So I searched Lapua and .308 on Google

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 6

So I searched Lapua and .308 on Google

Post by philip964 »

I guess I can expect a knock on the door from ATF any minute now.

I also didn’t know what Polymer80 was and I searched for that as well.

My Facebook pages is now filled with laser bore sighted
Red dot scopes etc. etc.

I really think its too much of a hobby.

So I’ll ask Lapua vs .308 or 6.5 creedmore?

And is there any place near Houston to shoot these?

One of my retired Facebook friends posted this, seemed appealing.
Attachments
85938889-1ADB-4610-B36F-B4ED79D15F81.jpeg

patterson
Posts in topic: 9

Re: So I searched Lapua and .308 on Google

Post by patterson »

What do you plan on using it for?

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Syntyr »

How big is your wallet?

Rifles start 1000ish. I know you can get cheaper but should you...
Ammo buck a round for decent factory loads

Rifles start 1500ish
Ammo 2 bucks is per round

338 LM
Rifles start 2000
Ammo start at 4 bucks a round if you can find it..

As to the range... American Shooting Center in George Bush Park. Up to 600 yards.

They don't like me there. I fire too fast...
Last edited by Syntyr on Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

patterson

Post by patterson »

Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor is nowhere near 1500.00

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

patterson wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:27 pm Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor is nowhere near 1500.00

Model: 18029
Caliber: 6.5 Creedmoor
Capacity: 10
Barrel Length: 24"
MSRP: $1599.00

https://www.ruger.com/products/precisio ... 18029.html
Syntyr

patterson

Post by patterson »

Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 449.00 , the OP did not say AR10 so I assumed he meant bolt action rifle

madwildcat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by madwildcat »

It does appear to be a bolt action in the picture. philip964, which were you looking for?

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

patterson wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:40 pm Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 449.00 , the OP did not say AR10 so I assumed he meant bolt action rifle
Could be...

Remington 700 in 308 can be had for 600 ish... but we are talking bottom of the line. They will take some work and money to get them to group tight.

You can even get a Savage 110 in 338 LM for 1200 bucks but its going to take some work and money.

All of this is predicated on getting said rifles and ammo. I see almost nothing in stock except on gunsamerica for crazy prices.
Syntyr

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Post by philip964 »

My friends gun is a Bergara in 6.5 Creedmore.

Thanks for all the great tips everyone.

I was thinking bolt action since it would be last confiscated.

I didn’t realize everything was gone already.

However in an earlier post here, someone mentioned the larger NATO round in semiautomatic, like a FN SCAR. Was it called an AR30? That sounded first to be confiscated but even more fun to shoot.

So a cheap .308 with expensive glass would not be the way to go?

Another friend has all these really old rifles he shoots. Are they very accurate at distance? Is the ammunition still made? Is any rife ammunition still available?

patterson

Post by patterson »

Syntyr wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:51 pm
patterson wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:40 pm Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 449.00 , the OP did not say AR10 so I assumed he meant bolt action rifle
Could be...

Remington 700 in 308 can be had for 600 ish... but we are talking bottom of the line. They will take some work and money to get them to group tight.

You can even get a Savage 110 in 338 LM for 1200 bucks but its going to take some work and money.

All of this is predicated on getting said rifles and ammo. I see almost nothing in stock except on gunsamerica for crazy prices.
I mentioned the Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor because I have one and it is a budget rifle but is very accurate

patterson

Post by patterson »

philip964 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:16 am My friends gun is a Bergara in 6.5 Creedmore.

However in an earlier post here, someone mentioned the larger NATO round in semiautomatic, like a FN SCAR. Was it called an AR30? That sounded first to be confiscated but even more fun to shoot.

Another friend has all these really old rifles he shoots. Are they very accurate at distance? Is the ammunition still made? Is any rife ammunition still available?
Both 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 are good hunting calibers but for long range the 6.5

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:37 pm I guess I can expect a knock on the door from ATF any minute now.

