Scored a hunting trip. What rifle

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

omegaman
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Scored a hunting trip. What rifle

Post by omegaman »

I would take a .375 H&H and 300-grain premium ammunition. Why mess around. I would also use a rifle with a synthetic stock (but not injection molded) in lieu of wood, due to weather conditions in our 49th state. I prefer walnut furniture, but rain/snow/ice could ruin the finish.

cyphur
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cyphur »

300WM pushing 200gr Precision Hunter and you're done. Put a silencer on it or a good brake and it's no problem to shoot all day.

You won't encounter anything in North America that will stand up to that if shot placement is solid.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

With a .338 WM may friend has taken white tail, mulies, caribo, moose, elk, grizzly and his grand slam of sheep. My Uncle has killed over 100 elk, black bear, mulies and white tail with his .300 WMs.....he has gone three of them.

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPBrown »

I decided on a Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag. Also picked up a Leupold 4.5-14 x 50 scope for it. Will be out sighting it in hopefully this weekend.
Already had a Henry 45-70 that is going with me as well as my S & W 500 (may even put magnum shells in it)
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

omegaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by omegaman »

Weatherby is a great choice. Which Vanguard model did you get?

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

My Uncle was not a “shooter”, he was an avid “hunter”. He always used loads off the shelf with nothing consistent in mind. He had great success with any hunting bullet of any brand in 180, 200 and 220 grain bullets .

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

omegaman wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:50 am Weatherby is a great choice. Which Vanguard model did you get?
The Back Country Tactical with 26" barrel.
Picked it up last night, mounted the scope and bore sighted it in. Going to the range tomorrow to actually sight it in.
TSRA-Life member

Rifleman55
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rifleman55 »

What ever you get, make sure that you can shoot it without flinching, the old 06 will do the job, I used to work for a man that used a Savage 99 in .300 Savage to kill Moose in Canada, and he killed some big ones. As for bear, use a good bullet and put it where it counts.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Rifleman55 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:32 pm What ever you get, make sure that you can shoot it without flinching, the old 06 will do the job, I used to work for a man that used a Savage 99 in .300 Savage to kill Moose in Canada, and he killed some big ones. As for bear, use a good bullet and put it where it counts.

If you flinch with a .300WM you are going to flinch with a 30-06.

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Went out to the family farm this past weekend to sight in my new toy. I had already bore sighted before I went out. I was pleasantly surprised that my bore sight was only about an inch off at 100 yards. The first 3 shots were 2" left and about 1" high with a grouping of 1.5". I kept the 1" high (looking to shoot out to 200 yards) and brought my windage in. I reconfigured my sandbag rest and shot 5 more rounds and had a grouping just about 1". This was shooting Winchester 150 grain ammo. I moved to the 180 grain and my grouping was back to 1.5". The wind had picked up some but I was happy with what I had. I will continue to play with it if nothing else, just to get comfortable with it over the next year.
TSRA-Life member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Have a great hunt.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”