Mc Brides-Austn

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Mc Brides-Austn

Post by WTR »

Went to Mc Brides gun shop while in Austin. Great selection,a bit proud of the prices I saw and paid but be friendly and knowledgeable staff.

puma guy

Re: Mc Brides-Austn

Post by puma guy »

WTR wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 am Went to Mc Brides gun shop while in Austin. Great selection,a bit proud of the prices I saw and paid but be friendly and knowledgeable staff.
If they are a small independent operation they don't get the deals big box and online sellers get. Most have to depend on service and knowledge to bring in customers who are willing to pay a little more. I have a LGS and he's shown me his wholesale prices, which are often more than some large web sellers are asking for the same firearms. He sometimes get special deals, but for the most part is selling at minimum profit, but still above the web and big box stores. I don't buy many new guns, but the last few I have purchased have been from him because I'm willing to pay a little extra to support the local guy who often helps people with their gun problems free of charge. I watched him help a guy who came in complaining the pump SG he had just purchased from a pawn shop would only hold two shells in the magazine. You all probably know what the problem was, but the guy had no clue. Rob removed the magazine plug free of charge and explained to him why it was there and that he'd have to replace it if he ever hunted migratory birds and then showed him how to put it back. The guy returned with a six pack of cokes a while later. He put one of his own Leupold scopes and mounts on a customers rifle to try when he was running out of elevation with two others he'd tried. That's why we need local independent gun businesses. :thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

WTR wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 am Went to Mc Brides gun shop while in Austin. Great selection,a bit proud of the prices I saw and paid but be friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Yearly they do a TSRA evening. Open late, snacks and deals for TSRA members.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I bought my wife's first pistol at McBride's. They had what I wanted and the price was acceptable. It was my first purchase from an FFL. Went quickly and smoothly.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

There is a big problem for small retailers nowadays. They can't effectively compete on price for reasons stated upthread. They could compete on knowledge of the product, but with the internet it is far too easy for a customer to come in, get the knowledge and then still buy the product cheaper online or from a big box store. Some small retailers can compete on convenience. It's why gas stations manage to sell beer and sodas among other things. But that really doesn't apply for guns. Maybe ammo and cleaning supplies, but its rare that you need a specific gun so badly that you can't wait a few days to get it cheaper somewhere else.

I fear that appealing to the good nature of their customer base will not be enough to keep the small LGS in business. IMHO, the ones that make it will focus more and more on areas where there is no cheaper online competition. That would be things like a range, in person instruction, gunsmithing, and FFL transfers. Maybe buying and selling used guns as well.

berettadave

Post by berettadave »

Joe McBride also is big on supporting Texas Parks and Wildlife. He helped start the Operation Game Thief and supports it to this day. Good guy and supports the local shooting ranges too.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”