Any SCAR fans here?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
shipwreck
Posts in topic: 5

Any SCAR fans here?

Post by shipwreck »

Any other SCAR fans/owners here?

I've owned a few rifles up until I got the SCAR. Last had a Steyr AUG A3, that I sold to pay for the SCAR.

LOVE the SCAR 16! I like it much more than the other 5.56 rifles I have owned. I considered getting some other piston type of 5.56 rifle recently - just to have another. But, decided: why bother? I like the SCAR so much, and does everything I need it to.

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any SCAR fans here?

Post by jmra »

Yeah, but do you like it? :smilelol5:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Stamp that barrel ASAP. SCARs are great but the civilian barrel drives me bonkers.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Nice looking! :cheers2:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

I am holding till I see the new ARX-100.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
shipwreck

Post by shipwreck »

Beiruty wrote:I am holding till I see the new ARX-100.
I wanted that - but they went ahead and added that damn finger groove on the grip> And, the grip is part of the receiver - so, it can't be changed.

But it doesn't necessarily matter. Beretta has missed their promised delivery date on the rifle many times now. Many at the Beretta Forum wonder if we'll ever see one stateside. I hope so. But, I rent ahead and got the SCAR instead.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

FN are one of the most favorite gun maker, add to that Beretta then SIG.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

It's nifty, but...

But does it do anything that my Stag AR won't do? In the last several years, I've just gotten so accustomed to the Stoner design that I don't know if anything else would work as well -for me- or better. Since you said you've had several different rifle designs, what's your take, and why does the SCAR beat out other designs?

Topic author
shipwreck

Post by shipwreck »

JSThane wrote:It's nifty, but...

But does it do anything that my Stag AR won't do? In the last several years, I've just gotten so accustomed to the Stoner design that I don't know if anything else would work as well -for me- or better. Since you said you've had several different rifle designs, what's your take, and why does the SCAR beat out other designs?
I hear that all the time from the AR fans. And, many AR fans will never be satisfied with anything but an AR. If that is what ya like - nothing wrong with that.

I personally like piston rifle designs - much, much easier to clean.

Admittedly, my very first rifle was a PS90 - I had two at one time, and I still have one. It spoiled me, as it takes less than 5 minutes to clean it. It's actually a blowback design, but it runs super, super clean...

ARs are more labor intensive when it comes to cleaning. The amount of time can vary depending on what you consider "clean." Piston 5.56 rifles are usually a snap to clean - the piston itself is the dirtiest part, and ya only really need to soak it in solvent and come back later and scrub it with a scotchbright pad later.

The SCAR is supposed to be statistically more reliable, but most people don't put enough rounds thru a rifle to make a difference one way or the other. Of course, for every few people I see who talk about AR reliability, I've seen some that complain that they are always having problems. And, these are not newbies either...

Admittedly, parts are more expensive for the SCAR, but I really like the ergonomics and the rifle itself. And, I can sdtock a few common spare parts if need be. EVerything else should last a while on it...

It's sorta the same argument - is the $500 1911 the same as the $3000 1911? It's really what you want.

I previously had an MSAR STG AUG I liked, and also had a Steyr AUG A3 earlier this year.

But, I got the Steyr when the SCAR prices jumped over $3k during the height of all that madness. Wasn't gonna pay that. During the summer, I picked up a SCAR again and it had me wanting. I ended up selling the Steyr AUG and using the $ for the SCAR. I shoot better groups with the SCAR, and i think it's what I really wanted to begin with. I did want the FDE one - but I got the one I have at almost cost to the dealer. It wasn't worth $300 or so just for the color...

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

why'd you put the light up on top of the gun behind the front sight? Wouldn't it be easier to work down by the front grip like when those are put on pistols?

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I haven't shot a SCAR yet, but I'm anxiously awaiting to find a 17 in FDE under $2,500 (I might have to wait a while). I love the feel and the weight.

And if I like the 17, I might end up selling an AR or two and picking up a 16...
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Topic author
shipwreck

Post by shipwreck »

AdioSS wrote:why'd you put the light up on top of the gun behind the front sight? Wouldn't it be easier to work down by the front grip like when those are put on pistols?
I have since moved it down in front of the forward grip.

Originally, on the Steyr Aug I previously had, it was the best place to put it. There is much less rail space... And, I just got used to it there... One advantage of having it on the top rail of the SCAR is that it gives you the least amount of barrel shadow in front of you. So, if you entered a room with the light on, it isn't as obvious that you are carrying a gun by the shadow. You get that more on the SCAR when it is mounted on the side or the bottom.

But, it is now on the bottom, and that detachable rail point is not on a side rail.

Topic author
shipwreck

Post by shipwreck »

SCAR with some decoration to it :)

Salty1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Salty1 »

I am looking to sell my FNAR and picking up a SCAR 17, the reason I want the 17 is that I have about 900 rounds of 308 loaded already and like the additional distance of the 308. They are expensive though, my cost on the 17 is $2499.00 plus will need 4 or 5 additional mags. Has anybody shot the 17? If so what are your thoughts on accuracy and felt recoil?
Salty1

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”