Barrett rec 7 in 5.56 opinions

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Monker10
Posts in topic: 6

Barrett rec 7 in 5.56 opinions

Post by Monker10 »

Hello everyone I have been looking around for an ar style rifle in 5.56. I am in the mindset of wanted to have a firearm in each major caliber just so I am not limited in options. One of the rifles I have been interested in the Barrett rec 7 chambered in 5.56. The price was too steep though at 2100 dollars, but I just recently found one at 1630 dollars. I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this rifle and if this is a good price. I have seen a few good reviews online. I am thinking I might pick this one up but wanted a bit more feedback before I decide. Thanks in advance :tiphat:

Medic218
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Barrett rec 7 in 5.56 opinions

Post by Medic218 »

No experience with it but it appears that you're more than likely paying for the name stamped on the rifle.

If you want a good AR platform rifle for a lot less check out the Sig 516 or Sig M400.
Although not an AR the Sig 556 is also another good option.
All of these can be found brand new for between around 900.00-1200.00 depending of configuration.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

sxd45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sxd45 »

Or you could just get a FN Scar, Or a Bushmaster ACR. Then again you could fall back on just getting a AR-15 for 600-900
Online App: 9/12/11
Fingerprints: 9/13/11
Class: 9/17/11
Mailed: 9/19/11
Manufacturing pending: 9/28/11
Manufacturing: 9/29/11
Mailed: 10/01/11
Plastic: 10/07/11

Topic author
Monker10

Post by Monker10 »

I like the scar but for 2500 dollars not so much. the acr was initially my first pick and I could have picked one up for 1300 but had concerns with the way bushmaster and Remington was handling it. Bushmaster is making the civilian sportster model while Remington is making the real deal that is only available to military/Leo. Seems a bit elitist to me. If I could get a semiauto Remington version with the aluminum lower and 1/7 barrel twist that would be awesome but it doesn't look possible.

I also looked into the sig 516 and really like it but am wondering about quality issues I have heard from sig sauers other rifles. But still I am considering it and can get one for about 300 less than the rec 7. So I am down to the Barrett rec 7 for approx 1600 or a sig 516 for 1300. This will probally be the only ar that I will own so I want a good quality one that will last forever. I do like that Barrett put a stop to sales of their products to California government agencies since they banned .50 calibers. But is that fact worth 300 dollars?
Last edited by Monker10 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

I believe the reason Remington is handkeing the military version is because Remington already has a branch that supplies the military. Bushmaster and Remington have the same parent company; I don't really see anything "elitist" about it. On the original topic; I have heard good things about Barret rifles but you could probably get an equally good rifle for less coin.

Topic author
Monker10

Post by Monker10 »

To get a piston operated ar I don't know of any cheaper than that. If you have any ideas of some throw them my way ;-)

Medic218
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Medic218 »

I've got a Sig 556 and love it. No problems to date.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Monker10 wrote:To get a piston operated ar I don't know of any cheaper than that. If you have any ideas of some throw them my way ;-)
$999
$1095
$1509
$1500 w/ Aimpoint
$1600

Topic author
Monker10

Post by Monker10 »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
Monker10 wrote:To get a piston operated ar I don't know of any cheaper than that. If you have any ideas of some throw them my way ;-)
$999
$1095
$1509
$1500 w/ Aimpoint
$1600

Those all looking interesting thanks for the Info! :tiphat:

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Dead set on piston? I think a colt LE 6920 should be the default AR 15 choice. Mine was an LMT MRP. Piston parts are proprietary and LMT has them a plenty.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
Monker10

Post by Monker10 »

Yep I am pretty set on a piston. I have a dsa fal and I love it! It's what I have experience with. The problem is the fal is pretty heavy with the steel upper and long barrel so I would like to get a carbine that's a bit lighter with a smaller round to keep on target. I have been entertaining the idea of doing three gun competitions. The barret I was looking at got sold :grumble I took to long and when I tried to order it buds website was acting up and didn't let me complete the order. So I guess I am back to the shopping around stage.

Steve133

Post by Steve133 »

Monker10 wrote:Yep I am pretty set on a piston.
I'll second MedicMan's opinion - the Sig 556 is a pretty solid choice and is consistently on the low end of the price range for "AR-like" piston guns. I've had one for 3 years or so now, and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't shoot 3-gun matches (though I'd like to at some point), but I think that the 556 would work well for that application.

I think that most of the complaints about the Sig 556 among the internet tacti-cool crowd stem from the fact that it's not an AR. Professional reviews that I read before buying mine (which, even taken with the grain of salt that they're probably brought to you in part by Sig-Sauer, I trust more than random internet yahoos) don't mention significant problems, and I certainly haven't discovered any.

Topic author
Monker10

Post by Monker10 »

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and great advice. I looked at several of the weapons you mentions and there are some really excellent ones out there. In a perfect world I would like to own them all but that doesn't exist. The Barrett rec7 I was eyeing at buds gun shop popped up again for the same price and as I was saddened that the first one was gone I took the leap and purchased this one. It was a bit more pricy than most of the other ar's but since this will more than likely be my first and only ar I want one I can trust. Again while several of the other rifles mentioned in this tread are great I really liked the engineering simplicity of the rec 7. (just my own humble opinion). The piston system is similar to my dsa sa58 and I have confidence in that rifle. I also liked that the the bolt and bolt carrier are nickel Teflon coated like some of the other higher end ar's that I would have had to special order and pay more for. Let's hope that my gut was right in buying this rifle. I will post my Impressions and range report when it comes in. Take care.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Monker10 wrote:Thanks to everyone for your opinions and great advice. I looked at several of the weapons you mentions and there are some really excellent ones out there. In a perfect world I would like to own them all but that doesn't exist. The Barrett rec7 I was eyeing at buds gun shop popped up again for the same price and as I was saddened that the first one was gone I took the leap and purchased this one. It was a bit more pricy than most of the other ar's but since this will more than likely be my first and only ar I want one I can trust. Again while several of the other rifles mentioned in this tread are great I really liked the engineering simplicity of the rec 7. (just my own humble opinion). The piston system is similar to my dsa sa58 and I have confidence in that rifle. I also liked that the the bolt and bolt carrier are nickel Teflon coated like some of the other higher end ar's that I would have had to special order and pay more for. Let's hope that my gut was right in buying this rifle. I will post my Impressions and range report when it comes in. Take care.
Good stuff; I've always been a fan of buying what I want. Sometimes you buy what others want and end up with buyer's remorse because you settled instead of getting what you want. Always follow your gut. Don't forget to post a range report.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”