AR-15 trigger and hammer spring tweak

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Seabear
Posts in topic: 3

AR-15 trigger and hammer spring tweak

Post by Seabear »

Has anyone tried this? http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a set of JP springs coming so I decided to "tweak" the original springs in the AR I just got two weeks ago. I just got back from the range and I am VERY HAPPY. Maybe half the pull, and still fuctions flawlessly if not smoother. Double taps were like butter.

Maybe I should explain why I did this.

I bought a Like New custom AR. Spikes lower with basic kit, JSE upper with an 18" stainless barrel 1-8 .556 ,Yankee Hills Diamond free floating quad rail, magpul slanted grip, hougue pistol grip, magpul stock, Vortex strike fire red dot sight,yada yada yada. LOL

Mucho Fun.

Decided to enter my first carbine match last Sunday and did pretty well considering I had a flash hider not a break, (one will be here tomorrow) and was shooting Winchester Wbox 193. Only had one misfeed, but I also had the trigger pin start walking out which made things a real pain during the third stage of the match.

We pushed it in and added pasters to both sides of the lower to keep it in.

Once I was home and could tear it down, I realized the hammer spring was backwards as well as the pins. With the spring backwards it was uncoiling the spring upon cocking the hammer. It made for a very nice trigger pull. Once I turned it around like it should have been you dang neear could not pull the trigger. No gauge, but I'm guessing 8-9 pounds. After this little tweak above I bet it is half of that and feels soooo much better. I didn't bother with the polish, I will get to that later , I just wanted to see how she ran with the springs cut and bent. :thumbs2: :thumbs2: Two thumbs up.

I am not sure of the durability of this set up, so I will change it out soon, it was more of an experiment than anything else.
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Sidro
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR-15 trigger and hammer spring tweak

Post by Sidro »

Have done this to several rifles and it worked on all of them. The only drawback to this is some ammo(most is army surplus) has hard primers and you will get misfires from too light of a hammer strike. Most commercial ammo works great though and you have a heck of a lot better trigger when this is done.

Topic author
Seabear

Post by Seabear »

This afternoon I put about 40 rounds combined of Tula steel case .223, Federal 193's and Winchester White Box 193 , and they all went bang. I went back to Wally World and bought the rest of the Tula they had at $4.96 , wished it was still $4.26 like it was recently.

So far I am stoked, when my Miculek break gets here tomorrow I will see how it goes. Without the break I double tapped through a 30 round mag at 25 yards at 2 12 inch plates like if I was in a match, and they were all in about a 6" group. I bet the break will help that. This is gonna make my speed go to the next level. :anamatedbanana

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Did my AR like that back right after I put it together. It's so good I decided there was no point in spending any money on an aftermarket unit.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Seabear

Post by Seabear »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Did my AR like that back right after I put it together. It's so good I decided there was no point in spending any money on an aftermarket unit.
I'm thinking the same thing. :iagree:

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Seabear wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Did my AR like that back right after I put it together. It's so good I decided there was no point in spending any money on an aftermarket unit.
I'm thinking the same thing. :iagree:
Have to agree.

A friend has been doing his AR triggers like that for many year and recently did mine. It works well enough that I can't justify spending more money on aftermarket trigger parts or units.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Thanks for posting. I have a couple of lowers to build, I'll use this
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”