Oops! At the range.

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Oops! At the range.

Post by puma guy »

I took my son-in-law to the range to shoot a Rem 742 .308 I gave him to hunt with this year. (his first deer hunt) I had already checked it, but wanted to be sure it would "shoot" the same for him. With him not being an experienced high power rifle shooter I was satisfied with his "minute of deer" shots. I also took my old 1964 .243 Model 70 to check it as I'd not shot it in several years. I had let another son-on-law use it and got it back 2-3 years ago. I tool several shots and made some scope adjustments and got it acceptable. We'd set up a large a large 25"X25" deer photo target with an X-ray image of vitals for our final shots. I took my shot at it first then my son-in-law put the 742 .308 on the rest. His shot was off just a little and he thought he'd pulled it so he decided to take another shot. I was watching the target through my spotting scope when he fired, but saw no hit on the entire target. As we tried to figure out what happened he grabbed another round off the bench and was about to load it when he said "hey, I know what happened". My .243 ammo was still on the bench and the wayward shot was a .243 shell in the .308. He looked around and found the empty case. Sure enough! Fire formed a .308 from a .243!. I didn't measure the mouth of the .243, but it was close to the .308 cases. I'm surprised there wasn't noticeable gas leakage when he fired.
243 308 (2).jpg
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

narcissist
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Oops! At the range.

Post by narcissist »

Glad nothing bad happened, wish you both the best of luck during hunting season.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

A few years back I made a similar mistake. I was test firing a new .380. Then I fired my Glock 9mm. By mistake, I reloaded the magazine on the Glock with some .380 rounds left on the bench. They fired fine but would not cycle the slide. It took me a dozen or so rounds before I stopped blaming the gun and realized I was firing .380 in my 9 mm. :oops:

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am A few years back I made a similar mistake. I was test firing a new .380. Then I fired my Glock 9mm. By mistake, I reloaded the magazine on the Glock with some .380 rounds left on the bench. They fired fine but would not cycle the slide. It took me a dozen or so rounds before I stopped blaming the gun and realized I was firing .380 in my 9 mm. :oops:
Whew. I’m not the only one who’s done that.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:00 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am A few years back I made a similar mistake. I was test firing a new .380. Then I fired my Glock 9mm. By mistake, I reloaded the magazine on the Glock with some .380 rounds left on the bench. They fired fine but would not cycle the slide. It took me a dozen or so rounds before I stopped blaming the gun and realized I was firing .380 in my 9 mm. :oops:
I suspect a lot of us have. :oops:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Excaliber wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 am
:iagree: :oops:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

puma guy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:09 pm I took my son-in-law to the range to shoot a Rem 742 .308 I gave him to hunt with this year. (his first deer hunt) I had already checked it, but wanted to be sure it would "shoot" the same for him. With him not being an experienced high power rifle shooter I was satisfied with his "minute of deer" shots. I also took my old 1964 .243 Model 70 to check it as I'd not shot it in several years. I had let another son-on-law use it and got it back 2-3 years ago. I tool several shots and made some scope adjustments and got it acceptable. We'd set up a large a large 25"X25" deer photo target with an X-ray image of vitals for our final shots. I took my shot at it first then my son-in-law put the 742 .308 on the rest. His shot was off just a little and he thought he'd pulled it so he decided to take another shot. I was watching the target through my spotting scope when he fired, but saw no hit on the entire target. As we tried to figure out what happened he grabbed another round off the bench and was about to load it when he said "hey, I know what happened". My .243 ammo was still on the bench and the wayward shot was a .243 shell in the .308. He looked around and found the empty case. Sure enough! Fire formed a .308 from a .243!. I didn't measure the mouth of the .243, but it was close to the .308 cases. I'm surprised there wasn't noticeable gas leakage when he fired.

243 308 (2).jpg
Amazing! I never thought about those two rounds having almost the same case. I'm glad nothing bad happened. :tiphat:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I thought the .308 was the parent case for the .243. So no surprise that it fired and fire formed.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Excaliber wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 am
Not me, but I’ve been fog-bound in other ways before. :mrgreen:

AKSHUALLY... I did once load a couple of rounds of some .40 S&W into a .45 ACP magazine, but discovered the error before loading it into the gun and firing it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jason812

Post by jason812 »

In high school my buddies grandpa gave him a .270. We went to sight it in and after the third or so round hit the target keyholed, we realized his grandpa forgot what caliber the rifle was. It was .30-06.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I was just out on an MLD hunt and they have you sight in before the hunt. My buddy and I both took two rifles with us in case we had problems with one. He tried sighting in his .270 but it was not grouping so he brought out the 7mm magnum. It sighted in well so he used that to hunt.

The next day at the blind he grabbed ammo from his pocket and loaded up. He fired at a white tail and he felt something on his face and knew something was odd. He had fired a .270 in the 7 mag. The case ruptured but the rifle looked fine. Somehow he managed to hit the deer and killed it with a .270 fired out of a 7 mag rifle.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

At least I can tell him he's in good company! :lol: To Lynyrd and WTR; yes, the .243 Winchester's parent case is indeed the .308.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Anybody tried to shove a Beretta 9mm mag in a Sig P226? They seem to fit, but don’t feed too well... :oops:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm Anybody tried to shove a Beretta 9mm mag in a Sig P226? They seem to fit, but don’t feed too well... :oops:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I can attest to the ammo mix-ups. I've loaded and fired .380's through a 9mm once. This is the reason why I try to never bring a .380 or a .40 on a range trip where I am also shooting a 9mm gun.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”