My new hunting rifle!

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
v-rog
Posts in topic: 4

My new hunting rifle!

Post by v-rog »

quest
Last edited by v-rog on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My new hunting rifle!

Post by jeeperbryan »

Nice setup. I really like the Tikkas. Sometimes you can get them on sale pretty cheap at Sports Authority of all places.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Nice rig there v-rog. Where do you hunt in the Crowell area? Be careful on your hunting trip to Crowell, hunter was shot on the river there two weeks ago. Happened before 6:30 am, shooter thought he was a feral hog.

Topic author
v-rog

Post by v-rog »

At Teacup Mountain. It is about 12,000 acres. Thanks for the heads-up...sometimes I get mistaken for a hog. Oh, wait a minute, that is what my wife calls me when I get second helpings. neewmaannn! :lol:
Sidro wrote:Nice rig there v-rog. Where do you hunt in the Crowell area? Be careful on your hunting trip to Crowell, hunter was shot on the river there two weeks ago. Happened before 6:30 am, shooter thought he was a feral hog.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

I have T3 Hunter in 300wsm & love it. Believe you will yours. Some folks dont like varget but I sure do [abbreviated profanity deleted] my 308.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

longtooth wrote:I have T3 Hunter in 300wsm & love it. Believe you will yours. Some folks dont like varget but I sure do [abbreviated profanity deleted] my 308.
Varget is all I use for .308. There may be better choices, but I'm having such good results with the Varget (3/8" 4 shot groups at 100 yards) that I'm afraid to change! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
longtooth wrote:I have T3 Hunter in 300wsm & love it. Believe you will yours. Some folks dont like varget but I sure do [abbreviated profanity deleted] my 308.
Varget is all I use for .308. There may be better choices, but I'm having such good results with the Varget (3/8" 4 shot groups at 100 yards) that I'm afraid to change! :lol:
Me Too.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

If you like Varget (I do) try also Alliant Reloder-15....see which one is more consistent in your rifle then stick with it. I settled on RE-15....but each rifle is different.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flintknapper wrote:If you like Varget (I do) try also Alliant Reloder-15....see which one is more consistent in your rifle then stick with it. I settled on RE-15....but each rifle is different.
I'll have to check, but if I recall correctly, Reloader 15 is mentioned as one of the powders for the .308 in the Lee manual.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
flintknapper wrote:If you like Varget (I do) try also Alliant Reloder-15....see which one is more consistent in your rifle then stick with it. I settled on RE-15....but each rifle is different.
I'll have to check, but if I recall correctly, Reloader 15 is mentioned as one of the powders for the .308 in the Lee manual.
It is mentioned in 3 of the 4 types of 165 grain projectiles.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Topic author
v-rog

Post by v-rog »

Thanks for the good information. I'll keep my eye on Alliant Reloader-15 as well as IMR 4895. First I'll go through Varget since I already have it.

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

v-rog wrote:
Deer hunting next weekend in Crowell, Texas!!

I used to hunt out there. Saw more Turkeys than I've ever seen anywhere in my life.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

08concours14

Post by 08concours14 »

I bought the very same rifle this summer and put the same scope on it you did, only without the BDC reticle. You will probably love shooting that rig. Mine will shoot near or sub-MOA with the four or five different factory loads I've tried. It basically shoots them all well, just like a couple loads better. It should be a real tack driver with hand loads. The only thing I've done so far is put a recoil pad on it to take the edge off the bench shooting. Enjoy, it's a good shooter.
Roy Sanderson, RPLS
Dallas, Texas
Springfield Arms XD40 Service
S&W Model 908 9mm

Topic author
v-rog

Post by v-rog »

That is good to know. Due to the rain, I haven't zeroed it yet. I'm itching to get out there...
08concours14 wrote:I bought the very same rifle this summer and put the same scope on it you did, only without the BDC reticle. You will probably love shooting that rig. Mine will shoot near or sub-MOA with the four or five different factory loads I've tried. It basically shoots them all well, just like a couple loads better. It should be a real tack driver with hand loads. The only thing I've done so far is put a recoil pad on it to take the edge off the bench shooting. Enjoy, it's a good shooter.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”