What Ammo to buy for my AR-15

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 1

What Ammo to buy for my AR-15

Post by jayinsat »

I'm looking for advice on what I should use as defensive ammo for my AR-15 build. It's chambered in 556 and has cycled every fmj i've put through it. I understand the pistol caliber defensive ammo concept but am clueless when it comes to rifle calibers. I don't hunt and this gun is used for plinking and competition mostly. In between range trips i'd like to have a mag loaded up with home defense ammo but don't know what I should use.

Please advise. :tiphat:
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What Ammo to buy for my AR-15

Post by suthdj »

I buy cheap junk ammo for range and pre-frag or frangable for HD. Others will have other ideas, watch an read then pick your best option.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

howdy

Post by howdy »

I really don't think it matters all that much with the .223/556. Watch this video: The FMJ is devastating.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had more than one AR-15 and I kept them locked in my safe. This was before they all fell in the lake. My everyday home defense weapon is the gun I am carrying when awake or a 12 gauge and .357 magnum at night.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

THIS is what I keep loaded in my AR-15 for potential home defense use. It's surprisingly accurate in my 1:7 twist barrel. I get about 1 - 2 MOA at 100 yards, so it's plenty accurate for short range.

Here's a gel test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nqK_APlpdQ

My #1 concern is over penetration in a HD situation. This ammo may be slightly lacking in the penetration department but, being .223, I feel I can make up for that with volume (# of shots on target).
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

prince312

Post by prince312 »

suthdj wrote:I buy cheap junk ammo for range and pre-frag or frangable for HD. Others will have other ideas, watch an read then pick your best option.
I don't think cheap junk ammo is advisable, because just the name "cheap junk" it would mean used and I guess it is no longer reliable. Imagine the word junk (waste in meaning).
Gotta check my expandable baton

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

In rifles, you would not want to be shot with any rd, FMJ or otherwise. As for over penetration. make sure no beloved is in the front or back of the BG.

Here is a video: [video][/video]
Last edited by Beiruty on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

For home defense, I've used pretty much any 55 grain softpoints I can get my hands on. Praise God I've never had to actually use my AR for HD, but my logic is that:
  1. a soft point bullet will be even more devastating and effective at inside-the-home ranges than an FMJ,
  2. at those short ranges, sub-MOA accuracy is not really a consideration, and therefore it really isn't necessary to spend money on match-grade or high-end hunting ammo as long as the ammo you buy will feed reliably in the gun, and
  3. a softpoint is less likely to be barrier-blind or over-penetrate than an FMJ.
I think that (A) is an even bigger consideration if your AR is an SBR, where failure of a bullet to perform due to reduced velocity can be a concern.

I am going to be building a suppressed SBR in 2015, and then I think it becomes a very practical HD weapon.....for the handiness of short length, yes, but primarily for the reduced noise. Only an idiot actually wants to pull the trigger on a firearm inside the home, without ear protection on. When I first built ARs, I did keep one ready for home defense in my bedroom, but at some point I came to the conclusion that perhaps a 12 gauge shotgun was a more practical choice for inside the house, and that's what I've kept in the bedroom ever since. But a suppressed SBR might be an even better choice.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I use M193 or any M193 clone I have on hand. I also will use 55 grain soft point ammo. CorBon DPX is highly regarded. Like Beiruty said, you really don't want to be shot with any rifle loaded with Spitzer ammo. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

I keep mine loaded with Speer Gold Dot 64 grain softpoint, mainly because that's what's issued at work, and over the past several years I've managed to accumulate a small supply from the "leftovers" after qualifications. Were I to buy my own, I'd probably go with something in the 55-62 grain range, but still expanding.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

prince312 wrote:
suthdj wrote:I buy cheap junk ammo for range and pre-frag or frangable for HD. Others will have other ideas, watch an read then pick your best option.
I don't think cheap junk ammo is advisable, because just the name "cheap junk" it would mean used and I guess it is no longer reliable. Imagine the word junk (waste in meaning).
Let me phrase, the lowest cost ammo
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Weg

Post by Weg »

DRS 55 grain, never had a problem.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_i ... tal-jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weg

Post by Weg »

DRS 55 grain, never had a problem.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_i ... tal-jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cajunautoxer

Post by cajunautoxer »

I use Black Hill's 68 grain JP myself. I have 56 rounds loaded in my "bump in the night" AR

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

I use 75 grain Hornady TAP. I'll spare you the pictures, but they've done massive damage to the deer I've shot.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

my primary everyday hd weapon is a pistol then shotgun so i dont have many options besides m855 or m193 fmj which i would not hesitate to rely on

I only have a couple of mags worth of the whiz bang type ammo like the 75gr hornady tap type of ammo. the 77 gr black hill mk262 mod 1 would also be a good choice. however this is expensive to buy in bulk so i dont have much on hand. i probably should stock up on it a little more to get at least a few
mags worth. maybe 210 rds (7 mags). 6 in chest rig 1 in gun. that should suffice any hd situation. if not then m855 or m193
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”