Walmart Sells "Seconds"?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Walmart Sells "Seconds"?

Post by VMI77 »

TxLobo wrote:I read a story similar to this, but it was about Snapper... Walmart contacted Snapper and wanted them to build a Snapper mower for Walmart, but they wanted it built for XXX.XX amount that they could sell to the public.

Snapper told them that it would reduce the quality of the mower to make it cheap enough that Walmart could sell.. and declined to make it..

http://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-wh ... o-wal-mart

Guns, I don't know if they pressure the manufactures to sell models that have less features.. ?
This practice is widespread. I bought a Husqavarna mower at Lowes and have had all kinds of problems with it. After doing a little research I discovered that Husqavarna and just about everyone else that makes mowers makes cheaper models for big box stores like Lowes. Seems like a very short-sighted practice to me. My only experience with that manufacturer is with a product inferior to the product they built their reputation on. I'll never buy another one.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

fickman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fickman »

I can't speak to this topic regarding guns.

In electronics, the manufacturers commonly produce different models numbers for the different stores. Unfortunately, some of my college tuition was paid using commission checks from Circuit City and Sears. . . I noticed the following things:

Often, a model number would have one different character in it from store to store for the same product, or an extra character appended to the end. Sometimes this was done to:
- Prevent price matching
- Allow the manufacturer to better track sales at the different retailers and know their origin
- Offer different qualities to the discerning public.

An example was the Sony XBR line. You could find a Sony TV at Walmart, Sears, and Circuit City that looked identical, but only Circuit City (of those three) would also offer the XBR line, which had significantly upgraded specs (and price). To generalize, the Walmart TV buyer differentiated on price and was happy to get a Sony TV that looked identical to the more expensive ones at the other stores. The quality-differentiating consumer appreciated the difference in specs and would pay more for it.

I also saw the phenomenon regarding store branding first-hand. At Sears, we carried Kenmore made by GE and Kenmore made by Whirlpool. This was during a bad time in GE quality control, and there was a major difference between two similar-looking items, but you had to know what you were looking for.

Walmart puts so much price pressure on their suppliers that some brands definitely create a product variant with an altered model number and changed a few components to save cost. I don't believe I ever saw this done with an exact matching model number, though.
Native Texian

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 15

Post by cyphertext »

VMI77 wrote:
TxLobo wrote:I read a story similar to this, but it was about Snapper... Walmart contacted Snapper and wanted them to build a Snapper mower for Walmart, but they wanted it built for XXX.XX amount that they could sell to the public.

Snapper told them that it would reduce the quality of the mower to make it cheap enough that Walmart could sell.. and declined to make it..

http://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-wh ... o-wal-mart

Guns, I don't know if they pressure the manufactures to sell models that have less features.. ?
This practice is widespread. I bought a Husqavarna mower at Lowes and have had all kinds of problems with it. After doing a little research I discovered that Husqavarna and just about everyone else that makes mowers makes cheaper models for big box stores like Lowes. Seems like a very short-sighted practice to me. My only experience with that manufacturer is with a product inferior to the product they built their reputation on. I'll never buy another one.
In this scenario though, you would not find the same mower (same part number, same SKU) at the Husqavarna dealer.

The last gun I purchased at Walmart was a Ruger American in .308 for my son. No, it is not the top of the line for Ruger (let's just clear that up). It was on clearance for $189. It is model # 06903, with SKU 736676069033. I am able to find the same model #, and the same SKU on Ruger's webpage, as well as available for sale from a number of dealers, including my local shops. Even when not on clearance, Walmart sells this particular gun at a lower price than the local shops, but there is nothing to make me believe that the higher priced one at another store is any different.

This was purchased when Walmart made the announcement that they were not going to sell ARs any longer. I did ask why it was marked down as much as it was and was told that they were clearing out inventory to make room for the new hunting inventory coming in. The rifle I bought was also the display.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

fickman wrote:I can't speak to this topic regarding guns.

In electronics, the manufacturers commonly produce different models numbers for the different stores. Unfortunately, some of my college tuition was paid using commission checks from Circuit City and Sears. . . I noticed the following things:

Often, a model number would have one different character in it from store to store for the same product, or an extra character appended to the end. Sometimes this was done to:
- Prevent price matching
- Allow the manufacturer to better track sales at the different retailers and know their origin
Why unfortunately? You were employed and being paid, you weren't paying with someone else's tax dollars.

