Pictures of your "Brown Guns"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

romeofox
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pictures of your "Brown Guns"

Post by romeofox »

Savage Model 87A
My Uncle scoped this .22 with a that Weaver K3-1 and gave it to me for my birthday in 1970 and it was bigger than me!
I could fill a pickup bed with all the rabbits and squirrels it’s taken! I can still snuff a candle at 50yds with it.
I no longer run behind the Beagles and kick brush piles
But...
I’m waiting for that special grandchild that will
Attachments
B307A828-A0FF-42E9-82AD-0A1127FE1758.jpeg

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 am Scott B.,

Would you get a 308 again (now that you have one) or would you go to a 30-06 for the next one. Reasons. I will only get one rifle (if I get that) and want to hear from those that have the 308.

Thanks
I see you are from Alvin area. I am blessed w/ several at my age. (70). I have several in 30 cal. My Mom's .25-06, An AR.
My .308 is a Ruger Gunsite Scout. I assure all shooters that is my "Go to Gun" for ALL hunting around the place here. Deer, pigs, an occasional coyote,
In the State of Texas a .308 will easily handle anything in the state as long as you hit what you shoot at. A non-vital area hit w/ 30-06 or larger will leave a hunter w/ a long and sometimes fruitless tracking job.
If I could only have one gun as you say, I would choose the .308 in a quality rifle w/ a quality trigger.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LTUME1978 »

longtooth wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:17 am
LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 am Scott B.,

Would you get a 308 again (now that you have one) or would you go to a 30-06 for the next one. Reasons. I will only get one rifle (if I get that) and want to hear from those that have the 308.

Thanks
I see you are from Alvin area. I am blessed w/ several at my age. (70). I have several in 30 cal. My Mom's .25-06, An AR.
My .308 is a Ruger Gunsite Scout. I assure all shooters that is my "Go to Gun" for ALL hunting around the place here. Deer, pigs, an occasional coyote,
In the State of Texas a .308 will easily handle anything in the state as long as you hit what you shoot at. A non-vital area hit w/ 30-06 or larger will leave a hunter w/ a long and sometimes fruitless tracking job.
If I could only have one gun as you say, I would choose the .308 in a quality rifle w/ a quality trigger.
Long tooth,

Thank you for the reply and sharing your information/experiences. I have not moved forward with the purchase of a Garand, I have a Remington 700 BDL that I bought back in 1979 or 1980 that had not been shot since 1985. The stock got messed up back then when I took it to a gun smith to have a recoil pad installed so I just let it sit. I was able to get a Magpul stock for it about 1 1/2 years ago at a good price so I bought it and put the rifle in that stock. Mounted a scope that I had as extra and bought some 30-06 match ammo (loaded for Garands) from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. After giving the barrel a good cleaning, I took it to PSC to see what it would do. Groups were 1 MOA or under (with the match ammo) with one group making one hole (big hole but one hole). That is probably all I will do for a 30 cal. I have a 6.5 Creedmore and several ARs. At age 64, I have a hard time being able to shoot them all as most of my range time is with pistols.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Cant go wrong w/ the 30-06. It has proved its worth for sure in the military and in the field.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

iratollah

Post by iratollah »

Friend had me take a photo of his Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde with social distancing gauge. IMHO, this may be one of the best looking shotties on the market today.
Attachments
Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde-2.jpg
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

equin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by equin »

iratollah wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 pm Friend had me take a photo of his Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde with social distancing gauge. IMHO, this may be one of the best looking shotties on the market today.
Wow! Very cool! Does it also come with the bayonet?
Ed

iratollah

Post by iratollah »

equin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:11 pm
iratollah wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 pm Friend had me take a photo of his Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde with social distancing gauge. IMHO, this may be one of the best looking shotties on the market today.
Wow! Very cool! Does it also come with the bayonet?
The Retrograde, like many of the 590A1, comes with a bayonet lug. The Retrograde accepts an M9 bayonet, in this image it's an OKC M9.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Scott B. »

That's a good looking shotgun.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have the regular black tactical version—same features minus the wood furniture and heat shield. It’s a great shotgun, and I have no regrets buying it. But I have to say, if this Retro version were available back when I bought mine, I’d have bought the Retro instead.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”