Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Post by gtolbert09 »

Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

loktite
Posts in topic: 1

Post by loktite »

Very nice! A lever gun is next on my long gun wish list. It *WAS* in front of the AR-7, but when Atwoods had the Henry AR-7 on sale for $199 for Black Friday, AND a $40 Atwoods gift card if you spend over $200, I couldn't resist "pulling the trigger" (added bag of candy to break $200 :mrgreen: .) Well done, TAM :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

gtolbert09 wrote:Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks
Well, a couple of reasons, I guess....... One is that I have a couple thousand rounds of .22 LR on hand, but no .22 WMR, and I don't really have a desire to add another rimfire caliber rifle that is caliber exclusive. I'm a lefty, and when I was looking at rifles yesterday before buying this Henry, I looked at a left handed Savage bolt rifle for rimfires, and decided against it because it was chambered in .17 HMR; and so far as I know, it is not safe to fire .22 LR in a .22 WMR chamber. Another reason is ease of availability. A third reason was that this Henry rifle will also shoot .22 Short and .22 Long, and I was thinking of my grandkids, and about when they get old enough to start learning to shoot (my granddaughter is 2-1/2 right now, and my grandson is 9 months old). I wanted to be able to start them off on something really soft shooting first.

I can see the utility of the .22 magnum cartridge, but I don't care enough about it to buy a gun dedicated to that caliber. For instance, I think the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is an interesting pistol, and so is the "matching" CMR-30 carbine, but I don't care enough about either one to get one, in part because they use .22 magnum. If I need to go up in the power continuum, I already have a 9mm carbine which is easy to shoot, and which not only shares caliber with my Glock pistols, but will accept my Glock pistols' magazines.

I very recently also bought a .30-30 Marlin (a decent shooter, but an otherwise kind of disappointing rifle). That added a new caliber to my inventory, but I plan to buy another .30-30 down the road, so I'm good with that......plus I can easily reload for it. Not so much a .22 WMR.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I'm drooling all over my shirt! :cheers2:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
gtolbert09 wrote:Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks
Well, a couple of reasons, I guess....... One is that I have a couple thousand rounds of .22 LR on hand, but no .22 WMR, and I don't really have a desire to add another rimfire caliber rifle that is caliber exclusive. I'm a lefty, and when I was looking at rifles yesterday before buying this Henry, I looked at a left handed Savage bolt rifle for rimfires, and decided against it because it was chambered in .17 HMR; and so far as I know, it is not safe to fire .22 LR in a .22 WMR chamber. Another reason is ease of availability. A third reason was that this Henry rifle will also shoot .22 Short and .22 Long, and I was thinking of my grandkids, and about when they get old enough to start learning to shoot (my granddaughter is 2-1/2 right now, and my grandson is 9 months old). I wanted to be able to start them off on something really soft shooting first.

I can see the utility of the .22 magnum cartridge, but I don't care enough about it to buy a gun dedicated to that caliber. For instance, I think the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is an interesting pistol, and so is the "matching" CMR-30 carbine, but I don't care enough about either one to get one, in part because they use .22 magnum. If I need to go up in the power continuum, I already have a 9mm carbine which is easy to shoot, and which not only shares caliber with my Glock pistols, but will accept my Glock pistols' magazines.

I very recently also bought a .30-30 Marlin (a decent shooter, but an otherwise kind of disappointing rifle). That added a new caliber to my inventory, but I plan to buy another .30-30 down the road, so I'm good with that......plus I can easily reload for it. Not so much a .22 WMR.
I've been wanting a Henry lever action for several years. If I hadn't recently purchased the Ruger 10/22 Takedown I'd be getting this one. Oh, well..added it to my "Wish List" at Grab A Gun who has it for $338. http://grabagun.com/henry-lever-action- ... t-bbl.html
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Just Curious, Thanks

Thank you for the clear explanation. I always enjoy your posts!!
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Nice rifle! My grandsons are about the same age as yours at 2 years and a crawling wall walker at 8 months. They both have brand new Savage youth single shot 22's waiting for them in the gun room. From there I will move them into lever action Henry's. I've never owned a Henry but I have a Winchester in .357 and Browning in .22 and those lever guns are fun rifles.

