New Saint Edge. Need help with accessories!

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
68Charger
Posts in topic: 2

New Saint Edge. Need help with accessories!

Post by 68Charger »

Just acquired a new Saint Edge AR Pistol. It's bare. I'm extremely happy I started making payments on it since early January. Already purchased enough ammo back then to sight it in. Mainly using this rifle for Home defense pistol and shoot no more than 100 yards. So.. few questions.

Looking to get a Red Dot sight on it. Willing to spend about less than $150 on it INCLUDING tax. Was looking at a Sig Romeo 5 and saw that these guys are virtually indestructible and can stand anything you throw at it. Any other suggestions?

Along with the RDS, I'm looking for flip up sights. I'm not sure about the sights needing to be elevated due to it being a pistol or what the deal is with that. Willing to spend 'around' $80 or so on this option.

I am needing a light on this guy. Since it is fairly compact, i feel like there's no space for a light. My hand wraps around the top of the pistol for grip and I feel like the light might get in the way with handling the pistol. What light options are available if you had an AR pistol? Willing to spend less than $80.

Lastly, are there any other options I am forgetting? If so, please lemme know! Since we're all quarentined here I feel like as if I have a lot of help on my hands! Cheers, fellas and thank you in advance for all replies.

Stay safe. Wash your hands! :tiphat: :txflag: :fire

-Robert
We don't need no stinking badges!

Iunnrais
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Saint Edge. Need help with accessories!

Post by Iunnrais »

I just finished putting together a new upper and was thinking that one of those Sig/holosun/primary arms red dots would be just the ticket for it. I have a cheap one on my 9mm ar pistol and it’s been great as a range gun. I’d originally shied away from a red dot since I see a splat (bit of astigmatism even with my glasses) and not a dot. Turns out not to matter.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

68Charger wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:26 pm
Looking to get a Red Dot sight on it. Willing to spend about less than $150 on it INCLUDING tax. Was looking at a Sig Romeo 5 and saw that these guys are virtually indestructible and can stand anything you throw at it. Any other suggestions?
The red dot you listed isn’t indestructible, no sight is (I get that it just a figure of speech, but just clarifying as some are more robust than others), but the Sig is a good budget option. It’s probably in the second tier of red dots out there (first tier being Aimpoints, Trijicons, etc.) and would serve you well for your purposes.
Along with the RDS, I'm looking for flip up sights. I'm not sure about the sights needing to be elevated due to it being a pistol or what the deal is with that. Willing to spend 'around' $80 or so on this option.
Regular AR sights regardless if it’s a pistol or a rifle. Again I’d look to a good set without breaking the bank; Magpul MBUS sights are probably the gold standard of quality and affordability here.
I am needing a light on this guy. Since it is fairly compact, i feel like there's no space for a light. My hand wraps around the top of the pistol for grip and I feel like the light might get in the way with handling the pistol. What light options are available if you had an AR pistol? Willing to spend less than $80.
It’s slightly above your budget, but the Streamlight ProTac rail is a good light (again without breaking the bank). It’s an older light, as they have newer lights with more output; which means you could likely find these on clearance somewhere. Do yourself a favor and don’t cheap out on the light, you really get what you pay for here. Additionally with the mount they use you can position the light where it’s out of your way and run the activation switch somewhere convenient.

Hope this gives you some options.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

You'll spend about $50 more than your budget, but check out Vortex red dots. They are very durable and have an excellent warranty, basically unlimited lifetime. I work in a shop that sells Vortex and we have sent 3 scopes back to them no questions asked. They have always told us to give the customer one from stock and they will back fill our stock. The only red dot we've returned was because the customer hit it with a hammer on purpose. Again, no questions or issues returning it.

UTG flip up sights are a great option. Similar to the Magpul MBUS. Made from aluminum vs plastic for MBUS and usually under $60 for the pair.

Good luck!

Topic author
68Charger
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 68Charger »

Thank you ALL for the suggestions, guys! Seriously. :cheers2: :cheers2:
We don't need no stinking badges!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I can testify favorably to the quality of the Primary Arms SLx Advanced Push Button Microdot Red Dot Sight. I have one on my Ruger PC9 carbine, and it compares favorably to the Aimpoint T2 Micro that’s one my 11.5” SBR AR. The PA currently sells for $149.95*.... which is $20 more than when I bought mine. (MSRP is $169.95). I paid $750 for my Aimpoint, not counting the Bobro QD mount. Today, they run around $800.

The Aimpoint T2 Micro is a very good RDS, but it’s not FIVE+ TIMES as good as the Primary Arms RDS, and the Primary Arms unit falls within your price point. If I were going to actual war, as part of an actual military unit, I’d probably pick the Aimpoint on the odd chance that the extra $650 covers some unforeseen detail that might contribute to keeping me alive on an actual battlefield. But if self/home defense is the goal, and you’re not going to be getting tossed around by IEDs or incoming mortar fire, the Primary Arms RDS is more than up to the task, and they have a lifetime warranty on their optics.

I have no regrets about buying the Aimpoint, but if I decide to pick up a third RDS, I will be looking at less expensive options. It used to be that the cheaper optics were kind of junk, and the better quality optic companies could charge whatever they wanted because they had no competition. New competing companies that had their optics built in Japan or China (sometimes in the same factories used by the expensive companies) became able to offer pretty good quality products at very reduced prices. SWFA was an early trendsetter in that market, offering both average quality AND high quality scopes, all built in Japan, using the same factory, and in some cases the assembly lines, as other major players like Nikon and Burris. And now there are other players in addition to SWFA and Primary Arms....Ahtlon, for instance.

* As with a few other "discount" optics brands, I believe that PA's optics are made in China; and with nothing more coming in from China for a while, and new inventory already arrived but as yet unpacked while in quarantine, I suspect that these companies will increase their prices as supplies go down, until they can get manufacturing transferred to Japan.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”