Poll: What would be your only rifle?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

what caliber for your only centerfire rifle?

8 mm mauser
0%
6mm Rem
No votes
243 Win
2%
7mm-08 Rem
0%
25-06
1%
260 Rem
0%
270 Rem
4%
280 Rem
0%
308 Win
30%
30-06
23%
7.62x39
6%
5.56/223
24%
50 BMG
No votes
Other
9%

Total votes: 239

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Poll: What would be your only rifle?

Post by MeMelYup »

Crash wrote:I have a Howa 1500 in .308 with the 20" bbl and Hogue youth overmolded stock. It has done great on medium-sized game (a total of 15 whitetails, Fallow, and a 200-lb feral hog--all with one shot). I don't even notice the recoil and it will shoot 1", 3-shot groups at 100 yds off a bench as long as I do my part. I wouldn't hunt the big bears with with, and maybe not even a moose, but I'd use it for anything else in North America. I slipped and fell on a rocky slope a couple of years ago, dinged up the scope, and broke the plastic spacer between the stock and the recoil pad in three places. In the center break it pushed the spacer in about a quarter of an inch. I pulled it out with a paper clip, glued the three breaks tight and took it to the range expecting the worst. Shot a 3/4" group! I may buy other rifles in other action types and calibers, but this one stays with me forever.

Crash
Now that's shooting.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Maxwell »

Being an old Texas Boy I love my 30-30 Marlin for getting through brush and dropping anything it hits. But I do understand the allure of a 30.06.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

bloodhound13

Post by bloodhound13 »

I recently (last year) decided to stop hunting with my M1A's, and decided to get a "beater" truck rifle. Went to Academy and purchased the Savage Axis .308, Leupold mounts/rings, and Nikon BDC 3-9X40 glass. All for right at $550. Three whitetail last season and two feral pigs later, it still holds zero and can drive a 3 round group sub-MOA at 100 yards. I have many other rifles I spent a pretty penny on, but I talk about this one the most due to the bang for your buck, and you get a lot for such a minimum entry fee.

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ghostrider »

Is the 270 Rem in the poll really meant to be 270 Winchester ?
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

JCole

Post by JCole »

One rifle for all purposes? Marlin 1894C, .357 Magnum.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Crash wrote:I have a Howa 1500 in .308 with the 20" bbl and Hogue youth overmolded stock. It has done great on medium-sized game (a total of 15 whitetails, Fallow, and a 200-lb feral hog--all with one shot). I don't even notice the recoil and it will shoot 1", 3-shot groups at 100 yds off a bench as long as I do my part. I wouldn't hunt the big bears with with, and maybe not even a moose, but I'd use it for anything else in North America. I slipped and fell on a rocky slope a couple of years ago, dinged up the scope, and broke the plastic spacer between the stock and the recoil pad in three places. In the center break it pushed the spacer in about a quarter of an inch. I pulled it out with a paper clip, glued the three breaks tight and took it to the range expecting the worst. Shot a 3/4" group! I may buy other rifles in other action types and calibers, but this one stays with me forever.

Crash
How did you get all those animals to line up in the trajectory of a single projectile, and what bullet / powder load did you use? :lol:

Fixed it for ya:

a total of 15 whitetails, Fallow, and a 200-lb feral hog--all with one shot each.

Sorry - that was just too good to pass up! :mrgreen:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Excaliber wrote:

Crash
How did you get all those animals to line up in the trajectory of a single projectile, and what bullet / powder load did you use? :lol:

Fixed it for ya:

a total of 15 whitetails, Fallow, and a 200-lb feral hog--all with one shot each.

Sorry - that was just too good to pass up! :mrgreen:
As MeMelYup said above, "Now that's shooting." :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

M1a in .308 given the limitations, but a scoped 30.06 savage bolt or model 70 would be a really close thought. I carry a lever .357 in the Gator or on the tractor most of the time on the ranch.
Life member NRA and TSRA

GunnerMike

Post by GunnerMike »

drjoker wrote:If you hunt, could only have one centerfire rifle, and have a limited buget of $1000, what would be your only rifle?

Please post the rifle caliber, make & model.
Me personally.....I've tried a bunch of different calibers..makes etc but I always go back to my 6.5 Swedish Mauser bolt action . Just something about it that feels right and its hard to beat the ballistics..recoil and game it can take down. Just my honest opinion

gemini

Post by gemini »

ghostrider wrote:Is the 270 Rem in the poll really meant to be 270 Winchester ?
I think so. I'll also endorse the .270 Win as my choice. (.270 wsm might be nice too).

rmoraes

Post by rmoraes »

B"H
I'll get .308 please. Got my DMPS from Academy, under 1k. or Rem 700 heavy barrel (got for under $450 late 90's :clapping: )
Rick KG5VKX
NRA Life Member - NRA Pistol Instructor
Glock and Sig Sauer Armorer

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

My vote is a bolt action .308 any day of the week. I don't care the make or model, as long as it's a decent action and good barrel, it will do it's purpose, and .308 is fairly affordable and plentiful. I think it likely the #1 all around most popular round for anything and everything, and for good reason.

I just picked up a Savage Axis II that is camo'd out for $300 after mail in rebate from Bass Pro. A great deal on a decent rifle IMO.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

dlh

Post by dlh »

VMI77 wrote:
karder wrote:Remington 700 BDL in 30.06. :tiphat:
You must have a hard shoulder. I don't remember it bothering me back in high school, but last time I shot one I was so battered and bruised after about 5 rounds I quit shooting. I turned it over to my son and he gave up after about 10 rounds. A Garand would be my choice for 30-06.
I also have a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06. The recoil was unpleasant so I recently purchased a thick recoil pad and put on it. Seems to kick just a little more than my .243 now. Not a scientific test, just "feel."

An even more unpleasant gun to shoot is my bolt action 300 Winchester magnum. It comes with a recoil pad and is still unpleasant to shoot. I might get a muzzle-brake installed for it. But I like the 300 Winchester magnum cartridge. Think of a 30-06 on steroids. :)

dlh
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

dlh wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
You must have a hard shoulder. I don't remember it bothering me back in high school, but last time I shot one I was so battered and bruised after about 5 rounds I quit shooting. I turned it over to my son and he gave up after about 10 rounds. A Garand would be my choice for 30-06.
I also have a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06. The recoil was unpleasant so I recently purchased a thick recoil pad and put on it. Seems to kick just a little more than my .243 now. Not a scientific test, just "feel."

An even more unpleasant gun to shoot is my bolt action 300 Winchester magnum. It comes with a recoil pad and is still unpleasant to shoot. I might get a muzzle-brake installed for it. But I like the 300 Winchester magnum cartridge. Think of a 30-06 on steroids. :)

dlh
When I was a kid we called them "sissy pads" and no one would be caught dead with one on any of their guns. After trying to sight in that 700 I bought "sissy pads" for several of the non-semi auto center fire rifles I hadn't shot in awhile. I've got a .303 and shooting that doesn't bother me, I guess because it's so much heavier than the BDL. The only thing I've shot that was as or more unpleasant than my 700 is an 870 12 ga loaded with 3" magnum slugs. I decided that 2 3/4" slugs were just fine, but even better in a semi-auto.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

This.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”