My dad always has a few Henry 22's on the shelf and they're very tempting. One can never have enough 22's!
III

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Welcome to the lever .22 world, TAM!! The Henry seems like a nice little rifle. I wanted a straight grip, octagon shortish barrel lever .22 a few years back and was lucky enough to find a 1970 Marlin Century Limited edition Model 39, which I thoroughly enjoy shooting.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Lena

Post by Lena »

Some years back I traded a leather chair for a lever action, I had the choice of 2 a Henry and Marlin I took both for a few days and shot them, a very definite difference with the Marlin shooting better, looks I liked the Henry better, the marlin is an original 39A no safety full length.
I really like lever guns but not only a few of mine seem to see daylight often sadly.
The best shooting 30-30 I ever shot was a Rem 788 bolt gun another story entirely there, I had a friend that made a 30-30 Ackley that was very impressive also, a real tack driver with good numbers.
Stay Safe

JRG

Post by JRG »

Skiprr wrote:
WTR wrote:
JRG wrote:I need to go to the Henry site and see if they offer that octagon barrel in a .357/.38. That would be hard for me to pass up!
Joe
You are in trouble.
Yes indeed he is in trouble. How about this "Rifleman" lever carbine, available in .357: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henr ... y-carbine/?

Or this original hardened brass receiver Big Boy?

TAM, I hate you. Officially. You and AndyC. You keep showing me new stuff to buy that I shouldn't be spending money on.

I may have to buy something new, and if I do, it will be your fault.
Oh my goodness!! I absolutely love the octagonal carbine look!! Dang it, you guys are so good at spending others money!!

Joe

rentz

Post by rentz »

Nice, I've been wanting a Henry for a while but was never able to decide on the .22lr or the .357

Wtxchooter

Post by Wtxchooter »

Received my first Henry for Christmas, round barrel, blued 30-30. Beautiful weapon, which I began hunting with immediately. Took a bad fall New Years eve, going up a rough spot I new better than to attempt and put a nasty gouge in the stock. I wasn't worried about it, as its a tool, and scratches are part of the weapons history and character. Emailed Henry to ask for a recommendation for a peep sight, and made mention of the fall and damage. They replied the next day with a recommendation for a sight, and would I send them my serial number for my rifle so they could send me a new stock, free of charge!!! I have heard about their customer service being great, but this blew me away. I love my rifle, love it's accuracy, love that it's made in the USA, "or not made at all", and I am blown away by the service they provide. Great company, and they will get more of my money!
STOP, OR MY WIFE WILL SHOOT!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Skiprr wrote:
WTR wrote:
JRG wrote:I need to go to the Henry site and see if they offer that octagon barrel in a .357/.38. That would be hard for me to pass up!
Joe
You are in trouble.
Yes indeed he is in trouble. How about this "Rifleman" lever carbine, available in .357: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henr ... y-carbine/?

Or this original hardened brass receiver Big Boy?

TAM, I hate you. Officially. You and AndyC. You keep showing me new stuff to buy that I shouldn't be spending money on.

I may have to buy something new, and if I do, it will be your fault.
I don't hate those guys, but now I envy TAM. I just missed a NIB unfired JM stamped (made before Remington) Marlin 336BL 30-30 for an amazing price! The guy had replaced the laminate stock with a Walnut and had ordered a regular lever and was including them in the sale. :banghead: :banghead: I didn't really need one, but I wanted one. Marlinitis is a curse! As TAM said to me, I will now have to attend a 12 step meeting!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Wtxchooter wrote:Received my first Henry for Christmas, round barrel, blued 30-30. Beautiful weapon, which I began hunting with immediately. Took a bad fall New Years eve, going up a rough spot I new better than to attempt and put a nasty gouge in the stock. I wasn't worried about it, as its a tool, and scratches are part of the weapons history and character. Emailed Henry to ask for a recommendation for a peep sight, and made mention of the fall and damage. They replied the next day with a recommendation for a sight, and would I send them my serial number for my rifle so they could send me a new stock, free of charge!!! I have heard about their customer service being great, but this blew me away. I love my rifle, love it's accuracy, love that it's made in the USA, "or not made at all", and I am blown away by the service they provide. Great company, and they will get more of my money!

I feel the same way about them, after my experience in getting my son's Eagle Scout edition, a new Henry is definitely in my future.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

Nice! I love the octagon barrels.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”