Bought my first center fire rifle

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
E150GT
Posts in topic: 4

Bought my first center fire rifle

Post by E150GT »

20200701_210644.jpg
I've purchased a 22lr and a shotgun but now I've gone and bought my first centerfire rifle. A Springfield M1A scout squad in walnut. I've always liked the old military battle rifles and the M1A always seemed too expensive. I had planned on purchasing an AR15 and with that plan I would buy 5.56 ammo every pay period starting sometime last year. I ammassed a few thousand rounds of it. I went and shot a nice AR15 with a buddy for the first time and it even had an acog on it. It didn't really excited me. I had the money for an AR but was dragging my feet. I ended up having a conversation with another buddy of mine and he offered to buy my ammo for a good price. I took him up on it and went and bought an M1A. I picked up some lake city and went to the range. Unfortunately it had a few issues. It would not load the round fully after firing and scarred up the brass pretty bad leaving shavings all over. It's currently back at the mother land being worked on. Hopefully it will come back better than ever. It was a real bummer to drop that kind of cash on a gun and have problems. Especially one I've dreamed about for a long time. While I'm waiting for it to come back I've gotten a new leather sling and a sadlak national match spring guide for it. I'm also looking into more mags and ammo but I'm pretty broke from the purchase so it'll be slow. Here are some pictures of it.
Attachments
20200703_154122.jpg
20200705_164905.jpg

Topic author
E150GT

Re: Bought my first center fire rifle

Post by E150GT »

AndyC wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:50 pm Wow, you went for the gold right away, didn't you? Congrats!

The issues should be readily fixed - sometimes guns just need a little tuning.
Thanks. I don't own a lot of guns nor do I really want a ton of them. I do need to make the ones I buy worthwhile. I'd like to go Hog hunting with my brother and this would fit the bill I think. It's pretty loud though.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

It is a battle rifle not an AR barbie toy ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

She's a beauty! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Congratulations. I love the M1A.
Charlie

howdy

Post by howdy »

I lugged one of those things (M-14) around in the Marine Corps. It got real heavy on force marches. That ammo was also heavy and I could carry more of the 556. I have found at my current age that an AR-15 also gets heavy to lug around. I still enjoy it but I normally carry my Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm at the farm. Very lite weight and can carry 90 rounds with ease.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

That wood stock just makes it special!
I have wanted to buy one myself... It is Purdy!

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Congratulations. Those are beautiful rifles. Too much of a pounding for my shoulder but eventually I may get one just to look at and enjoy having.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

AndyC wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:50 pm Wow, you went for the gold right away, didn't you? Congrats!

The issues should be readily fixed - sometimes guns just need a little tuning.
That's pretty much what I was gonna say... You went big!

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Topic author
E150GT

Post by E150GT »

When it comes to some things I can be a little vain. A lot of things about the M1A are impractacle. They're not ideal for a scope. They're heavy. You can't use whatever ammo you want. They're way overpriced. Ammo is expensive. You can buy more accurate rifles for way less. But boy is it good looking.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

E150GT wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:06 pm When it comes to some things I can be a little vain. A lot of things about the M1A are impractacle. They're not ideal for a scope. They're heavy. You can't use whatever ammo you want. They're way overpriced. Ammo is expensive. You can buy more accurate rifles for way less. But boy is it good looking.
Some times life is just about what brings you happiness.

Topic author
E150GT

Post by E150GT »

Got word the rifle is on the way back. Paperwork says they reamed and polished the chamber. Hope that fixes the issue. Got my leather sling and a couple of CMI mags and a new spring guide ready to go

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”