Sniper hits ISIS Commander from 1.5 miles

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Sniper hits ISIS Commander from 1.5 miles

Post by skeathley »

This may not be new, but it just came to me from another source.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -away.html

Terrorist literally blown apart by long distance .50 cal bullet.

:thewave
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

puma guy

Re: Sniper hits ISIS Commander from 1.5 miles

Post by puma guy »

skeathley wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 am This may not be new, but it just came to me from another source.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -away.html

Terrorist literally blown apart by long distance .50 cal bullet.

:thewave
The most amazing part is the shot was made with a Browning .50 Cal machingun with a "special" sight! :cool:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Ma Deuce will get the job done!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

I think the reporter got a lot of facts wrong. Perhaps a .50 cal sniper rifle was used, but not a .50 cal machine gun.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bblhd672 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am I think the reporter got a lot of facts wrong. Perhaps a .50 cal sniper rifle was used, but not a .50 cal machine gun.
Carlos Hethcock sniped a VC commander in Vietnam with an M2 with an optical sight mounted on it. The distance was something like 1700 yards.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

either way 1.5 miles.....Wholly cow batman. that is an incredible shot and lots of just right wind and luck.
but overall its freaking awesome :hurry: :hurry:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I wonder how many of his troops decided, there are easier ways to make a living, after he suddenly exploded in front of them? From that distance you would probably never hear the shot.

:eek6 :leaving
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 am
bblhd672 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am I think the reporter got a lot of facts wrong. Perhaps a .50 cal sniper rifle was used, but not a .50 cal machine gun.
Carlos Hethcock sniped a VC commander in Vietnam with an M2 with an optical sight mounted on it. The distance was something like 1700 yards.
I believe that GSgt. Hathcock held a patent on that scope mount.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jusme wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 am I wonder how many of his troops decided, there are easier ways to make a living, after he suddenly exploded in front of them? From that distance you would probably never hear the shot.

Somewhat like Quannah Parker when Billy Dixon shot Parker's medicine man off of his horse at about a mile away. (BTW, he was using a 50-90 Sharps.)

Chas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:04 pm
Jusme wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 am I wonder how many of his troops decided, there are easier ways to make a living, after he suddenly exploded in front of them? From that distance you would probably never hear the shot.

Somewhat like Quannah Parker when Billy Dixon shot Parker's medicine man off of his horse at about a mile away. (BTW, he was using a 50-90 Sharps.)

Chas.
I just watched “Quigley Down Under” a couple of days ago. I hadn’t seen it in a while. His rifle was a .45-110-450. As the owner of a very recently acquired .45-70 Marlin who has only put 5 rounds downrange so far with it, I absolutely cringe at the thought of firing a .50-90 or a .45-110. The men who shot those kinds of rifles were much better men than I’ll ever be.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning?wprov=sfla1
M2 as a sniper rifle
USMC M2 fitted with a Leupold CQBSS variable power scope.
The M2 machine gun has also been used as a long-range sniper rifle, when equipped with a telescopic sight. Soldiers during the Korean War used scoped M2s in the role of a sniper rifle, but the practice was most notably used by US Marine Corps sniper Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War. Using an Unertl telescopic sight and a mounting bracket of his own design, Hathcock could quickly convert the M2 into a sniper rifle, using the traversing-and-elevating (T&E) mechanism attached to the tripod. When firing semi-automatically, Hathcock hit man-size targets beyond 1,800 metres (2,000 yd)—twice the range of a standard-caliber sniper rifle of the time (a .30-06 Winchester Model 70). Hathcock set the record for the longest confirmed kill at 2,250 metres (2,460 yd), a record which stood until 2002, when it was broken in Afghanistan by Canadian Army sniper Arron Perry.[62][63]
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

jmorris wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:00 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning?wprov=sfla1
M2 as a sniper rifle
USMC M2 fitted with a Leupold CQBSS variable power scope.
The M2 machine gun has also been used as a long-range sniper rifle, when equipped with a telescopic sight. Soldiers during the Korean War used scoped M2s in the role of a sniper rifle, but the practice was most notably used by US Marine Corps sniper Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War. Using an Unertl telescopic sight and a mounting bracket of his own design, Hathcock could quickly convert the M2 into a sniper rifle, using the traversing-and-elevating (T&E) mechanism attached to the tripod. When firing semi-automatically, Hathcock hit man-size targets beyond 1,800 metres (2,000 yd)—twice the range of a standard-caliber sniper rifle of the time (a .30-06 Winchester Model 70). Hathcock set the record for the longest confirmed kill at 2,250 metres (2,460 yd), a record which stood until 2002, when it was broken in Afghanistan by Canadian Army sniper Arron Perry.[62][63]
Obviously I don’t know what I’m talking about! Just seemed odd to me with the wide range of sniper rifles in use that a M2 would be used.
I don’t really care what they use to take down ISIS soldiers just get ‘er done!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Seemed pretty serious it was a machine gun.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Now that is reaching out and touching someone! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”