Which Pistol-Caliber Lever-Action is Most Durable/Reliable

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Which Pistol-Caliber Lever-Action is Most Durable/Reliable

Post by Crash »

I have a Browning M92 in .44 Magnum and am wondering which of the pistol-caliber lever-actions is most durable and reliable, my Browning, or one of the pistol-caliber models from Winchester, Marlin, or Henry?
By the way, My Browning is one of the Centennial Models made in 1978 (only 6000 made) and is in great condition (I estimate 95%). It's had only 20 or 30 rounds fired through it.

Crash

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Which Pistol-Caliber Lever-Action is Most Durable/Reliable

Post by srothstein »

About 20 years ago, I had a Winchester Trapper (model 94 with a 16 inch barrel) in 44 magnum. I used it as a patrol rifle in Luling. I did not think I would need a rifle against people but was concerned that my pistol would not work from a distance to dispatch an injured horse or cow. Never had to use it on duty but probably put about 500 rounds down range with it in practice and qualifications. Never had any problems with that rifle and would buy it again if I could.
Steve Rothstein

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Henry in either 357 or 44mag. If you want the most durable version get the all weather. It’s rust proof and has a treated stock so it won’t ever rot.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

srothstein wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:47 pm About 20 years ago, I had a Winchester Trapper (model 94 with a 16 inch barrel) in 44 magnum. I used it as a patrol rifle in Luling. I did not think I would need a rifle against people but was concerned that my pistol would not work from a distance to dispatch an injured horse or cow. Never had to use it on duty but probably put about 500 rounds down range with it in practice and qualifications. Never had any problems with that rifle and would buy it again if I could.
srothstein,

My Browning has a 20" barrel, but if I ever buy another pistol-caliber lever-action, it will be one with the 16" barrel. I don't think you gain much, if anything, in velocity with that extra 4" and I'm sure the shorter one is much handier.

Thanks for your input,

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

cmgee67 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:09 pm Henry in either 357 or 44mag. If you want the most durable version get the all weather. It’s rust proof and has a treated stock so it won’t ever rot.
cmgee67,

Thanks for the recommendation. If I buy another pistol-caliber lever-action, it will probably be a Henry in .357 mag with the shorter barrel (I think it's 16"). I don't think you gain much, if anything, with the extra 4" of barrel and I'm sure the shorter one is much handier.

Crash

JDstar

Post by JDstar »

I've owned pistol caliber levers from Browning, Winchester, Marlin, Henry and Rossi. By far one of the best was a Browning 92 in 44 mag I traded some years ago. Very solid rifle, lite weight and easy to carry that just performed. Spare parts played part of the decision to trade. I still have a Henry in 327 mag that while heavy, is just a solid, accurate rifle. Owned several Marlins over the years in 44 & 357, still have one 44 mag of recent manufacture. Lighter than the Henry, but heavier than the others. All have been solid performers. Still have 2 stainless Rossi's (one in 454 Casull and one in 357) These are the lightest and least expensive, but a little time buffing the metal parts when new and replacing the sites with fiber optics have turned them into handy brush guns... the 357 with 38's is a hoot to shoot. Winchester has only one drawback in my book... the cost. It's often several hundred more than it's competitors. In all the models I've handled in the last 40 years, the only ones I ever saw really damaged were Winchesters in 45 colt... earlier models tended to get pushed by reloaders which led to broken extractors on many, but that was addressed years ago.

I know from experience that your Browning is a great rifle. It's lack of parts is the only downside I can think of. The others are all fine guns, and if the price were right I'd feel fine with any of them.

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

Crash wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:01 am
cmgee67 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:09 pm Henry in either 357 or 44mag. If you want the most durable version get the all weather. It’s rust proof and has a treated stock so it won’t ever rot.
cmgee67,

Thanks for the recommendation. If I buy another pistol-caliber lever-action, it will probably be a Henry in .357 mag with the shorter barrel (I think it's 16"). I don't think you gain much, if anything, with the extra 4" of barrel and I'm sure the shorter one is much handier.

Crash
I think that you are correct that anything over 16" doesn't buy much (except magazine capacity depending on brand). The guys at Ballistics by the Inch have some nice graphs on the subject (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html)

I've been quite happy with my Marlin in .44Mag. It's become my go-to walking around gun when I'm out at the farm as it's light, handy and packs enough punch out to 150 or so yards. I used to run it with a little 1-4x scope, but here lately have become a heretic and used a red dot.... Looks odd, but works well. I like the Marlins in this regard better than the Winchester clones as they have the side eject and a nice mounting surface on top of the receiver.

pawn

Post by pawn »

I like the Henry, and have an all-weather 357 on order since August of 2020. It's taking forever.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”