Scored a 99

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Scored a 99

Post by RPBrown »

Well won one at least :mrgreen: . Years past my mom gave me her Savage model 99. It was a gift to her from her dad in 1964. She gave it to me in 70 when my 30-30 started having issues and she didn’t really enjoy hunting. Even when I moved to Houston in 73, Dad and I would get together every year and go hunting. That rifle was a straight shooter every round. In 88, I was going through a divorce so I left it with my dad for protection. In 89, we were going to get together goat our annual trip and I got a call from him. He asked if I had come and got it without them knowing I was in town. Well, NO. Come to find out, my little brother had taken it and 2 of dad’s shotguns and sold them to fund his addiction. He admitted to taking them but couldn’t remember who he sold them to.
I have been bidding on them at Gun Brokers for a couple of years now but the winning bids were always well out of what they should go for, some upwards of 2k. Others I would get out bid in the last few minutes (I don’t have time to sit and watch a bid) I finally won a bid for one at 980.00. It has been paid for and shipped and I should be able to pick it up Monday or Tuesday. :thewave
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Scored a 99

Post by Oldgringo »

Probably not much chance of your little brother reimbursing you either, is it?

eieio1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by eieio1 »

I feel your pain. I had a Winchester Model 67 bolt action .22 that my dad gave me for Christmas when I was around 7. He had made the walnut stock for the rifle in high school wood shop. It was stolen in a home burglary while I was away at college - I suspect it was my older brother to fund his addiction. What I wouldn't give to be able to find that rifle.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO
NRA Instructor - Rifle and Shotgun

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

RPBrown wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:42 am Well won one at least :mrgreen: . Years past my mom gave me her Savage model 99. It was a gift to her from her dad in 1964. She gave it to me in 70 when my 30-30 started having issues and she didn’t really enjoy hunting. Even when I moved to Houston in 73, Dad and I would get together every year and go hunting. That rifle was a straight shooter every round. In 88, I was going through a divorce so I left it with my dad for protection. In 89, we were going to get together goat our annual trip and I got a call from him. He asked if I had come and got it without them knowing I was in town. Well, NO. Come to find out, my little brother had taken it and 2 of dad’s shotguns and sold them to fund his addiction. He admitted to taking them but couldn’t remember who he sold them to.
I have been bidding on them at Gun Brokers for a couple of years now but the winning bids were always well out of what they should go for, some upwards of 2k. Others I would get out bid in the last few minutes (I don’t have time to sit and watch a bid) I finally won a bid for one at 980.00. It has been paid for and shipped and I should be able to pick it up Monday or Tuesday. :thewave
:thumbs2: Glad you finally were able to replace the Model 99. Now you can start a new legacy! What caliber?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

puma guy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:45 am
RPBrown wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:42 am Well won one at least :mrgreen: . Years past my mom gave me her Savage model 99. It was a gift to her from her dad in 1964. She gave it to me in 70 when my 30-30 started having issues and she didn’t really enjoy hunting. Even when I moved to Houston in 73, Dad and I would get together every year and go hunting. That rifle was a straight shooter every round. In 88, I was going through a divorce so I left it with my dad for protection. In 89, we were going to get together goat our annual trip and I got a call from him. He asked if I had come and got it without them knowing I was in town. Well, NO. Come to find out, my little brother had taken it and 2 of dad’s shotguns and sold them to fund his addiction. He admitted to taking them but couldn’t remember who he sold them to.
:thumbs2: Glad you finally were able to replace the Model 99. Now you can start a new legacy! What caliber?
300 Savage
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

RPBrown wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 pm
puma guy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:45 am
300 Savage
:thumbs2: Perfect!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”