Helo hunt for feral hogs.

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

User avatar

baldeagle
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 5240
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#16

Post by baldeagle » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:15 pm

WildBill wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
WildBill wrote:
couzin wrote:I'm waiting for one of these companies to put a huey in the air, doors off, and shooters hanging out the door on bungees cutting loose the "pig" while flying at treetop. Yeeeehaaaa!
Do you want a hunt or a massacre? ;-)
The purpose of a helo hunt is eradication, not meat supply.
Why would you paid a couple of grand to eradicate hogs on somebody else's land?
I know some Vietnam vets who would love to do that, because it would bring back the memories that others have alluded to in this thread. I would do it simply because I know the hogs are a huge problem. I would be helping out while getting to enjoy a chopper ride shooting full auto weapons. Very few people get to do that.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

User avatar

couzin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 964
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: Terrell, Texas

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#17

Post by couzin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:01 pm

CoffeeNut wrote:
couzin wrote:I'm waiting for one of these companies to put a huey in the air, doors off, and shooters hanging out the door on bungees cutting loose the "pig" while flying at treetop. Yeeeehaaaa!
Can we blast Ride of the Valkyries as we open up on them?
Now you are talking!!!
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#18

Post by rotor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:20 pm

cb1000rider wrote:
cyphertext wrote: I wouldn't pay $2000, but I could see $400 - $500 for a couple hour helo hunt, with the ability to go gather a couple up for meat.
I'd pay $500 for a few hours in a helicopter time.... That's probably not shy of what it costs to operate a piston (low end) helicopter for about 3 hours....
I have a helicopter rating (previous R22 owner) and am going to give some very rough estimates. Fuel for an R44, perhaps 20 gph at $5.50 per gallon $330 ( my estimate), insurance probably $50/hour (my estimate), engine and repair per hour $50 (my estimate), pilot salary ($30/hour- my estimate). Perhaps they can do it for $870 per 3 hours assuming, not figuring interest on the loan to buy one of those things which is probably close to a million. My figures are just a rough guess at raw cost if they own it outright, perhaps dad bought it with oil money or something. $2,000 an hour is more like a reasonable figure for someone that has a banknote to pay off.

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 10351
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#19

Post by jmra » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:25 pm

rotor wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:
cyphertext wrote: I wouldn't pay $2000, but I could see $400 - $500 for a couple hour helo hunt, with the ability to go gather a couple up for meat.
I'd pay $500 for a few hours in a helicopter time.... That's probably not shy of what it costs to operate a piston (low end) helicopter for about 3 hours....
I have a helicopter rating (previous R22 owner) and am going to give some very rough estimates. Fuel for an R44, perhaps 20 gph at $5.50 per gallon $330 ( my estimate), insurance probably $50/hour (my estimate), engine and repair per hour $50 (my estimate), pilot salary ($30/hour- my estimate). Perhaps they can do it for $870 per 3 hours assuming, not figuring interest on the loan to buy one of those things which is probably close to a million. My figures are just a rough guess at raw cost if they own it outright, perhaps dad bought it with oil money or something. $2,000 an hour is more like a reasonable figure for someone that has a banknote to pay off.
Or for someone who is trying to run a for profit business.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

User avatar

92f-fan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:08 pm
Location: North of Dallas

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#20

Post by 92f-fan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:19 pm

Civilian Insurance for letting people hangout and shoot things has to pretty high ...
Assume the policy starts at the cost of main rotors and goes up


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#21

Post by rotor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:00 pm

92f-fan wrote:Civilian Insurance for letting people hangout and shoot things has to pretty high ...
Assume the policy starts at the cost of main rotors and goes up
I was wondering if it was even available. This is probably considered pretty high risk flying and perhaps the R44 is insured but the occupants? I can just see the underwriters trying to figure out how to compare the risks on this commercial venture. This might be THE limiting factor. I mentioned that I used to own an R22. Insurance is what got me out of flying small helicopters. Or rather lack of money to pay for the insurance.


cb1000rider
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2505
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#22