I also didn’t know what Polymer80 was and I searched for that as well.

My Facebook pages is now filled with laser bore sighted
Red dot scopes etc. etc.

I really think its too much of a hobby.

So I’ll ask Lapua vs .308 or 6.5 creedmore?

And is there any place near Houston to shoot these?

One of my retired Facebook friends posted this, seemed appealing.
How far do you actually need to shoot? I’m not a sooperdooper sniping shooter, but I have qualified at 800 yards with one of my .308s (a gussied up Remington 700). The retired MARSOC sniper who was training me at the time asked me a question.....

Him: how far out do you want to get today, TAM?

Me: if I could get out to 800, I’d be pretty happy. If I could get out to 1000, I’d be over the moon. But I think that’s about the practical limits of this rifle (pictured below).

Him: nah, I’ve had kills in Afghanistan at 1300 yards with a rifle very much like yours. A 1000 would not be a problem for your rifle.

The rifle is nothing fancy by today's standards, but it has "good bones" .... an accurate 26” heavy contour barrel, a good stock, a good aftermarket trigger, and good optics. My point is not to brag on my rifle, but to ask questions like: how far do you intend to shoot, what do you intend to shoot, and do you have the skill to wring out the performance that your rifle is capable of?

.338 Lapua is a dedicated rifleman's game......."dedicated" as in: absolutely committed to learning to wring out the best that it can offer, and being willing to pay the literal price of entry. Also, above and beyond the cost of the rifle, it’s a cartridge that you’ll not be able to get the best that it can offer without a significant investment in very good optics. It’s one thing to have a clear image at 1000 yards. It’s another entirely to have that clarity of image at 2000 yards. A $500 scope isn't going to get you there.

6.5 Creedmore is a great choice, the only problem being that ammo is still not quite as easily available and inexpensive as .308, which has the benefit of having been easily available in large quantities for about 70 years now. 6.5 Creedmore is still coming into its own. That said, it’s a solid choice; and had it been as easily and generally available as .308 back when I first got into high-powered rifles, I might easily have gone that route instead of investing in .308. And there is no question that the 6.5 is a better long range choice than .308 is. But again, how far do you want to reach out? To put things into perspective, the 800 yards I qualified at is just 80 yards short of half a mile. The next time you’re out driving around, watch your odometer to see how far a half mile actually is. It’s a LONG poke for the average rifleman. 1000 yards is for the better than average rifleman. Are you better than average? It’s an honest question, implying no judgement. It’s not a game that is for everybody.

.308..... not much to be said. It’s an honest cartridge that will outperform the capabilities of most shooters, in most rifles. COVID-19/Biden panicking aside, it’s generally and cheaply available in a broad range of loads....from milspec ball, to "hunting", to long range match. It responds very well to handloading. The optics that will enable you to maximize its capabilities are going to cost less than the optics that will get you out to 1300 and beyond—into the capabilities of the 6.5 Creedmore or the .338 Lapua.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

philip964 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:16 am My friends gun is a Bergara in 6.5 Creedmore.

Bergara in 6.5 or 308 is a great. I have the B14 HMR in 308 and it has shot sub MOA at 100 and 200 numerous times with ease. I was slightly above MOA at 500. I handload my ammo. Reports indicate with factory off the self ammo ( once determined what it likes) the rifle can shot MOA or sub MOA. The B14 HMR comes in under $ 1,000.00. I wanted a well made rifle that had could group well consistently. I almost got the Tikka T3X TAC A1, but was talked out of it due to the magazines were not AICS patterned.

patterson

Post by patterson »

Hornady Precision Hunter in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor both $36.99 at Academy

HD76

Post by HD76 »

If you are looking for a place to shoot, you can become a member of Bayou Rifles. The have a 1000 yard range. It's south of highway 6 on Almeda Rd/FM 521.

https://goo.gl/maps/ikXj2Z7tphC2hWbP7

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”