Trying to buy a Ruger 10/22 is very trying!

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Trying to buy a Ruger 10/22 is very trying!

Post by puma guy »

LDB415 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:43 pm You just have all the fun Steve.
"rlol" Yeah! They tried making it even more trying after I got home. Someone had opened the scope mount envelope and removed the screws and they were loose in the box. I could only find 3 until I unfolded the ends and it was hidden there on one end. All good! I have to decide whether to put a scope or red dot on it.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

I am glad you finally got through the problems. To give you the good news though, I have never met anyone yet who did not have a lot of fun with their 10/22. They are great rifles for plinking or target shooting. I would imagine they are great for small game (squirrel or rabbit) too.

There are lots of accessories out there for them also. Stock replacements, barrel replacements, etc. The only thing I really strongly suggest is a couple larger magazines and a loader for them. The ten shot mag is kind of small for such a fun gun to shoot.

PS. Having posted that I don't know anyone who did not like their 10/22, I have to warn you that someone is now sure to post about problems with theirs. :lol:
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

srothstein wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:27 pm I am glad you finally got through the problems. To give you the good news though, I have never met anyone yet who did not have a lot of fun with their 10/22. They are great rifles for plinking or target shooting. I would imagine they are great for small game (squirrel or rabbit) too.

There are lots of accessories out there for them also. Stock replacements, barrel replacements, etc. The only thing I really strongly suggest is a couple larger magazines and a loader for them. The ten shot mag is kind of small for such a fun gun to shoot.

PS. Having posted that I don't know anyone who did not like their 10/22, I have to warn you that someone is now sure to post about problems with theirs. :lol:
No doubt. They came out just a year or two before I started selling guns and they were good sellers for us, but not as popular as the Marlin and Glenfield .22 semi-autos. We sold hundreds and hundreds of those. You are correct about accessories for the 10/22. I'm looking at a trigger replacement for it, but that's probably about the extent of changes I'll make, beside topping it with an optic of some sort. I think the only long gun with more optional after market parts then the 10/22 maybe the AR platform.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

puma guy wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:48 pm
srothstein wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:27 pm I am glad you finally got through the problems. To give you the good news though, I have never met anyone yet who did not have a lot of fun with their 10/22. They are great rifles for plinking or target shooting. I would imagine they are great for small game (squirrel or rabbit) too.

No doubt. They came out just a year or two before I started selling guns and they were good sellers for us, but not as popular as the Marlin and Glenfield .22 semi-autos. We sold hundreds and hundreds of those. You are correct about accessories for the 10/22. I'm looking at a trigger replacement for it, but that's probably about the extent of changes I'll make, beside topping it with an optic of some sort. I think the only long gun with more optional after market parts then the 10/22 maybe the AR platform.
I really like my 10/22 Takedown. Received a few upgrade parts for Christmas last year- was fun disassembling it and installing the new parts. The BX trigger drop in was really simple. The best part was going to the range with it afterwards and everything worked!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

bblhd672 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:22 pm
puma guy wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:48 pm

I really like my 10/22 Takedown. Received a few upgrade parts for Christmas last year- was fun disassembling it and installing the new parts. The BX trigger drop in was really simple. The best part was going to the range with it afterwards and everything worked!
:thumbs2: I have a BX trigger on the way. Grabagun had them for $49. I meant to order some 25 round nags, but forgot. I don't really have a use for the takedown, but Ruger did a good job. I have a Charter Arms AR-7 and I just thought about the fact I have two Winchester Model 62 Pumps. One of the original take down .22's :lol:

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Waiting for the trigger to arrive, but I decided to install a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot on the Ruger. Got my gunsmith screwdrivers out to prevent marring the receiver or screws. When I broke the first screw loose the cheesy painted finish flaked off all around the screw hole, same for all the other screws. I'm fairly certain the receivers were anodized back when I was selling those guns, but that was a long time ago. One of the screws driven below the top of the receiver as well. I located a smaller screw driver that would fit the tapped hole so I wouldn't damage the hole. That was the first hole I placed a screw in to mount the base and it was difficult to get started; the rest were fine. I'll see how the red dot it works out when I get to the range, but I want to put the BX trigger in before I shoot it.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If you're undecided or have a difficult time finding, buying a 10/22 consider a S&W 15-22.

I have one and love it!

Over 500 + rounds later, have never experienced a single malfunction.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Abraham wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:45 pm If you're undecided or have a difficult time finding, buying a 10/22 consider a S&W 15-22.

I have one and love it!

Over 500 + rounds later, have never experienced a single malfunction.
Thanks, Abraham I already have the 10/22 rifle and am waiting for an upgraded trigger to arrive. I just put a TRS-25 Bushnell Red Dot on it. I have a couple of 15-22's and they are a blast. Actually I gave one of the 15-22's to my wife who fell in love with it. I could barely get my daughter to give mine back to me when I let her shoot it.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You're making a big mistake. The 10/22 will suck you down an accessory rat hole, and suck money out of your wallet. Trust me :lol:
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

oohrah wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:24 pm You're making a big mistake. The 10/22 will suck you down an accessory rat hole, and suck money out of your wallet. Trust me :lol:
:lol: Not sure how far down that I hole I'll go, but I did order a BX Trigger!

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

puma guy wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:12 pm
oohrah wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:24 pm You're making a big mistake. The 10/22 will suck you down an accessory rat hole, and suck money out of your wallet. Trust me :lol:
Volquartsen 10/22 Parts
https://volquartsen.com/departments/1022_parts
I put the bolt release, bolt tune up kit and recoil buffer on mine. Approx $65 worth of upgrades. The bolt release, IMHO, is the "required" upgrade as it enables you to release the bolt by pulling back on the charging handle and releasing.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:14 pm
puma guy wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:12 pm
Volquartsen 10/22 Parts
https://volquartsen.com/departments/1022_parts
I put the bolt release, bolt tune up kit and recoil buffer on mine. Approx $65 worth of upgrades. The bolt release, IMHO, is the "required" upgrade as it enables you to release the bolt by pulling back on the charging handle and releasing.
:lol: I'm learning you can build a 10/22 without actually ever buying any thing Ruger! :shock:

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

My BX Trigger arrived today. I had trouble figuring out what size allen screw held the barrel band (9/64 BTW) but after I got it off and the action removed it was easy peasy. I wanted to check before and after trigger pull but I couldn't find my scale. It is discernibly lighter. Waiting for the rain to end so I can get to PSC to try it out.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:31 pm My BX Trigger arrived today. I had trouble figuring out what size allen screw held the barrel band (9/64 BTW) but after I got it off and the action removed it was easy peasy. I wanted to check before and after trigger pull but I couldn't find my scale. It is discernibly lighter. Waiting for the rain to end so I can get to PSC to try it out.
You are a man on a mission. It looks like mission accomplished! :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:59 pm
puma guy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:31 pm My BX Trigger arrived today. I had trouble figuring out what size allen screw held the barrel band (9/64 BTW) but after I got it off and the action removed it was easy peasy. I wanted to check before and after trigger pull but I couldn't find my scale. It is discernibly lighter. Waiting for the rain to end so I can get to PSC to try it out.
You are a man on a mission. It looks like mission accomplished! :tiphat:
Just don't tell my wife! :cool: Now if it will just dry out so I can get to PSC.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”