BAD lever type gadgets:

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

apostate
Posts in topic: 2

Re: BAD lever type gadgets:

Post by apostate »

MadMonkey wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:05 pm Or the Redi Catch, which allows you to use the actual magazine release to lock the bolt back:

But not to release the bolt, if it works like I imagine.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

apostate wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:31 pm
MadMonkey wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:05 pm Or the Redi Catch, which allows you to use the actual magazine release to lock the bolt back:

But not to release the bolt, if it works like I imagine.
No, not to release. But I rarely use the BAD lever for that purpose anyway, 90% of the time I just use it to lock the bolt back since the thumb falls naturally to press the bolt catch after reloading.

Locking the bolt back, especially during training, malfunctions or competition, is where the BAD lever really shines because it makes things a little less awkward (especially at ranges which frown on raising the muzzle above the berm, I see a LOT of people struggle with that rule).

Whether that's a big enough benefit to purchase and install one is up to the individual. If you're a top-tier competition shooter or door kicker, you might gain some speed using it to release the bolt, but for 99% of us a simple oversized bolt catch will be the better idea. Even a stock one if you want to do that boring practice thing :biggrinjester:

EDIT: Speaking of oversized, one thing to watch for is that the BAD lever gives a somewhat larger surface area to bump into, so when your rifle is slung it's a little easier to accidentally release the bolt. Just something to be mindful of... probably only an issue when training or competing, since an HD rifle or fighting rifle is hopefully going to have the bolt closed on a loaded chamber.
Last edited by MadMonkey on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Hot Dawg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Hot Dawg »

I have the Troy lever on mine. I am left handed so when I change magazines my right thumb releases the mag then after inserting right thumb hits the lever, better than reaching over to release the bolt.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:36 am
C-dub wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 am My BIL has put one on his AR and says he likes it. I could never get past it for the same reasons ya'll have kept from getting one or stopped and never got one for myself. Too close for comfort. I keep my carbine next to my bed. The circumstances where it would come into play are too risky for the small "convenience" on a bench at the range for my taste.

My BIL keeps his in his safe, not next to his bed.
I'm not sure I'm following the concern for this specific application. The ND issue seems to be there when you are reloading. Assuming that you keep your bedside gun loaded, this would only happen if you need to fire the 32nd round of an encounter, which seems unlikely in most HD scenarios. For the first shot your finger would be out of the trigger guard completely until you are ready to shoot. Of course, for the same reason, this device would also not have much benefit in a HD scenario.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to follow your concern here.
It would be a low probability as you noted, I don’t train as much as it appears that guy in the video has and how long did it take before he had the ND? I’m thinking that it might occur sooner rather than later for me if I were to have this device and then fin myself in a stressful situation.

However, I also didn’t see much of a benefit to having it in the first place. I keep a 40 round mag loaded in my carbine, soot would be a few more rounds before I needed to reload. Also, as you noted, that’s a lot more rounds than typically fired in an HD scenario. That further decreases the need for the probability that I would need to reload, but also decreases the need for such a device to decrease the reloading-ready time.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”