Good experience with the Rem Model 770

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rthillusa
Posts in topic: 1

Good experience with the Rem Model 770

Post by rthillusa »

I bought a Remington Model 770 (Youth Model) from Cabela's last fall so I would have something to take deer hunting and something my grand-kids could shoot. The reviews I read said it was OK, but most long-time shooters said to take a pass because it was cheaply built and you would be better off saving a few more hundred and buying a real gun. I paid $300, for the 770 in a .243. Scope included.

I've run maybe 150 rounds thru it and here is my experience.
1. It is definitely made to a price point. Bolt is sloppy until it cams down, but then rock solid. Safety feels cheesy and clicks loudly. The magazine has come apart in my hands twice on the range which left me pretty frustrated as I struggled to get it back together. Trigger is OK, but no one would call it match-grade.
2. The gun feels good in my hands. I like the poly-carbonate stock. I like the mat finish. It balances well. It is the youth model and is short, but so am I, so it fits me well.
3. That gun can SHOOT! 3rd time out I shot about a 1.5 MOA group dead center in the target. I've still got the target in my closet. I thought that was pretty good.
4. That gun can SHOOT. Went out with my Brother-in-Law a few weeks back. He is a big time gun nut, over 15 years guiding for major outfitters, and shoots way into the 1000s of rounds a year. We reloaded some of my brass with 85 grain Sierra Game King bullets and went out to shoot. He was trying out a brand new custom made rifle, a beautiful piece, handsome stock and a top of the line Leopold scope. He shot a few groups which were OK, but not what he, or I, would have expected from such a fine looking, expensive rifle. Almost embarrassed, I brought out my little $300 770. I just wanted to place well. B-I-L was spotting. First shot - he called out "center of target", 2nd shot "same hole", 3rd shot "same hole", 4th shot "same hole". 5th shot "same hole". I wasn't believing it, I thought maybe I was completely off the paper. But we went down range and there was one big ragged hole and you could see it was definitely multiple bullet strikes. I put my little 770 away with much more respect than I had taken it out with.

Your mileage may vary - but it looks like Remington put the money where it mattered on the model 770. The one I ended up with is the best shooting gun I have ever owned.

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Good experience with the Rem Model 770

Post by hirundo82 »

Glad to hear you've had a good experience with your 770, but you're the first happy owner I've ever heard of. I've heard lots of stories where the poor build quality has caused major issues with the function of the gun.

If they were the only game in town for that price point it might make sense to buy one. However, the Stevens 200 and Marlin X7 series are both available for the same or less (I bought a NIB Stevens 200 for under $200 a couple years ago), and both have a far better reputation.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”