308 Semi Auto FAL Vs. AR

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TexasVet
Posts in topic: 1

308 Semi Auto FAL Vs. AR

Post by TexasVet »

Hi all,

I am looking to get some input as far as benefits of each platform, FAL vs. AR in 308, with respect to price. I have an FAL now (NOT DSA, CAI import I think) with quite a few magazines. I have not had a chance to shoot it much at all and am considering selling it to buy a Springfield Saint in 308. ANy input? Is either one more accurate? Runs better?

The Annoyed Man

Re: 308 Semi Auto FAL Vs. AR

Post by The Annoyed Man »

FWIW, AndyC had a FAL for sale not too long ago. Might be worth searching to see if it’s still available. Now, between the two, I’d probably pick the FAL over the AR10, but I am influenced by other things than whether one is superior to the other. I’ve owned an AR10 before, and it was a very nice example of the genre with a lot of extra features, but it just didn’t float my boat that much. I sold that rifle to another forum member after I acquired a SCAR 17S. If I had the money, I’d buy .Andy's FAL because I’ve always wanted one. Sigh.... some day....

A new FAL will likely cost you more than a new base-model AR10. The AR will probably be slightly more accurate, and it will more easily accommodate magnified optics. OTH, the FAL has an easily field-adjustable gas system, which helps keep it running when it’s dirty, and which also allows you to optimize it for running a suppressor. Both are good, rugged rifles.

Be advised that both platforms come with some peculiarities. FAL rifles come in metric and inch patterns, and the magazines are not interchangeable. Metric rifles require metric magazines, and inch rifles require inch magazines. I forget which pattern is more common (and therefore has cheaper magazines), but Andy can tell you. AR10s are sort of the same way, and weren’t really standardized the way AR15s are. For instance, I believe that some of the AR10s made by Rock River Arms used FAL magazines. But most models sold by most manufacturers will accept SR25 or PMAG magazines. So must do your research before you buy.

FYI, if you can afford one (they are very pricey), a SCAR 17 will give you the best of both worlds.... AR ergonomics with some furniture adjustability neither of the other rifles has (at least as standard equipment), what I view as superior iron sights to the FAL's, a folding buttstock, an operating system similar to the FAL's with a short stroke adjustable gas piston, and a cold hammer forged barrel of stunning accuracy for a semiautomatic rifle. The first time I shot mine, after a few rounds to zero the scope, I put 10 rounds into 3/4" at 100 yards, shooting Freedom Munitions remanufactured 168 grain match. It’s a fairly soft shooting rifle for a .308, and it only weighs 8 lbs unloaded. That’s significantly lighter than either my old M1A, or my old AR10. Just a thought....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

There is a super sexy metric FAL for sale in ads section....just putting that out there. ;)
Cheers!

Mark

jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jb2012 »

If the choice is springfield saint or FAL, FAL every time. I would take literally any .308 AR over the springfield. Even a palmetto would be better than a springfield.

papabear

Post by papabear »

jb2012 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:42 am If the choice is springfield saint or FAL, FAL every time. I would take literally any .308 AR over the springfield. Even a palmetto would be better than a springfield.
I know I am old and only have one AR. Most anybody here knows more than I do.
Mine is a Saint in 556. I thought pretty good defense weapon. Please tell me why it is a bad choice. I need to know if it is not good. Thank you.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

papabear wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:50 am
jb2012 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:42 am If the choice is springfield saint or FAL, FAL every time. I would take literally any .308 AR over the springfield. Even a palmetto would be better than a springfield.
Mine is a Saint in 556. I thought pretty good defense weapon. Please tell me why it is a bad choice. I need to know if it is not good. Thank you.
To start off they have a reputation of being wildly unreliable. Just google “springfield saint problems” and there is case after case of people with problematic rifles. I will be the first to admit though that typically there is a negative bias towards reviews online, but something about the complaints from the saint drive me away. The second thing is the loose fitment. Several came through the range I worked at and had a very sloppy feel, does this have an affect on reliability? Eh hard to say. Accuracy? Absolutely. Third, they are wildly overpriced. For the price of $900 for the model with a free float barrel you could buy an Aero and be much better off, or save another $300 and buy a BCM and have a bomb proof rifle that will last a lifetime. Lastly, and I’ve gone in circles with folks on this forum about this, but I will never forgive Springfield or Rock River for selling out the second amendment in Illinois. Yes, I know they made an apology and claim to have no idea what was in the bill, but I call bull bologna. The only thing I would consider from springfield is a 1911 and I wouldn’t buy it new, just because I refuse to give money directly to that company.

Eta: To be fair I don’t have direct experience with the AR10 patterned saint, but if it’s similar to the AR15 pattern I would steer you a different direction. But if it works for you it works for you. :txflag:

papabear

Post by papabear »

jb2012 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:48 pm
To start off they have a reputation of being wildly unreliable. Just google “springfield saint problems” and there is case after case of people with problematic rifles. I will be the first to admit though that typically there is a negative bias towards reviews online, but something about the complaints from the saint drive me away. The second thing is the loose fitment. Several came through the range I worked at and had a very sloppy feel, does this have an affect on reliability? Eh hard to say. Accuracy? Absolutely. Third, they are wildly overpriced. For the price of $900 for the model with a free float barrel you could buy an Aero and be much better off, or save another $300 and buy a BCM and have a bomb proof rifle that will last a lifetime. Lastly, and I’ve gone in circles with folks on this forum about this, but I will never forgive Springfield or Rock River for selling out the second amendment in Illinois. Yes, I know they made an apology and claim to have no idea what was in the bill, but I call bull bologna. The only thing I would consider from springfield is a 1911 and I wouldn’t buy it new, just because I refuse to give money directly to that company.

Eta: To be fair I don’t have direct experience with the AR10 patterned saint, but if it’s similar to the AR15 pattern I would steer you a different direction. But if it works for you it works for you. :txflag:
Thank you. It is what I have. It has not jammed or misfired yet.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Papabear I have a Saint too in 556/223. Not a dribble of trouble out of mine either. I think it a good choice for PD. I have no desire to make it a 300 yard tack driver. Rapid fire defense inside 50 yards, In house, outside, church defense,...it has worked well for me. Hope yours has and does too. Thank you for being one of my students. Have a great day.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”