Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

NY Gov. Hochul previews gun bill

Post by Paladin »

Hochul has been busy:

NY Gov. Hochul previews gun bill, with legal gun ban, restrictions, in response to Supreme Court’s concealed carrying ruling
...will bar guns from being brought into government buildings, schools, subways and buses, medical facilities and more

...The Democrat-led Legislature is scheduled to reconvene Thursday for a special session to approve the measures, which will also strengthen background checks and add 15 hours of in-person training to the requirements needed for a concealed-carry permit.

...Hochul said background checks will also be necessary to purchase ammunition for guns that need a permit, such as handguns and semiautomatic rifles.

...Business owners will have to explicitly state that they allow concealed weapons on their property, most likely with a sign indicating that gun-toting patrons are welcome.

...Firearm storage requirements in homes and vehicles will also be strengthened under the new laws
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Re: NY Gov. Hochul previews gun bill

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

So they basically want to restrict carry as much as possible now that the "unwashed masses" will be able to legally carry guns. The parallels to gun control laws that originated as soon as slaves were freed are obvious here. Democrats really never do change their stripes.

From a practical perspective I'm not sure these restrictions are all that impactful. New Yorkers will still be able to carry at home, in their cars, etc. I know most people in NYC don't drive cars, but short of mandating that employers allow guns in the workplace, these folks wouldn't be able to carry to work regardless. And I'm guessing those New Yorkers who don't live in NYC do drive their own cars to work.

If I think about my personal experience, I spend at most 5% of my time in places that would be covered by the restrictions she is planning.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by powerboatr »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:42 am So they basically want to restrict carry as much as possible now that the "unwashed masses" will be able to legally carry guns. The parallels to gun control laws that originated as soon as slaves were freed are obvious here. Democrats really never do change their stripes.

From a practical perspective I'm not sure these restrictions are all that impactful. New Yorkers will still be able to carry at home, in their cars, etc. I know most people in NYC don't drive cars, but short of mandating that employers allow guns in the workplace, these folks wouldn't be able to carry to work regardless. And I'm guessing those New Yorkers who don't live in NYC do drive their own cars to work.

If I think about my personal experience, I spend at most 5% of my time in places that would be covered by the restrictions she is planning.
democrats never change the stripes, its always about control..disguised as care.
look at the formula they changed so folks on ss, mil retirement, va, active duty etc get less money for pay raises for cost of living increases, now they want to go back to the old way because the new formula bit them in the rear and people for last 2 years actually got a raise that almost offset cost of living increases , this years could even be BIGGER, but alas the critters still have till oct to screw the masses
never mind their pay raises are automatic

as far as ny..never visit, never plan to. but i know a few new yorkers and they despise the way ny restricts your right to carry, so they moved to florida
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

The presumption of the new law is that concealed carry is prohibited on private property with out a sign saying Welcome Concealed Gun Carriers or something like that.

I think this will backfire.

There may be now thousands and thousands of locations with these signs all over New York state. Every time someone sees one of these signs, they may say to themselves, maybe I should get a gun of my own and get this permit. Kind of like gun advertising.

Apparently this latest shocking murder of a 20 year old mom with a stroller with her 3 month old baby inside has really got people in New York City upset.

This occurred on the Upper East side. I have no idea where that is, but apparently it is considered a "safe" and "nice" part of town.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

philip964 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:23 pm The presumption of the new law is that concealed carry is prohibited on private property with out a sign saying Welcome Concealed Gun Carriers or something like that.

I think this will backfire.

There may be now thousands and thousands of locations with these signs all over New York state. Every time someone sees one of these signs, they may say to themselves, maybe I should get a gun of my own and get this permit. Kind of like gun advertising.

Apparently this latest shocking murder of a 20 year old mom with a stroller with her 3 month old baby inside has really got people in New York City upset.

This occurred on the Upper East side. I have no idea where that is, but apparently it is considered a "safe" and "nice" part of town.
Any bets on stores posting the sign similar to how some houses post security system signs? Perhaps a bluff to scare off criminals.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Those restrictions are very similar to Illinois (except the "Business owners will have to explicitly state that they allow concealed weapons"). And the last time I was in IL, I carried everywhere I wanted to go. Folks in NY will find a way.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Cripes. They can make it almost impossible to get a CC permit. That 15 hours of "in person instruction" can have all kinds of stipulations, e.g. huge fees, offered twice a year in 1 or 2 locations, requiring impossible test scores, etc. etc. as if anybody can take 2 full days off to attend the classes, which will inevitable be offered only on work days.

No guns on subways? The place in NY were you would MOST want to carry.

Background checks to buy ammo? Are they talking about NICs, or some ponderous state-created system? I presume you could just go out of state and buy a couple of cases of ammo and haul it home.

And the crack in this country grows wider......................
-Ruark

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2022/07/01/new-york- ... reddit.com

They want social media information.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

philip964 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:38 pm https://nypost.com/2022/07/01/new-york- ... reddit.com

They want social media information.
The Thought Police have truly arrived in New York.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

They also want 4 personal character references. The list goes on.
-Ruark

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Ruark wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:32 pm Cripes. They can make it almost impossible to get a CC permit. That 15 hours of "in person instruction" can have all kinds of stipulations, e.g. huge fees, offered twice a year in 1 or 2 locations, requiring impossible test scores, etc. etc. as if anybody can take 2 full days off to attend the classes, which will inevitable be offered only on work days.

Background checks to buy ammo? Are they talking about NICs, or some ponderous state-created system? I presume you could just go out of state and buy a couple of cases of ammo and haul it home.

If these "woke" companies that are paying travel expenses for abortions really cared about constitutional rights, then they would also pay travel expenses for people who go out of New York state to buy ammo. But I doubt that's going to happen.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Ruark wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:12 pm They also want 4 personal character references. The list goes on.
4 character references but getting rid of "may issue"? How does that work exactly? Do you just need 4 people to attest to the fact that you are not a felon and can legally possess a firearm (the same thing that a background check would show)?

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Ruark wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:32 pm Cripes. They can make it almost impossible to get a CC permit. That 15 hours of "in person instruction" can have all kinds of stipulations, e.g. huge fees, offered twice a year in 1 or 2 locations, requiring impossible test scores, etc. etc. as if anybody can take 2 full days off to attend the classes, which will inevitable be offered only on work days.

Of course the crooks who run NYC (and seemingly the entire state) don't want anyone legally carrying on the subway. Just think if someone defended themselves against an unprovoked attack by a dirtbag criminal or a violent psycho. Remember Bernie Goetz? Not saying he was a nice guy, but those punks threatened him with stabbing. Just imagine if that took place multiple times across the City. The Democrat voting base would be "hair on fire" about it.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

When I lived in NYC, the tax on cigarettes was so high that there was a thriving industry in smuggling cigarettes into the city from other locations … like thriving enough that organized crime was actually involved in the business.

That’s what will happen with ammo in NY, if you have to have a background check to buy it. If Joe tells Sam, Bob, and Pete that he’s driving to PA or VT to buy a few boxes of .30-30, they might give him some cash to pick up a case or two of something to split between them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

Ruark wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:32 pm No guns on subways? The place in NY were you would MOST want to carry.
Indeed. Last time I was on a NYC subway with a raving lunatic in my face yelling racial insults at me all I had was my bare hands... and who knows what diseases that piece of filth had...
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Other States”