Scored a hunting trip. What rifle

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 5

Scored a hunting trip. What rifle

Post by RPBrown »

I scored a hunting trip to Alaska for next year. Primarily for moose but possibly bear too.
I need to pick up a new rifle but what caliber. I was thinking 30.06 or 308.
My buddy that hunts there every year shoots 30.06 and he said don’t spend my money on one of the large magnum guns because irregardless, shot placement is key.
Thoughts?
Last edited by RPBrown on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Scored a hunting trip. What rifle

Post by WTR »

Of the two I’d take a 30.06. I have two friends who are serious North American big game hunters. One swears by the.300WM , the other the .338 WM. I’m talking $60,000 for a Big Horn sheep and up to $10.000 for an Elk.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Whatever you buy, do the work ahead of time and be proficient to ranges beyond what you expect to shoot at live game. Nothing worse than seeing your trophy at say 400yds, across the canyon and you've never shot beyond the local range's 100yd or 200yd targets...

Keep us posted, I'll be living vicariously through your hunt!! :tiphat:

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MaduroBU »

If I were going to shell out enough for a bear hunt, I'd buy an M70 stainless classic in .30-06 and rebarrel to .375 Hawk-Svoville.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Do you already have a rifle in either of those calibers?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPBrown »

C-dub wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:11 pm Do you already have a rifle in either of those calibers?
No. I hunt with a .270.
Want to get something soon to start getting used to all of the little nuances it may have.
My dad had a 340 weatherby mag that I was to inherit but my little brother sold it for his own gain before dad passed. Grrr.
This will probably be a one time only hunt strictly due to cost, so I want to get something that I can use locally for whitetail dear as well
Last edited by RPBrown on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

I would not buy any type of wildcat or specialty caliber. You want a caliber which has ammo readily available if something should happen to yours.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Since you have a .270 and it's based on a 30.06 case, I would personally go 300 Win Mag. If you choose 30.06, might as well take the .270. With the right bullet, it would work. With a 06, you gain the ability to use heavier bullets over a .270 but the .270 is a very capable round. I would take the 300 because you can run a heavy bullet faster than a 30.06. But I know me and a hunt like that, I would second guess myself on bringing enough gun. I agree with staying away from wildcats unless it is something you really have been wanting. Getting a wildcat for one hunt doesn't seem practical.

Edit to add:

Wait, I confused. You said .273... do you mean .243 or .270? I would still do 300 Win Mag but if you have a .243, then the 06 will be a big step up. You would give up too much velocity with a .308.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have a 270 and I agree it is almost the same as the 30.06. I would also go with the 300 WM.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/grizzly_cartridges.htm

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Of the two calibers, for an Alaskan hunt, I’d take the .30-06. But I’d probably also look real hard at a .300 WM. That said, unless long range shooting is what you think you might run into, I take note that a lot of Alaska State Troopers carry a .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun in their cruisers for encounters with bear or moose. So as long as you’re not shooting beyond about 150 yards, the .45-70 would be plenty of caliber for that kind of game....although it might not be the best all around choice. I would think that all four of those calibers, .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Winchester Magnum, and .45-70 would be easy to find almost anywhere you went, including anywhere in Alaska.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Having though about this overnight, for a 1 time hunt- I would buy a nice, but used 300win mag or 338.... that leaves no question you will have enough gun and one that is capable of shooting the distances you'll need with no trouble (as long as you do the homework) If you learn that you only need a 100-150 yd gun, I like Tam's suggestion of the 45-70, especially if you will be close to brown bears. (I'd still try to get a nice, used one)

And either of those will easily re-sell afterwards if you don't have a need for them. and you won't lose much of anything if you buy it used first. Then either pocket the cash or buy the other rifle you expressed interest in for hunting here at home.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I would go with the venerable 30.06. Been around since i can remember for good reason. You will also need a decent quality scope on it. They have a 150 grain and a 180 grain depending on what you want to hunt. I have a Remington 700ADL in 30.06 thats been flawless for over 30 years. What ever you decide...happy hunting to you.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Whatever you choose, I wish you a wonderful, great hunt.

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

If I were you and was purchasing a new rifle to take on this trip, my first choice would be a .338 Win Mag, especially for Brown Bear.

If I were going I would take my 8mm Remington Magnum and my 45-70 Bolt Gun.

The ought six will get the job done, no question, however the 338 seems to be very popular in Alaska, and a .375 Mag would not be far behind among the Alaskans I meet.

I would really like to take a Brown or Kodiak someday.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Another vote for the .338 Winchester Magnum, mine would be loaded with 250 Grain Nosler Partitions.

Enjoy your hunt.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”