Maryland teen sleeping with firearm

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Maryland teen sleeping with firearm

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I found this story interesting. In what realm is this weapon a "rifle", much less an SBR? Given that it's Maryland, it may be illegal regardless, of course.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/maryland-tee ... e4bc557250

Tex1961

Re: Maryland teen sleeping with firearm

Post by Tex1961 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:51 pm I found this story interesting. In what realm is this weapon a "rifle", much less an SBR? Given that it's Maryland, it may be illegal regardless, of course.

When officers entered the room, they observed the 15-year-old suspect laying on his back, asleep with a short barreled AR-15 style rifle loaded with a black magazine to the left of his body, police said in a news release.

I’m more confused as to what does the magazine being black have to do with anything.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

That fore-grip may give him some extra legal problems. I'm thinking ATF may consider that an AOW, which could bring federal charges.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:51 pm I found this story interesting. In what realm is this weapon a "rifle", much less an SBR? Given that it's Maryland, it may be illegal regardless, of course.

It is Maryland of course its illegal.

The police were invited into the house, I was a little worried Maryland now has police randomly checking bedrooms at night.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Paladin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:51 pm That fore-grip may give him some extra legal problems. I'm thinking ATF may consider that an AOW, which could bring federal charges.
I think the vertical foregrip actually makes it an SBR for the ATF. It is now designed to be fired with more than one hand, making it a rifle, and the barrel is too short so it is an SBR.

Of course, I am not an ATF agent so I could be very wrong on their interpretations of the law.
Steve Rothstein

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

srothstein wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:20 pm
Paladin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:51 pm That fore-grip may give him some extra legal problems. I'm thinking ATF may consider that an AOW, which could bring federal charges.
I think the vertical foregrip actually makes it an SBR for the ATF. It is now designed to be fired with more than one hand, making it a rifle, and the barrel is too short so it is an SBR.

Of course, I am not an ATF agent so I could be very wrong on their interpretations of the law.
:iagree:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

AOW Pistols

For pistols, there are a few situations where the weapon will be classified as an AOW....It’s also possible to use these mounts to attach vertical grips. If you do, you have created an AOW pistol and it will need to be registered as such.

Essentially, pistols are legally classified as weapons meant to be used in one hand (good technique calls for both hands, but, again, we’re talking about government rules). By adding an additional grip, you have made the handgun into a weapon that is now intended to be held with both hands, which would then classify the weapon as an AOW. So if you decide to mount a vertical grip, you would have to register the firearm as an AOW.
What on Earth Does “Any Other Weapon” Mean?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Teens sleeping with rifles

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: