new rifle selection choices UPDATE

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Sidro
Posts in topic: 1

Re: new rifle selection choices

Post by Sidro »

If a rifle with less recoil is your main objective with good performance @ 100 yds or longer distance the Ruger American has several to fit your wants. 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor and .243 as suggested by AndyC. The first two with heavier loads are big enough for Elk hunting and all three are also available in an AR rifle platform and ammo is fairly easy to find. I have all three in both rifle configurations and you cannot go wrong either way, although the American is the cheapest route and is an extremely accurate rifle in 22 inch bbl.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

glock27 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:00 am I’m up near Frisco. I will admit the 6.5cm has gotten my attention. But I won’t ever be shooting it far enough to matter. I’ve looked into the ar10. The smith and Wesson is at the top of my list cause I own the 556 version. But from what I’ve read they usually only group 2moa. Ideally since my scope is a 20x I’d like to find a 6.5cm with a fat barrel and flat top. But still just researching wverything
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/product ... dmore.html
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: new rifle selection choices UPDATE

Post by Jusme »

Either of those will be good rifles, I would not buy anything from Dick's, but that's just my choice. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

glock27 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:25 pm so i went to handle a few rifles today, I am stuck between the two below both have great reviews

ruger american predator in 6.5CM
https://ruger.com/products/americanRifl ... odels.html

medium barrel,
bedded action
free floated barrel
threaded barrel
lighter in overall weight
$380/ no scope

or the Savage 10SBA in 6.5CM which is a "field and stream exclusive special"
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/sa ... 308wnxxvgu?

heavy longer barrel,
free floated barrel
not sure on action being bedded
threaded barrel
the stock is much more sturdier that the ruger
??im not sure if this rifle is bedded??
heavier in overall weight
floating bolt head and 0 headspacing

$430 with cheap bushnell 3-9x40 after rebate

savage feels better, but im going for accuracy, should i be concerned with quality with it being a f&S exclusive?
how much of a difference does a bedded block make?
I think either one would be a good choice. 6.5CM from what I've read is a great round. My only suggestion would be go to Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop to see if the will match Dic's/Field and Stream's the price. Another alternative is Academy who I know will price match. Dick's which owens F&S is too anti 2nd Amendment. I'd be willing to pay a little more just to boycott Dicks/FS I wouldn't let a low end Bushnell scope influence a choice. BTW What makes the Savage a F&S exlusive?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Lena

Post by Lena »

If I somehow had to start over and hunted as I used to I (myself) would either buy or build, possibly just a barrel swap to a 7-08, 6mm/244, 257 Roberts calibers and not ruling out a 7.62x51 on the high end. If I was to go deer hunting tomorrow my carry rifle would be either my 7-08 or 243 Ackley depending on where I went and the terrain. My views on calibers have changed over the years. 50 yrs ago I would taken my pre 64 M70 300 H&H. I put down over 50 with it. The worst damage I ever did to a deer was with my 220 Swift. The 300 just made a hole and they dropped.
Stay Safe

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Jusme wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:41 pm Either of those will be good rifles, I would not buy anything from Dick's, but that's just my choice. JMHO
:iagree: Giving Dick's/Field & Stream any business hurts the 2nd Amendment. And their policies deny 18-20 year olds their legal right to purchase a rifle.
NOTICE: Under Dick’s Sporting Goods policy, you must be 21 years old to purchase a long gun.
Best advice I got when looking for my first bolt rifle was to ignore the "bundled deals" and find the best rifle at the best price. Only after that find the best scope you can afford.

Savage changed how they number their rifles this year, so the 10SBA may not be a current year model. I'd check GrabAGun's offerings.
https://grabagun.com/firearms/rifles-[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... turer=3738
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”