Pasture Gun?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Pasture Gun?

Post by G.A. Heath »

jb2012 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:35 pm lol you don’t need “defense” from hogs. Your sidearm is just as good for 4 legged threats as the 2 legged.
Nor sure where you get that from, feral hogs tend to hard to kill and equiped with tools to make you bleed out. Add on to that the idea that a handgun is not the ideal weapon when dealing with the 2 legged threats and a long gun is strongly advised to anyone who feels that they are likely to encounter a feral hog.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dlh »

jb2012 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:35 pm lol you don’t need “defense” from hogs. Your sidearm is just as good for 4 legged threats as the 2 legged.
Although it is rare--attacks do happen. This poor lady certainly needed a "defense" from wild hogs:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 305584002/
Last edited by dlh on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Topic author
dlh

Post by dlh »

Although it is rare--attacks do happen. This poor lady certainly needed a "defense" from wild hogs:

Ooops. Excuse the double-post. See above.
Last edited by dlh on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Don't forget the time Squeal Team Six took out 3 IS militants:

https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 83&t=88781
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

G.A. Heath wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:51 pm
Nor sure where you get that from, feral hogs tend to hard to kill and equiped with tools to make you bleed out. Add on to that the idea that a handgun is not the ideal weapon when dealing with the 2 legged threats and a long gun is strongly advised to anyone who feels that they are likely to encounter a feral hog.
You must not have spent very much time around hogs. They rarely if ever attack.. and if your sidearm isn’t good for two legged attacks why do you carry it?
Last edited by jb2012 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

dlh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:05 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 305584002/
Yeah like probably one out of every 10472529403625168843221805480 encounters between humans and wild hogs result in an attack..

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Syntyr wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:35 pm You need an AR in 45-70 Automatic!!! :fire
That is just awesome and I'm sure many of us here would really like to have that, but we are also very attached to our shoulders and arms.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I rest that you are much much much likelier to need your weapon to defend against another human, than a feral hog. You keep your rifle on you for those boogie hawwwwggggssss if that’s what lets you sleep at night, none of my concern.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

jb2012 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:14 pm
You must not have spent very much time around hogs. They rarely if ever attack.. and if your sidearm isn’t good for two legged attacks why do you carry it?
Attacks do happen, yes they are rare but they do happen, especially when a momma thinks she is protecting her piglets from a percieved predator. I also want to point out that if someone has feral hogs on their property they often want the hogs dead, and a properly chosen rifle ends thier suffering quicker than a handgun.

As for why carry a handgun if it isn't good for 2 legged attacks? Simple, it's better than nothing and I never said it wasn't any good I said it wasn't ideal. If I ever find i must go somewhere where I will probably need a firearm I'll take a rifle for my primary weapon and keep my handgun for those "just in case" moments.

Think of a handgun for self defense like a donut spare for a flat tire, it isn't ideal but it is better than nothing.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

9mm will kill a hog. I had to use my edc one time
To dispatch one that was charging at my trap door trying to break out. Shot placement is key with anything. But I stand with my other post. 45-70. Hogs are hard to kill. The Almighty designed them to be very tough and resilient. Hogs don’t attack often but it does happen. Mostly they charge if backed into a corner and feel threatened. Almost every time if a human is present they haul tail. But you still need to be prepared!

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

Anybody who has hunted fetal hogs know how tough they can be, I shot one in the head with my 10mm Corbin SD load and it didn't die. Shot placement is key no matter what you use. I've also known guys to shoot them in the ear with a 22LR and drop them. I would still have a long gun on me, mainly so I could kill them at farther distances. The more that are dead the better.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

G.A. Heath wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:19 am
jb2012 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:14 pm
Attacks do happen, yes they are rare but they do happen, especially when a momma thinks she is protecting her piglets from a percieved predator. I also want to point out that if someone has feral hogs on their property they often want the hogs dead, and a properly chosen rifle ends thier suffering quicker than a handgun.

As for why carry a handgun if it isn't good for 2 legged attacks? Simple, it's better than nothing and I never said it wasn't any good I said it wasn't ideal. If I ever find i must go somewhere where I will probably need a firearm I'll take a rifle for my primary weapon and keep my handgun for those "just in case" moments.

Think of a handgun for self defense like a donut spare for a flat tire, it isn't ideal but it is better than nothing.
I’m all about the purposeful removal of invasive species. My whole point is that if you don’t carry a rifle around all of the time to defend yourself from a human threat, it sounds pretty silly that you “need” a rifle for self defense from hogs.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

There's hogs around us. In fact a lone boar came thru last month and ate all the corn in my garden and nothing else. I'm not in the least bit worried about being attacked by a hog. Snakes are what I'm concerned about.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

jb2012 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:38 pm I’m all about the purposeful removal of invasive species. My whole point is that if you don’t carry a rifle around all of the time to defend yourself from a human threat, it sounds pretty silly that you “need” a rifle for self defense from hogs.
Consider this: If I am going somewhere that I think I may need a firearm to deal with a two legged threat I will take a rifle, just as I will take a rifle if I am going somewhere that I think hogs will be a threat I will take a rifle. I have seen hogs shrug off 357 magnum rounds and I have seen them fall from a single .22 short. A rifle offers two key advantages over a handgun, Range and Energy.

If you are going to a place where you think you might need a firearm take a rifle, the rest of the time carry the most effective solution that you can reasonably carry. Be warned that if you assume a handgun is adequate for all situations because that is what someone normally carries it might prove to be a fatal fallacy when one discovers that the handgun simply didn't perform. BTW I had a rifle in an unusual manner today on the range, so even a rifle is not fool proof.

Topic author
dlh

Post by dlh »

I agree with Heath on this one. I will certainly carry a rifle when I walk around out in the pasture.

In addition to the poor lady gored to death by wild hogs in East Texas, the story of which I posted above,
there is this from China:

My chances of needing my handgun are remote too--but I carry one nonetheless. I have had my handgun license for over five years now and carry
on a daily basis. Have I ever needed to use it? No. Will I be carrying today and tomorrow? You betcha.
There is a remote chance my house will burn down---but I have fire extinguishers--same with the need for seatbelts and I could go on and on.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”