How would you help sell hundreds of guns ?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
92f-fan
Posts in topic: 4

How would you help sell hundreds of guns ?

Post by 92f-fan »

If you had a family member who lived out of state that was a collector, owned hundreds of guns and uncounted rounds of ammo.
Long guns and hand guns. Mostly military/historical type guns.

He has terminal cancer and has asked you for help in selling the collection to help increase estate.

What would you do ?
The guns are currently in a state with reciprocity w Texas.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How would you help sell hundreds of guns ?

Post by Tex1961 »

Depending on the driving distance. I would either drive to personally see my relative, talk about specifics for each firearm and pick up the guns and bring them back. Then list here and / or Texas Gun Trader. I'm sure the relative would expect some compensation such as a free gun or a small percentage of the take. If driving is impossible, and it sounds like a large and expensive collection. Using a freight company for delivery might work as well.

Topic author
92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

THanks

The delivery is pretty straightforward- If needed we will rent a truck.
The guns will be less of an issue than the ammo.

I've asked him to make a list of the guns because HE knows why they are cool and not everyone would.
He is an old friend and my FIL

I was more interested in the transfer issues if any.
Im selling the guns for him and his wife.
Do I have any liability or issues by helping with the transfers?
Are any forms required?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The transfer issues might well depend on the state that your FIL resides in. Some states get Draconian on this (Illinois, WA, CA, etc). Assuming he is a resident of a state that respects the US Constitution, that will be less of an issue.

I believe you will need to go through an FFL, at a minimum if he sells to folks who don't reside in his state, but I am not an expert on that.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have sold many a gun on Gun Broker and always received a premium for my guns. You could help him with the listings and he could use a local FFL to ship to the FFL of the person buying them.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:53 am I have sold many a gun on Gun Broker and always received a premium for my guns. You could help him with the listings and he could use a local FFL to ship to the FFL of the person buying them.
This definitely seems like the option that will lead to the least hot-water legally. Other options could have unintended results...

If need be, you could even box and label everything and take all the photos, then manage the sales from home and let him know which ones need to be shipped where.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

You need to have an FFL in the mix on your end. The FFL will take care of legal shipment. Don't just start selling them yourself, by any method. You can guarantee the BATFE will prosecute you for dealing in firearms without a license.

Chas.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have to back track a bit. My mind did not lock in on the "100 guns" part initially. My advice has more to do with selling and trading 3 or four a year or so.

Listing 100's of guns on Gun Broker might get some attention. LOL..

You would be like the character in Lord Of War. :biggrinjester:

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:57 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:53 am I have sold many a gun on Gun Broker and always received a premium for my guns. You could help him with the listings and he could use a local FFL to ship to the FFL of the person buying them.
This definitely seems like the option that will lead to the least hot-water legally. Other options could have unintended results...

If need be, you could even box and label everything and take all the photos, then manage the sales from home and let him know which ones need to be shipped where.
I need to clarify my statement a bit.

I meant, yes, you need to send through a FFL on your end (I agree with Charles). If you want to sell through Gun Broker or something similar, that would be easiest to manage (and would keep you from transporting 100s of guns across state lines) and you could manage from your house but yes, you need a FFL to send on your end.

Also, it should go without saying that you do not need to receive any sort of compensation for this. That would make it much worse. You are just helping your dad sell his firearms, without any form of compensation.

Good luck

omegaman

Post by omegaman »

If you had a family member who lived out of state that was a collector, owned hundreds of guns and uncounted rounds of ammo.
Is he related to a certain Nigerian prince?

flechero

Post by flechero »

I'm sorry that your FIL and family is going through this... I pray that his remaining time is of high quality & low pain... and that you all spend lots of time with him.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Have you considered a reputable auction house with experience in estate sales?
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

from BATF documents

https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

"Examples
While the determination of whether a person requires a federal firearms license is highly
fact-specific, the following examples are provided to show how the factors identified by
federal courts apply to common fact patterns. Of course, the existence or absence of other
facts not included in the examples may change the conclusion as to whether a person
is engaged in the business and therefore must be licensed; hence, these examples are
provided solely as general guidance. For the purposes of these examples, assume that the
sellers comply with all other relevant federal and state laws and regulations (for example, any
unlicensed person makes only lawful sales to persons who reside in the same state).

Bob inherits a collection of firearms from his grandfather. He would rather have cash
than the firearms, so he posts them all online for sale. He makes no purchases, but
over the course of the next year he sells all of the firearms he inherited in a series of
different transactions. Bob does not need a license because he is liquidating a
personal collection."

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

I hear Eric Holder is available if you want a fast and furious sale.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ninjabread wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:24 pm I hear Eric Holder is available if you want a fast and furious sale.
Holder only transfers guns to criminals. I’m assuming the OP is a law-abiding man. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”