Helo hunt for feral hogs.

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
saltydog452
Posts in topic: 1

Helo hunt for feral hogs.

Post by saltydog452 »

I 'thought' shooting from a moving vehicle was a big no-no.

Does that apply to helo hunting as well? I may have an opportunity to have a hand in this venture if I can get all of priorities nailed down.

Thanks,

salty

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Helo hunt for feral hogs.

Post by baldeagle »

You could hunt hogs with a howitzer if you wanted to. Helo hunts are definitely allowed, as are automatic weapons.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

couzin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by couzin »

I'm waiting for one of these companies to put a huey in the air, doors off, and shooters hanging out the door on bungees cutting loose the "pig" while flying at treetop. Yeeeehaaaa!
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

couzin wrote:I'm waiting for one of these companies to put a huey in the air, doors off, and shooters hanging out the door on bungees cutting loose the "pig" while flying at treetop. Yeeeehaaaa!
Do you want a hunt or a massacre? ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

WildBill wrote:
couzin wrote:I'm waiting for one of these companies to put a huey in the air, doors off, and shooters hanging out the door on bungees cutting loose the "pig" while flying at treetop. Yeeeehaaaa!
The purpose of a helo hunt is eradication, not meat supply.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

rotor

Post by rotor »

You must be very wealthy (or a dreamer). I would love to watch but can't afford to participate in a Huey. The State actually does hire helicopter pilots to fly in controlled feral pig hunts in some areas. I don't know who the lucky shooters are and I guess for them it is just a job. For some of us we would pay to do it. Just couldn't afford it in a Huey. I believe in Jacksboro they do it in an R44 which is more affordable.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

If you're really serious (and you need to have cash to be serious), Google helo hog hunt. Here's a few I found right away:

http://www.helihunter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; $2500 per HOUR, but they're booked for 2015. They're taking reservations for 2018 now.
http://www.cedarridgeaviation.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; $2150 for the first 2 hours, $1000 for each additional hour

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

Hmmm. Where did I put my pilot's license? :txflag:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

baldeagle wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Why would you paid a couple of grand to eradicate hogs on somebody else's land?
NRA Endowment Member

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

WildBill wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Because I don't have my own land to eradicate them on? I wouldn't pay $2000, but I could see $400 - $500 for a couple hour helo hunt, with the ability to go gather a couple up for meat.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

cyphertext wrote: I wouldn't pay $2000, but I could see $400 - $500 for a couple hour helo hunt, with the ability to go gather a couple up for meat.
I'd pay $500 for a few hours in a helicopter time.... That's probably not shy of what it costs to operate a piston (low end) helicopter for about 3 hours....

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

cyphertext wrote:
WildBill wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Because I don't have my own land to eradicate them on? I wouldn't pay $2000, but I could see $400 - $500 for a couple hour helo hunt, with the ability to go gather a couple up for meat.
Operating costs per hour for the helicopter alone would exceed what you stated you would be willing to pay. That doesn't include paying the pilot or the land owner. $2000 for that kind of hunt is not out of line at all.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

cb1000rider wrote:
cyphertext wrote: I wouldn't pay $2000, but I could see $400 - $500 for a couple hour helo hunt, with the ability to go gather a couple up for meat.
I'd pay $500 for a few hours in a helicopter time.... That's probably not shy of what it costs to operate a piston (low end) helicopter for about 3 hours....
:iagree: When I was flying in small helicopters for offshore work back in the 90s operating cost per hour was about $300 just for the craft.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

As I've aged, my interest in shooting critters has vastly slackened. Heck, I feed doves that once I shot by the thousands.

Would I shoot a hog to eat, not only yes, but I've done so in my own back yard, but the idea of simply slaughtering animals just to slaughter them really doesn't appeal to me where once it might have.

Yes, if they cause the kind of damage they can be known to cause, that is plowing up acres of land that cause grief for the land owner, then yes, an eradication program is necessary. But, flying around to shoot and not eat though makes me sad, even though necessary.

As a younger guy, I shot all sorts of critters (especially as a teenager with a .22 cal rifle) that I now regret shooting.

I know a lot of us older guys look back with some regret with our shooting histories...

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Can we blast Ride of the Valkyries as we open up on them?
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”