Red: An essential component of the price matching scam for certain items.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

cyphertext wrote:
In this scenario though, you would not find the same mower (same part number, same SKU) at the Husqavarna dealer.
Yes, the practice may be unadvertised but I'm not suggesting it is hidden, if you look for it. However, they are taking advantage of ignorance and trading off a reputation earned selling a different quality of products. To sell the one model seemingly identical to the other but constructed with inferior components would be fraud and they're smart enough not to do that.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WildBill »

VMI77 wrote:
fickman wrote:I can't speak to this topic regarding guns.

- Prevent price matching
Why unfortunately? You were employed and being paid, you weren't paying with someone else's tax dollars.

Red: An essential component of the price matching scam for certain items.
I noticed the same thing with the model numbers on appliances at the big box stores.
NRA Endowment Member

Lena
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lena »

Slightly different here:
I used to be part owner of 2 gun shops, very often we got in several of a particular model especially for a sale, they all had different wood some very plain and in 1 rare instance it was beautiful++++++, we let customers pick from what we had.
Last year at Walmart a clerk stated to my friend that he had several more in the back and would he like to pick his purchase from them. Which was above being nice. I have never had a problem there at all.
Stay Safe

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

So, after 6 pages, can we all agree on the following?

Walmart sells the same, like for like product as other shops when the model and UPC are an exact match.

Walmart may have items exclusively made for them, and the model # and UPC will differ from a comparative model at a competitors store. This does not mean that the item is a factory reject, but it may have different specifications, thus allowing for a different price.

Walmart carries predominately lower end firearms on hand, such as Remington 870 Express, as these items move better in a retailer such as Walmart. Walmart does have the higher end products available, however stock can vary from location to location, and some higher end items may have to be ordered.

SA_Steve
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SA_Steve »

no way,
that would kill the forum
You may have the last word.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

SA_Steve wrote:no way,
that would kill the forum
:lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Lena wrote:Slightly different here:
I used to be part owner of 2 gun shops, very often we got in several of a particular model especially for a sale, they all had different wood some very plain and in 1 rare instance it was beautiful++++++, we let customers pick from what we had.
Last year at Walmart a clerk stated to my friend that he had several more in the back and would he like to pick his purchase from them. Which was above being nice. I have never had a problem there at all.
I sold guns in the 60's and 70's. I already posted about some of the higher end guns we sold in a discount chain, but one thing I noticed way back when. Remington firearms always had the nicest walnut stocks; I'm talking really nice. Many of even the non-deluxe models had enough burl and figure to rival the high end guns we sold as well as some custom stock makers. I saved the nicer ones for my good customers. The ones who didn't accuse us of selling seconds. There I even tied it to the OP. :biggrinjester:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:
I sold guns in the 60's and 70's. I already posted about some of the higher end guns we sold in a discount chain, but one thing I noticed way back when. Remington firearms always had the nicest walnut stocks; I'm talking really nice. Many of even the non-deluxe models had enough burl and figure to rival the high end guns we sold as well as some custom stock makers. I saved the nicer ones for my good customers. The ones who didn't accuse us of selling seconds. There I even tied it to the OP. :biggrinjester:
And I have three of them. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote:
puma guy wrote:
And I have three of them. :mrgreen:
You can be my back-up should someone challenge me. :smilelol5:

Lena
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lena »

The gun I mentioned was a Rem 1100 12 ga, we got several in prior to bird season, when opening the box to record the SN# I almost died, the usual 1100's then had pressed checkering and the bowling pin gloss finish, this one metal wise was just like all the rest but had to have premier or F grade wood, satin lo gloss finish and real cut checkering, as you I called a very good customer and it was bought, he still has it. I thought about selling mine and keeping this one but due to the looks of the wood I would have never hunted with it and had to get another one !
Stay Safe

fickman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fickman »

VMI77 wrote:
fickman wrote:Unfortunately, some of my college tuition was paid using commission checks from Circuit City and Sears. . .
lol - just adding a brief editorial to the story. . .

I definitely don't miss the days of commissioned sales at a major retail chain - especially the extended service plans, which was the only chance of really making money. I'm grateful for the jobs and how they shaped me.

:tiphat:
Native Texian

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”