New .308 semi auto

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
74novaman
Posts in topic: 8

New .308 semi auto

Post by 74novaman »

Didn't have a .308 semi auto. Decided to fix that.

PTR 91 with a German A3 stock. Shot it like this and despite it's typical description as a meat tenderizer, didn't think it was too bad. Either way I've got more magazines, a sling and a normal fixed stock on the way too.

Big fan of this thing so far.

TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Re: New .308 semi auto

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Very nice! The main reason I didn't acquire one of these a while back is what the fluted chamber does to spent brass, pretty much eliminating reloading your own ammo. But other than that, these are very cool. There is nothing quite like having a .308 battle rifle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

loktite
Posts in topic: 1

Post by loktite »

How far was it ejecting your brass? ( "a country mile" was referenced when reading reviews elsewhere )
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

loktite wrote:How far was it ejecting your brass? ( "a country mile" was referenced when reading reviews elsewhere )
I didn't have a measuring tape, but "a way" would be a good description.

TAM, mine was banging up the brass a little. I've heard there are some fixes and I might give one a try. But I don't reload at the moment anyway, so it's academic at this point.
TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man

74novaman wrote:
loktite wrote:How far was it ejecting your brass? ( "a country mile" was referenced when reading reviews elsewhere )
I didn't have a measuring tape, but "a way" would be a good description.

TAM, mine was banging up the brass a little. I've heard there are some fixes and I might give one a try. But I don't reload at the moment anyway, so it's academic at this point.
As long as you're not reloading for it, then this is a great platform to bang away with mil-surp 147-150 grain ammo. And if you're not going to reload, then who cares if it throws the brass into the next county, as long as it doesn't throw it down your shirt, or bounce off your wife's head (NEVER a good thing)? Like I said, I've always thought they were a very cool rifle.

Having obtained a SCAR 17S, I've got a rifle of similar intent and operation, but the buy in and aftermarket are a whole lot more expensive. So if ambidexterity weren't important to me, you've got something nearly as good. I like FALs too. Heck, I like them all. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Having obtained a SCAR 17S, I've got a rifle of similar intent and operation, but the buy in and aftermarket are a whole lot more expensive. So if ambidexterity weren't important to me, you've got something nearly as good. I like FALs too. Heck, I like them all. :mrgreen:
Very nice. There are, frankly, better options in .308 these days than the G3 style rifles, including the SCAR and some of the .308 AR options.

But a G3 was always one of my "I want one of those" guns, so while it isn't as ergonomic or easy to reload or manipulate as more modern options, it sure is fun.

It'll be good enough for hogs and range days, anyway. :cool:
TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man

I used to feel the same way about M1A rifles too. I had wanted one ever since I was a boy, so when I finally got mine (and I am STILL kicking myself for trading it away), it was a "scratch the itch" kind of thing. It was replaced by a custom built AR10 SASS rifle which I sold not long after getting my SCAR. The AR10 was alright, and it was really accurate with the right load, but it just never spoke to me the way my M1A did. I like the SCAR a lot, and I'll be keeping this one.

But I'd still like to add a PTR or a FAL to my safe someday.....or maybe both. The bottom line is that you will not only have tremendous fun with it, but you've also got a VERY good "something arises" rifle.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

The Annoyed Man wrote: But I'd still like to add a PTR or a FAL to my safe someday.....or maybe both. The bottom line is that you will not only have tremendous fun with it, but you've also got a VERY good "something arises" rifle.
The real problem I have now is that Atlantic sells 12" PTR pistols.

I've always thought a 12" G3k clone with the A3 stock would make an awfully handy little truck/beat around the ranch with type gun.

Must. Resist. :biggrinjester:
TANSTAAFL

sass2924
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sass2924 »

I've got a CETME kit I may put together some day ( Spanish clone of the G3) Neat rifles and look good with the wood furniture.

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

sass2924 wrote:I've got a CETME kit I may put together some day ( Spanish clone of the G3) Neat rifles and look good with the wood furniture.
You've actually got that backwards. CETME came first, and the G3 was based on the CETME design after the Belgians refused to let Germany build the FAL in their own plants...still touchy about being invaded twice in a quarter century I suppose.

So if anything, the G3 is a clone/decendant of the CETME.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Thanks Andy.

One of my favorite gun "what ifs" has always been the adoption of 7.62x51 as NATO standard. There were a lot of interesting, potentially better designs out there that got tossed to the wayside thanks to US Govt's backing of our "need" for a .30 cal rifle.

The whole intermediate cartridge/assault rifle concept might have gotten a 20 year head start if it wasn't for the western world's brief flirtation with the battle rifles.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

A "proper" stock, sling and a bunch of mags came in today:

TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man

One of these days, we're going to have to have a Forum Battle Rifle Day. :mrgreen:

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”