Will You Still Visit Colorado?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 1

Will You Still Visit Colorado?

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Ok, this may be a bit premature, but it sounds like Colorado is about to pass a law that repeals their state firearms preemption law. That would mean that any local government in Colorado (city, county, even special districts) could pass their own local laws that could restrict firearms (or firearm accessories or specific types of ammo). The local laws could be more restrictive than state laws, but could not be less restrictive.

This does not necessarily mean that local jurisdictions will pass local firearms laws, but they could. And some certainly will (think Boulder for one pretty safe example).

My wife and I ride the motorcycle to Colorado every couple of years for summer vacation. Of course, we go legally armed. If this new law does come to pass, I'm pretty sure that we would decide that it would not be worth the effort before our trip to check every single town and/or county that we would travel through to verify we would be legal under their local gun laws. And that doesn't even account for going through or to places that we might not have planned to go through.

So right now, I'm thinking Colorado will be scratched off my list. Too bad. It is a beautiful state with some great motorcycle roads.

Links and quotes:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/08/politics ... index.html
The Democratic-led Colorado legislature on Thursday passed Senate Bill 256, which would repeal a state law prohibiting a local government from imposing bans on the sale, purchase or possession of a firearm. The bill would allow a local government to enact ordinances or regulations banning a firearm so long as it's "not less restrictive" than state laws.
In April, [Governor] Polis signed two bills into law tightening gun regulations -- one that requires gun owners to report their lost or stolen firearms within five days and another that mandates owners to "responsibly and securely" store their firearms when not in use, to prevent juveniles and other unauthorized users from accessing them.
Asked whether the governor will sign the latest round of bills, Victoria Graham, a spokesperson for Polis, said he "looks forward to reviewing the final pieces of legislation once they reach his desk."
https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb21-256

C-dub

Re: Will You Still Visit Colorado?

Post by C-dub »

Looks like next week can’t come soon enough then. We are Winging it around CO and up Pikes Peak hopefully. I just noticed they are re-opening the summit for pedestrian and vehicle traffic on the 15th. I’m planning on going up on the 16th. Whew!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Well this sucks if it passes. My friends and I usually spend a week in Colorado camping, hiking, and off roading to escape the Texas heat. Hadn't been since 2019 because of the pandemic, was planning on next year being our first year back. I'll have to seriously consider going through the trouble of looking if this passes.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

As I recall, Colorado had already allowed some cities to preempt state law with their own gun control regulations several years ago. Aurora comes to mind. The specifics evade me, but I don’t think that this is entirely new.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Guns notwithstanding, we used to spend our entire summers in a nice, quiet RV park in our RV in Lake City, CO. ATV's were not allowed on city streets (pop. 250. We al had ATV's and abided by the rule....sorta'. We traveled through there on our way home from Montana a couple, three years ago. Side X side wheelers lined the roads, highways, trails, and eateries in town and all over the place.

NO! For the above, and other reasons, We will not be going back to Lake City...ever!

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Oldgringo wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 pm Guns notwithstanding, we used to spend our entire summers in a nice, quiet RV park in our RV in Lake City, CO. ATV's were not allowed on city streets (pop. 250. We al had ATV's and abided by the rule....sorta'. We traveled through there on our way home from Montana a couple, three years ago. Side X side wheelers lined the roads, highways, trails, and eateries in town and all over the place.

NO! For the above, and other reasons, We will not be going back to Lake City...ever!
Funny you mention Lake City. One of my friends lives there (moved from Texas maybe 6-7 years ago). He has been going camping in that area for well over 20 years and I have been going every summer for the last 10 minus last year (and likely this year). I don't spend much time in town other than to get supplies, maybe grab a nice meal, and sometimes a shower. We spend most of our time camping out on the Alpine Loop and off-roading the various trails. The past couple of years, I've noticed the increase traffic with the SXS mainly out on the trail. I know some towns have banned them within the city limits, I think Silverton was one of them, but Lake City allows it. I guess it's all about bringing business to the small towns during the summer as they are dead any other time of year. I get it. But don't like it. But I also don't live there. I go there to get away from everything and I hate hearing the sounds of SXS and ATV's going up and down the trails early in the morning and late in the day.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

My younger brother, retired USMC Lt. Col., and his wife live in Colorado Springs. Should this revocation of state pre-emption pass, I guess they will be coming to Texas to visit us for a change.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

My wife and I are probably going to visit Colorado some time in the fall. The reason is that, they have one of the best Sarcoidosis clinics in the country, in Denver. When looking for places to stay, we initially considered Downtown Denver, then decided it did not suit us for various reasons, especially costs. Looked at Aurora then the crime stats killed that idea so will probably be staying further out. As I understand from what I have read Open Carry is generally permitted in Co but it is banned in Denver, so only CC there. As this will be my first visit to this state does anyone else have any input/advice that might be of help. At first we planned to fly there but it looks like now we will drive instead.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

cirus

Post by cirus »

We go to Colorado almost every summer or fall but only in small towns like Gunnison etc. I never cc because I never feel the need to like back home. My gun is with me in the truck or our lodging at all times just not on me. I would never move to Colorado though. To many libtards.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:25 am My wife and I are probably going to visit Colorado some time in the fall. The reason is that, they have one of the best Sarcoidosis clinics in the country, in Denver. When looking for places to stay, we initially considered Downtown Denver, then decided it did not suit us for various reasons, especially costs. Looked at Aurora then the crime stats killed that idea so will probably be staying further out. As I understand from what I have read Open Carry is generally permitted in Co but it is banned in Denver, so only CC there. As this will be my first visit to this state does anyone else have any input/advice that might be of help. At first we planned to fly there but it looks like now we will drive instead.
It looks like Colorado is soon to be a cluster. If I understand correctly, the state is about to allow any municipality to write their own gun restrictions. How many different counties, cities, towns and other municipal subdivisions do you have to drive through from the Texas panhandle to Denver? How do you know what the gun laws are every time you cross a municipal boundary?

Chaos is guaranteed.

Texas plates will almost certainly be targeted for harassment. Just like New Jersey.

:banghead:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

cirus

Post by cirus »

Might have to start carrying the Benelli M4 when traveling through Colorado. Wonder if they have a problem with long guns since they have alot of out of state hunters?

slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I boycotted Colorado years ago, When their legislature went anti gun. :txflag:
CHL 2002
NRA life member
TSRA Endowment member
TWA member

Lena

Post by Lena »

slowpoke wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:03 pm I boycotted Colorado years ago, When their legislature went anti gun. :txflag:
Same here we used to go all the time and I do like it not now though.
Stay Safe

ntexaschl

Post by ntexaschl »

I'll miss The Rockies.

Return to “Other States”