SCAR 17S or SCAR 20S

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

SCAR 17S or SCAR 20S?

17S
56%
20S
44%

Total votes: 9

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

SCAR 17S or SCAR 20S

Post by C-dub »

Have ya'll heard about the new 20S?

I think the prices are a little under $3k for the 17S and about $4,500 for the 20S. Does anyone have a 20S yet? Anyone thinking about getting one. I was thinking about going after a 17S and still am since for the price of just the 20S I can also put a decent optic (leaning towards another ACOG) on the 17S.

It might still be some time before I could do that or it might never happen, but still fun to think about.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SCAR 17S or SCAR 20S

Post by The Marshal »

You are welcome to shoot mine again when we go to the Range, C-Dub.

Personally, I prefer the SCAR over the AR platform, and the 17S will be the last gun in the Safe if it came to that.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Marshal wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:18 pm You are welcome to shoot mine again when we go to the Range, C-Dub.

Personally, I prefer the SCAR over the AR platform, and the 17S will be the last gun in the Safe if it came to that.
Hey there Bud.

I’m pretty sure I have shot yours before. Have read about the 20S?

BTW, my daughter and I are planning to head out to the club on Thanksgiving day. If you’re interested I’ll let you know for sure in s few days.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The Marshal wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:18 pm You are welcome to shoot mine again when we go to the Range, C-Dub.

C-dub wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 pm [quote="The Marshal" post_id=<a href="tel:1229926">1229926</a> time=<a href="tel:1542309483">1542309483</a> user_id=736]
You are welcome to shoot mine again when we go to the Range, C-Dub.

Hey there Bud.

I’m pretty sure I have shot yours before. Have read about the 20S?

BTW, my daughter and I are planning to head out to the club on Thanksgiving day. If you’re interested I’ll let you know for sure in s few days.
If I didn’t already own a 17S, I would wonder about the 20S, but I’m not sure if it is worth the extra $1500 or so it would cost above the price of the 17S. Each has its advantages, and here is a rough comparison.

Accuracy: I’m sure the 20S is probably more accurate, and with its longer barrel can probably develop a little more velocity/range. Balanced against that, the 17S is crazy accurate for a battle rifle. The very first time I took mine to a range, after zeroing, it put a string of 10 rounds into 3/4” at 100 yards, with commercially remanufactured 168 grain match. I have a bolt action in the same caliber that won’t do that. A friend of mine (ex MARSOC sniper) was shooting 1 MOA with his 17S at 800 yards at ETTS range, using bulk 150 grain FMJ. If you were trying to get out to 1000 yards, the 20S would probably be the better rifle, but for anything out to 800 yards (which is a LONG dang distance if you’ve never done it before), the 17S is up to the tax.

Trigger: I don’t know if the 20S comes with the same trigger as the 17S, but the OEM 17S trigger was a horrible and gritty 8 lb. I replaced mine with a drop in 3.5 lb Timney, at a cost of about $340. If you’re considering the 20S, I would verify the trigger pull before spending the money, if you’re going to have to drop another $340 to make the rifle shootable at distance, as that might help you to choose between the two rifles. The Timney is crisp and light with a short reset, and the cost is well worth the improvement. Alternatively, Geissele also makes a trigger for the SCAR with is a vast improvement.

Weight: The extra 4” of barrel and that chassis on the 20S comes with a weight penalty. The 17S is an honest 8 lb gun sans optic or loaded magazine. FN claims the 20S weighs 11.2 lbs with no optics and an empty magazine. Since they claim 8 lbs for the 17S and that’s what it actually weighs, the 11.2 lbs is probably accurate. If you’re planning on toting the gun around, that matters.

Sights/Optics: I don’t know what iron sights come on the 20S, if any, but the OEM iron sights on the 17S are pretty decent. You’ll probably want to scope either rifle. Right now, I have a 4-14x50mm Viper PST FFP on my 17S, and I can tell you that is too much scope for the rifle. Knowing what I know now, I would replace that with a 2-10x34mm Viper PST FFP if I hadn’t already spent the money. Alternatively, it lends itself well to a fixed power ACOG type of optic. Whatever you pick for an optic, regardless of which rifle you get, buy a scope that is sturdy and can take a beating. While the 5.56mm 16S is a pussycat, the 17S is known to beat scopes to death. I have not noticed anything bad happening to my Viper PST, but scope issues are a problem that gets talked about on the Interwebs .... so it must be true, right? But my main reason for regretting the scope I put on my SCAR is its size, which is what I meant by “too much” scope. A relatively light carbine length weapon needs a light scope.

So, as with all rifles, whether you buy the 17s or the 20s should depend on how you think you’ll use it. If you’re happy with an 800 yard rifle, the 17S will make you happy. If you need more range than that, the 20S is the one for you. Walking around, pick the 17. Benchresting, pick the 20. Personally, I am not convinced that the 20S is worth the extra money.....but that’s just ME.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The 20S comes with a super SCAR Gieselle 3.5-4.5 2-stage trigger.

The Annoyed Man

C-dub wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:03 pm The 20S comes with a super SCAR Gieselle 3.5-4.5 2-stage trigger.
Well there’s $325 of your price increase right there. Good.

I will say this, whichever one you pick, you’re going to flat love the barrel. FN makes really good barrels.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

John Galt
Posts in topic: 4

Post by John Galt »

I recently purchased a 17s and am elated with it. The 17s has a surprisingly light recoil, but I would imagine that the 20s is the same.

The Annoyed Man

John Galt wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:05 am I recently purchased a 17s and am elated with it. The 17s has a surprisingly light recoil, but I would imagine that the 20s is the same.
Wait until you suppress it. It gets even softer shooting, and a LOT quieter. Here’s mine with a Form 1 can on it. Notice that neither I nor my son needed earpro....

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Well, a year later and I was only halfway to the 17s and decided to go for another 1911 recently. The 17s might still be in my future and with a can, who knows. Thanks TAM for keeping me intrigued.

Life seems to be shifting a bit and priorities change. We'll see how things go next year.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I'm going to add the Geissele Super Scar trigger to my 17s. I thought the stock one was good, but the Geissele takes it to another level.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

I feel after reading this thread, I am 14 again reading about the new Shelby Mustang and is it better than last years.

I’ll continue to dream about owning one of these.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

philip964 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:19 pm I feel after reading this thread, I am 14 again reading about the new Shelby Mustang and is it better than last years.

I mulled over the price and purchase for about four years. When you can swing it, it will be a great purchase.

The Annoyed Man

John Galt wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:53 pm
philip964 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:19 pm I feel after reading this thread, I am 14 again reading about the new Shelby Mustang and is it better than last years.

I mulled over the price and purchase for about four years. When you can swing it, it will be a great purchase.
I took mine in barter for building a website for an FFL. Otherwise, I’d likely still not have one yet.... not because I wouldn’t lust after one, but because $3000+ is still $3000+.

#TINVOWOOT

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Then addition to the rifle, one needs a sturdy optic and mount, which aren't cheap.

The Annoyed Man

John Galt wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:36 pm Then addition to the rifle, one needs a sturdy optic and mount, which aren't cheap.
Exactly. Mine has a nice Vortex Viper PST II on it, on a BOBRO mount. And then there's the cost of a suppressor. And new magazines for the OEM lower receiver run about $40/ea. And then there’s the whole new lower receiver you have to buy if you want to use SR25 or PMAG magazines. Those have come down in price to only $235. They used to be over $400. Do you want a longer rail system? That’ll run you another couple of hundred $$. And then there's the ACR stock conversion kits, and on and on....
:lol:

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”