Recommendations for a .308 with Detachable Magazine

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Gunner4640
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommendations for a .308 with Detachable Magazine

Post by Gunner4640 »

I have a Mossberg Patriot with a walnut stock and 5 round mag 22" barrel that shoots great I put a Vortex Diamond-Back 4x12 on it.
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommendations for a .308 with Detachable Magazine

Post by MaduroBU »

An old Rem M700 with a new barrel and a magpul hunter stock and bottom metal won't be terribly expensive and will shoot very well. The trick is to find an old short action M700 action in good shape in a rifle that has seen better days. I just did this for my dad and I think the total cost came in at $1200. I think that I could've gotten it lower by looking for deals on the barrel and reusing the stock trigger rather than getting a new Timney. The magpul stock And bottom metal with one 5 round mag were $260 from Midway, and I bought an epoxy bedding kit which in retrospect I didn't need. Electrical tape, release agent, and some Marinetex epoxy worked great and would've been half the cost. A good .308 barrel can be had very cheaply on sale, and the cost to install it and true the action may be your biggest expense.

If precision doesn't matter, then maybe look at the Century Arms roller delayed guns.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”