Honest using rifle/ truck rifle ?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Honest using rifle/ truck rifle ?

Post by bigtek »

Mxrdad wrote:Mines an old Mossberg 12 ga SB pistol grip that shows signs of daily wear and tear. Not a rifle but sill.... Wait, is a shotgun a rifle?
Does it have a smooth bore or a rifled bore?
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mxrdad »

Its smooth, but I dont tell it that. I dont want to hurt its feelings. Wait, we dont need puppy therapy. We won!
Just some guy's opinion.

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Lena wrote:Just wondering what some others use, I live rural and out with livestock daily.
I never know if it is going to be shot today once one several times
ROMAK with an empty chamber and full ten round magazine of JSP. I also keep a few loaded standard capacity magazines handy, but the ten rounder is less likely to snag on a seatbelt or something else. It's not a perfect solution but I don't worry about it getting banged up and I trust it to go bang when I need it. Also, I bought a couple during the previous POTUS administration when they were $300.
ABIDE

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

Country boys carry lever guns. ;-)

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
Lena
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Lena »

Mt marlin lever 22 rf gets a lot of ATV use I traded a leather recliner for it years back, great rifle
Stay Safe

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I think that M1 Carbines are pretty neat little truck guns, but I'm too attached to mine to carry it. It's in near-pristine condition, and it was a gift from my son, commemorating my dad. But it I had an old beat up one that I didn't care that much about, it would be a good choice. It seems to me that the modern love affair with either 9mm carbines (or carbines in other pistol calibers) and carbine conversions (that convert your Glock or whatever into a carbine) is a bit of an attempt to recreate the handiness of the M1 Carbine. Unlike some, I don't discount the .30 carbine round as a "pistol caliber". Just because you can buy bolt action handguns chambered in .308 Winchester, that doesn't make .308 Winchester a "pistol caliber". The .30 carbine cartridge was designed from the ground up as a rifle caliber — albeit a weak one when compared to other rifle cartridges. On the other hand, it was absolutely perfect (as was the gun it was designed for) for it's intended purpose of engagements at relatively close quarters.

So whether or not it makes a good "truck gun" today kind of depends on what your possible uses might be. If you're intending to be able to pot coyotes across a 200 yard bean field, then it's not a good choice. If you're intending to kill hogs inside of 25-50 yards, then it's a possibly acceptable choice. If you're intending to stop a burglar or someone trying to steal your horse out of your barn, again, it's a perfectly acceptable choice. Personally, I think that the only common sense "general purpose" truck rifle would be one of intermediate caliber, which disqualifies the M1 carbine, and explains the overwhelming popularity of the AR15, and the continued popularity of anything chambered in .30-30, or 7.62x39. My guess is that if manufacturers had continued to make M1 carbines for public consumption in greater quantities post-WW2, they'd be more popular today than they are, and the ammo would cost a whole lot less than it does and be a whole lot more available than it is. In fact, I think that the Ruger Mini-14 / Mini-30 gained in such popularity in part because it filled the vacuum that the M1 carbine left behind.

But for someone who has just a few acres, say 10 or so, an M1 carbine is still an ideal gun. You don't have to worry as much about terminal ballistics outside of your property lines, and the gun is light and handy enough to walk around with it, without feeling like you're hauling around a big chunk of rifle. And the cartridge is certainly up to anything you're going to have to deal with inside the confined spaces of a small property and its outbuildings.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:I keep a pump shotgun in my trunk - mostly with #1 buck but a couple slugs as well.
Me too except with 00 buck and slugs - I haven't been able to find any found #1. A 12ga JC Higgins (High Standard Flite King) I bought for 50 bucks at a garage sale. It patterns just as good as my Winchester Defender and wouldn't be a big loss should my truck get broken into or stolen.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

My Uncle carried two truck guns. A Browning pump in .22 mag and a model 70 in .300 Win Mag. He carried in Elk country and covered all the bases.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

puma guy wrote:
AndyC wrote:I keep a pump shotgun in my trunk - mostly with #1 buck but a couple slugs as well.
Me too except with 00 buck and slugs - I haven't been able to find any found #1. A 12ga JC Higgins (High Standard Flite King) I bought for 50 bucks at a garage sale. It patterns just as good as my Winchester Defender and wouldn't be a big loss should my truck get broken into or stolen.

Ammunition Depot has some but only in 5 or 250 round lots.https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/387-12- ... _buck_shot
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jusme wrote:
puma guy wrote:

Ammunition Depot has some but only in 5 or 250 round lots.https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/387-12- ... _buck_shot
Thanks, Jusme! I'll check them out.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

warpdrive

Post by warpdrive »

The Annoyed Man wrote:But for someone who has just a few acres, say 10 or so, an M1 carbine is still an ideal gun. You don't have to worry as much about terminal ballistics outside of your property lines, and the gun is light and handy enough to walk around with it, without feeling like you're hauling around a big chunk of rifle. And the cartridge is certainly up to anything you're going to have to deal with inside the confined spaces of a small property and its outbuildings.
Have you ever seen a bull jump a fence?
186,000 miles per second
It's not just a good idea, it's the law.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Mossberg MVP Patrol. 16.25" barrel bolt-action 5.56, takes AR mags, and wears a Bushnell 1-4 power scope. Also has basic irons if the scope breaks. Scope was $100 at Walmart. Not going to cry.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Or, you can just keep one of these adjustable stocks that slips into the bottom of the Glock17 grip, add a foregrip onto the front rail, and have a pistol caliber "carbine"...of sorts...without having to carry / secure a long gun...

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

warpdrive wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:But for someone who has just a few acres, say 10 or so, an M1 carbine is still an ideal gun. You don't have to worry as much about terminal ballistics outside of your property lines, and the gun is light and handy enough to walk around with it, without feeling like you're hauling around a big chunk of rifle. And the cartridge is certainly up to anything you're going to have to deal with inside the confined spaces of a small property and its outbuildings.
Have you ever seen a bull jump a fence?
No, but I've been chased out of a pen by a Santa Gertrudis bull. I was inside the pipe stall, and then I was outside of it. I don't believe that I touched metal with any part of my body, and the bull never harmed a hair on my head. Near as I can tell, I instantly beamed myself from one spot to the other. On that day, that was my superpower.

You're right, a .30 carbine is insufficient medicine for a bull that jumped the fence. But in that case, an AR15 probably isn't enough, and a .30-30 or AK might not be enough either. I once hunted a friend's lease, and hiked my way to the blind while it was still dark out. The neighbor ranch's nilgai water buffalos had a habit of knocking down the fence and wandering onto the lease. I was carrying a .308, and my friend told me before I departed to climb a tree if I ran across any nilgai and had any trouble, because the .308 wasn't going to be enough rifle.

So, what are you going to carry for a truck gun then......a Barret .50?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”