Suppressor build success

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 31

The Naked Suppressor !!

Post by der Teufel »

Here's the 'nekkid' photo — without the cover. It looks pretty much like TAM's with the Griffin adapter.

I got the stamp between Christmas and New Year's, and quickly put it together. Then nature and family obligations conspired to prevent me from trying it out until last week. I'm pretty happy overall. With subsonic ammo my 300 Blackout sounds about like a .22 now.
Last edited by der Teufel on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Re: Suppressor build success

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Excellent! Congratulations on getting it put together. Fun, isn't it?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Excellent! Congratulations on getting it put together. Fun, isn't it?

It was indeed a fun and interesting challenge. If the Hearing Protection Act passes, I'll probably do another one or two.

I noticed, however, that the links on page 2 of this thread that TAM originally posted regarding parts from SD Tactical Arms are now 404 and I can't find the threaded tubes on their web site. I wonder if they're undergoing some changes, or if they've quit offering component pieces. I may have to call and find out what's up.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

der Teufel wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Excellent! Congratulations on getting it put together. Fun, isn't it?

It was indeed a fun and interesting challenge. If the Hearing Protection Act passes, I'll probably do another one or two.

I noticed, however, that the links on page 2 of this thread that TAM originally posted regarding parts from SD Tactical Arms are now 404 and I can't find the threaded tubes on their web site. I wonder if they're undergoing some changes, or if they've quit offering component pieces. I may have to call and find out what's up.
The ATF shut them down a few days ago. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... rap-parts/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 9

Post by maverick2076 »

They are still selling muzzle breaks and the adapter for them, as well as the challenge coins and completed suppressors. They are no longer selling tubes or end caps. There are other sources out there for those parts that will match up with SDTA parts.

der Teufel

The Fun Continues …

Post by der Teufel »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
AndyC wrote: Pro-tip - cut your blast-chamber about 1/8" longer than you measured, because the plugs will settle a little bit after the first 10 rounds or so.
Yep yep yep! He's right. It may take 100 rounds, but it WILL settle in.
You guys were correct!

I've probably shot ~125 rounds through my suppressor so far, and it continues to settle in and require tightening. What I'm finding is that as I do this, the point of aim shifts. I was out at my hunting spot last weekend, and just couldn't shoot straight! Every time I'd start getting consistent results, the suppressor would require tightening and I'd start all over. I visited the local range this afternoon, and had the same experience. It does seem to be getting better but it's not stable yet.

This afternoon I first shot the rifle without the suppressor, just the Griffin muzzle brake, and was able to produce two shots touching at 50 yards twice in a row. So, I figure the rifle is good. I mounted the suppressor, and it shot six inches low. I got it to center, but then it started moving, which meant it needed to be tightened. I went through this activity 4-5 times before I concluded I just need to shoot it more and let it do it's thing. As mentioned above, the variation does seem to be decreasing so I think it's getting where it wants to be. I'm thinking it should settle in soon.

Going out to the hog hunting spot again this weekend, and I'll shoot some more! Hmm, I better get busy loading ammo …
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

I salute all of you talented guys who build your own suppressors, wow, I'm in awe.

As you may ascertain from my post above, I have neither the tools or talent or confidence to build a suppressor. If I tried it'd be a Homer Simpson special, which would undoubtedly explode with the first shot, wrecking my gun and catching at least 12 nearby homes on fire.

Now, on to a few questions: Does anyone here think the cost of suppressors will go down dramatically "IF" the HPA passes?

I think I read (somewhere...?) that reasonable quality, if not very good quality suppressors sell for much lower cost in other parts of the world.

True?

False?

Thanks!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

AndyC,

Thanks.

The only reason I'd like to have them on any gun is noise reduction to the point (maybe) I would only have to wear electronic ear pro. Currently, I cram custom in ear plugs and electronic muffs over them. It's kind of a pain...

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

AndyC wrote:Hmmmm. Are you using the challenge coin inside the can to keep it tight?

Mine uses no coin (because I literally forgot about it during the build, dummy that I am) but I've had no issues keeping mine tight onto the Griffin device.

I didn't use the challenge coin based on earlier comments. The suppressor isn't coming loose at the Griffin muzzle brake, but rather at the connection between the muzzle end cap and the tube. I have to keep tightening the tube to the cap. I made the spacer about 1/8" long in order to allow me to take up slack as it developed, and that's turned out to be a good suggestion. As the freeze plugs have compressed together the cap/tube connection requires tightening.

Perhaps I should try putting in the coin. In my build I have the large spacer into which the Griffin muzzle brake extends, then the first baffle (into which I drilled four extra small holes as you described in one of your posts). I then have a much smaller spacer, just over 1/2" in length, then the second baffle with two small holes. The rest of the tube is just plain baffles. I could replace the small spacer with yet a slightly smaller spacer and add the challenge coin. The overall length wouldn't change. If I continue to see problems perhaps I'll do that.

OTOH, I'm hoping the internals will soon compress down and stop changing - at which point I expect things to normalize.

We'll see …

Meanwhile, I greatly appreciate all the advice and encouragement I've received so far!
--
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Abraham wrote:I salute all of you talented guys who build your own suppressors, wow, I'm in awe.

As you may ascertain from my post above, I have neither the tools or talent or confidence to build a suppressor. If I tried it'd be a Homer Simpson special, which would undoubtedly explode with the first shot, wrecking my gun and catching at least 12 nearby homes on fire.

Now, on to a few questions: Does anyone here think the cost of suppressors will go down dramatically "IF" the HPA passes?

I think I read (somewhere...?) that reasonable quality, if not very good quality suppressors sell for much lower cost in other parts of the world.

True?

False?

Thanks!
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... opinion-3/
Today, while the market waits to see if the bill is going to pass, suppressor companies are seeing demand drop significantly. In fact, suppressor giant SilencerCo has announced a series of layoffs due to cratering demand as buyers are looking to potentially avoid the recently enacted 41F rules. As an FFL myself, I’ve seen my suppressor transfer business crater in the last month alone.

If the HPA does not pass, it will largely be a return to business as normal, with likely steady increases in NFA items sales as the ATF works to get down processing times under the new administration and as the demand for suppressors increases.

But… what if the HPA passes?

I see three phases to the post HPA world.
I think the author has a pretty good handle on how things will play out if it passes.

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Thanks for posting the link.

Lot's of good information.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”