Houston - Looking for used shotguns for skeet and sporting clays

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 2

Houston - Looking for used shotguns for skeet and sporting clays

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Are there any good places in the Houston area to find used, good condition shotguns for skeet and/or sporting clays? Looking for myself as well as my 12 year old son (5'1", 120 lbs). I would consider online retailers as well if there are any I should consider.

Would also appreciate suggestions on guns for beginners to skeet and sporting clays. Not looking for high dollar, but would like reasonable quality (I know, generally mutually exclusive, but want to at least ask).
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Houston - Looking for used shotguns for skeet and sporting clays

Post by Liberty »

You might try the pasadena gun show at the Pasadena Convention Center. They have one every couple of weeks. next one is May 26-27
http://www.ci.pasadena.tx.us/users/0033 ... vents1.pdf
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

mossberg 500 is a nice entry level shotgun imo
NRA Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:O/Us are nice but decent ones can be pricey; there's also the "fit" issue to consider, particularly when 2 guys will be sharing it. With that said, look into something like a Remington 1100 semi-auto, ideally with screw-in chokes.
The 1100 gets my vote! Try Gunbroker to get an idea of used prices. In the event you should decide on a 20 ga 1100 avoid getting the first generation which had full size frames. There's nothing wrong with the guns it's just difficult to find barrels and expensive. They didn't have interchangeable chokes. Look for LW or LT 20 ga guns. Good luck.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

AndyC wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:mossberg 500 is a nice entry level shotgun imo
Yeah - that's what I learned on, but its light weight made it a thumper (OP has a 12 yr old) and pump-guns are markedly more difficult to use on doubles for beginners. That said, it's definitely an option with the right chokes.
very true, and iirc mine came with 3 total chokes.
NRA Member

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

If you want really cheap, look at a few pawn shops. The problem there is knowing if what you are buying has issues.

I would just find an inexpensive pump action shotgun. Mossberg is probably the current goto brand. There are others, but I don't know what is good.

I have a Remington 1100. If you can find a used one, they are great deal, but I am not sure it is the best starter shotgun. A Mossberg 500 or older Remington 870 would be a good way to start and can always be switched over to a home defense gun later if you don't use it for skeet. I have an old JC Higgins 12 gage pump that I bought cheap many years ago. Still works well.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

For sporting clays and skeet, it depends if you want a break open O/U or a semi-auto. I would skip a pump.

Hard to go wrong with a good semi auto starting out. Used, start looking for a Beretta 391 or A400. Maybe an older Benelli Montefeltro Sporting. Remington 1100 is no slouch by any means and can be had fairly reasonably.

Over/Under bargains...may not actually be bargains in the long run.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

In pumps the Rem 870 and Mossberg 500 are hard to beat. Can often be found used, but even new they won't break the bank. I did recently borrow a Winchester SXP Trap in 12 gauge. Handled well, action was smooth, trigger was heavy and could be improved, but for $400 new it was a lot of gun for the money and busted clays faster than some of the semi-autos being used on the range that day. I was impressed and would consider one for myself if I was in the market for a trap gun. Definitely worth taking a look at.

Semi-auto's are more expensive, and typically the one's I've found used are usually dirty and ill cared for to the point of effecting function, i.e... many tended to jam and/or have ejections issues until thoroughly cleaned... and sometimes after that. Tore more than one apart to find that the gas seals were installed incorrectly. Replacing the gas seals on a used semi should just be part of the cleaning process when purchased.

A Remington 1100 is a good starting point and a hard gun to beat for the money, but can easily be twice what a pump would cost. If you can locate a used Beretta for a decent price, it would be good.

For someone just starting out, learning on a good solid pump with the extra money spent on ammo is never a bad way to go.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:mossberg 500 is a nice entry level shotgun imo
Yeah - that's what I learned on, but its light weight made it a thumper (OP has a 12 yr old) and pump-guns are markedly more difficult to use on doubles for beginners. That said, it's definitely an option with the right chokes.
I don't recommend a pump for skeet, even for an adult who is just a beginner. Although you can get used 870 Express and Mossberg's for 150 bucks trying to learn the fundamentals of shotgunning, shooting skeet all the while learning skills required to manipulate a pump is just too much for a 12 year old. I would start with an 1100 LW/LT for both of these fellows. With a skeet choke there's not that much difference in 12 ga 1 oz and 20 ga target shell patterns. The 20 Ga weighs about 7lb. VS 8lb. for the 12 Ga. You should be able to find a good used 1100LT for $350-400 with some patience, be sure it has interchangeable chokes.
BTW the full size 20 ga 1100 will have serial numbers ending in "X" or possibly "N". Unless you find one with a skeet barrel stay away.
Last edited by puma guy on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Beretta A300 Outlander is reasonably priced new and is a great gun for the money. When they first came out, I purchased one for my son and liked it so much, I went back and got myself one.

couzin

Post by couzin »

As suggested several times already, a Remington 1100. You can get them in good used condition for $350 to $450. I also don't recommend a pump - especially if that is your first shotgun and it will be only for clays games. Figure out how to shoot the various clays games, how the games are played per rules against other shooters, decide which one you like best, and then buy the gun for that game (or a sporting crossover if you find you like to shoot multiple games). I am better at trap, ok at skeet, and suck at 5 stand and sporting clays but really like shooting them. I have a couple Browning over/unders that fill my needs. I am not good enough to justify a Perazzi... ;-)
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Topic author
Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Thanks for all of the advice. :tiphat:
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

My very first shotgun( I still have it) was a Remington 870 pump. I got it when I was 17,many years ago :). I used it for Duck hunting and for Clays. Never had an issue shooting doubles or triples.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”