Post by cb1000rider » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:41 pm

rotor wrote: I have a helicopter rating (previous R22 owner) and am going to give some very rough estimates. Fuel for an R44, perhaps 20 gph at $5.50 per gallon $330 ( my estimate), insurance probably $50/hour (my estimate), engine and repair per hour $50 (my estimate), pilot salary ($30/hour- my estimate). Perhaps they can do it for $870 per 3 hours assuming, not figuring interest on the loan to buy one of those things which is probably close to a million. My figures are just a rough guess at raw cost if they own it outright, perhaps dad bought it with oil money or something. $2,000 an hour is more like a reasonable figure for someone that has a banknote to pay off.
Trade for Cherokee time? Which runs about $75/hr actual cost :-)
I'm looking for a ride. My wife is afraid that I'll pursue the rating.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#23

Post by rotor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:40 pm

cb1000rider wrote:
rotor wrote: I have a helicopter rating (previous R22 owner) and am going to give some very rough estimates. Fuel for an R44, perhaps 20 gph at $5.50 per gallon $330 ( my estimate), insurance probably $50/hour (my estimate), engine and repair per hour $50 (my estimate), pilot salary ($30/hour- my estimate). Perhaps they can do it for $870 per 3 hours assuming, not figuring interest on the loan to buy one of those things which is probably close to a million. My figures are just a rough guess at raw cost if they own it outright, perhaps dad bought it with oil money or something. $2,000 an hour is more like a reasonable figure for someone that has a banknote to pay off.
Trade for Cherokee time? Which runs about $75/hr actual cost :-)
I'm looking for a ride. My wife is afraid that I'll pursue the rating.
Listen to your wife cb1000rider. I figured once that when flying my R22 if I had a significant problem and didn't make the right corrective decision within 1-2 seconds I would be a brick falling from the sky that perhaps helicopters (small gasoline ones) were not for me. Now in that Cherokee you can drop your maps on the floor, bend over and pick them up, no big deal, let go of things, sneeze, swat that bug on the windshield, etc. Not in a helicopter. Changing the radio was a major job and looking at a map was about impossible. GPS was unheard of (I did have Loran). I just sold my last plane and am out of aviation. Helicopters were the most difficult (and expensive). My last plane was a C150 aerobat. A true gem.


Itnkrman
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#24

Post by Itnkrman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:44 pm

A few years ago (03-11) I lived in San Antonio and owned and flew a powered parachute. Greatest flying experience I've ever had! Lot's a very cool Youtube videos showing take-off, landing and the whole experience if you're interested in see more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_parachute

At the time all you needed to fly one of these was $6k for the machine and ~$150 for the instruction and a sport pilot's license. Upkeep cost was parachute lines and fabric repair, the occasional prop blade and fuel. (~$1k/yr) If you were handy, and I am, you could do you own annual or time based maintenance. So flight cost per hour was very low. That all ended in 2010 when the FAA took anything with wings under it's sole control and the new regulations made it very cost prohibitive for most casual enthusiast like me. Now you have to obtain a "real" pilots license with all the added bureaucratic fees and requirements.

However, even with the lax regulations on flying one of these aircraft back then, the FAA has strict rules about anything (including projectiles, balls, beanbags, etc) from leaving the plane. We had to apply for a permit to hunt hogs and fire weapons from the air. I never got one but apparently they weren't hard to get because I had a couple of flying friends that had them and hunted on a regular basis. They made arrangements (signed waivers, etc.) with the local land owners around them and patrolled on a regular basis. Win-Win for both parties.

I really miss the flying part but like others have said, I can't really appreciate slaughters with no acknowledgement to what nature has provided. I'd like to see a coordinated effort between hunters and food banks. Again, I see that as a win-win-win in so many ways.
Ruger SR9c
Taurus PT640 Pro
Bersa 380
Stevens 20ga.

User avatar

VMI77
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6096
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm
Location: Victoria, Texas

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#25

Post by VMI77 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Abraham wrote:As I've aged, my interest in shooting critters has vastly slackened. Heck, I feed doves that once I shot by the thousands.

Would I shoot a hog to eat, not only yes, but I've done so in my own back yard, but the idea of simply slaughtering animals just to slaughter them really doesn't appeal to me where once it might have.

Yes, if they cause the kind of damage they can be known to cause, that is plowing up acres of land that cause grief for the land owner, then yes, an eradication program is necessary. But, flying around to shoot and not eat though makes me sad, even though necessary.

As a younger guy, I shot all sorts of critters (especially as a teenager with a .22 cal rifle) that I now regret shooting.

I know a lot of us older guys look back with some regret with our shooting histories...
I did the same things when I was young and I feel exactly like you do about it.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

User avatar

Syntyr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

#26

Post by Syntyr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Remo Williams
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Post Reply

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”