Utah wait times?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Utah wait times?

Post by WildBill »

Thanks Linda, I will send a copy of my Texas CHL with my application.
NRA Endowment Member

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

Note this quote from an article on Utah apps I posted here: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... =9&t=16093
The increase in applications has boosted revenues from the program to about $1 million annually, up from a projected $600,000 or so. That's enabled the department to cut the time it takes to process an application from three months to just one, Anderson said.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
tvone
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tvone »

Heck, with all of the stuff I've been sending the ATF, my background check should be on the top of someone's desk.

There's been a HUGE rush lately of CIII applications, and I imagine Utah is seeing a sharp increase for the same reasons.

When I talked to them last week, it was taking 6 weeks just to go pending on an applications. 4 months ago, people were getting them turned around in a month.

The handwriting is on the wall...

apostate

Post by apostate »

I hope I get my Utah CFP before I leave for my trip to Washington in July...

5/23 - class with Chas
5/24 - mailed application
5/27 - app received by BCI

Topic author
tvone
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tvone »

Woo Hoo!

Got an email back from Utah DPS that my license has been approved on 5/28.

Took about 9 weeks. Still about 1/2 the time for a Texas CHL.

apostate

Post by apostate »

BCI received my application more than a week ago but they still haven't cashed my check. :headscratch

Penn

Post by Penn »

apostate wrote:BCI received my application more than a week ago but they still haven't cashed my check. :headscratch
They took about 15-16 calendar days just to charge my card. You're still on track I would think.

kappatiff

Post by kappatiff »

Getting another state's CHL to carry quicker in TX never would have occurred to me.

For all of you that have them, do you have to actually GO to Utah to do the training? I just can't figure out how you came across a CHL Instructor who's licensed for Utah, in Texas. Is anyone willing to explain the logistics of this little trick? Very curious ... since my check just cleared 4 days ago, I've got quite a wait ahead of me .... it's just depressing, and if spending more money for a quicker UT license makes me feel proactive, then hallelujah!
{The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun}

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Depending on where you live in Texas there are several instructors listed here http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/insoutstate.pdf

The list includes this forums own llwatson in the DFW area and Charles Cotton in the Houston area. Search the forum for 'Utah class' and you will find some discussions on getting your permit and class locations.

kappatiff wrote:Getting another state's CHL to carry quicker in TX never would have occurred to me.

For all of you that have them, do you have to actually GO to Utah to do the training? I just can't figure out how you came across a CHL Instructor who's licensed for Utah, in Texas. Is anyone willing to explain the logistics of this little trick? Very curious ... since my check just cleared 4 days ago, I've got quite a wait ahead of me .... it's just depressing, and if spending more money for a quicker UT license makes me feel proactive, then hallelujah!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Keith B wrote:Depending on where you live in Texas there are several instructors listed here http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/insoutstate.pdf

The list includes this forums own llwatson in the DFW area and Charles Cotton in the Houston area. Search the forum for 'Utah class' and you will find some discussions on getting your permit and class locations.
Excellent .pdf post, Keith. Thanks for the info.

Getting the Utah license is a great way to get legal in Texas while waiting for the Texas one to come in. I'm not nearly as anxious for when my Texas license comes in because I can already legally carry.

However, note that some LEOs may wonder why you're a Texas resident but have an out of state license. Be ready to answer a couple of extra questions.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davefrmmrfy

Post by davefrmmrfy »

All righty, got mine Saturday. So, lets see.
Took Linda's class April 19, mailed the application Monday, April 21. Utah "daubed" my credit card on June 11.

So, 7 days a week times 13 weeks, divide by 4, carry the "naught".

Took, ballpark, 90 days, but I have it.

Thanks again, Linda. (Picture stinks, but they did not have a lot to work with.) :cheers2:

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

cbr600 wrote:
Kythas wrote:However, note that some LEOs may wonder why you're a Texas resident but have an out of state license. Be ready to answer a couple of extra questions.
If it's concealed, there's no need to answer extra questions.
:woohoo
Except for the fact that you are still bound by Texas law to show your Utah CHL when asked for identification. Just because you are carrying on an out-of-state license does not make this requirement go away.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Crossfire »

davefrmmrfy wrote: Thanks again, Linda. (Picture stinks, but they did not have a lot to work with.) :cheers2:
We do what we can! Glad you got it!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

davefrmmrfy wrote:All righty, got mine Saturday. So, lets see.
Took Linda's class April 19, mailed the application Monday, April 21. Utah "daubed" my credit card on June 11.

So, 7 days a week times 13 weeks, divide by 4, carry the "naught".

Took, ballpark, 90 days, but I have it.

Thanks again, Linda. (Picture stinks, but they did not have a lot to work with.) :cheers2:
So you basically got your card 5 weeks after they charged your card, but had to wait almost 2 months for them to even get to charging your card. I assume that Utah won't actually start processing your application until your funds clear. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is because Utah hit my card 4 business days after they received my application (see signature). So based on your post I'm trying to figure out what they are doing with my application. I don't know if I should be setting my wait time on the time from when Utah received my application, or the time from Utah charged my card for the application. Your story tells two differnt time lines, 12 weeks (90 days) from when they received your application versus 5 weeks from when they charged your card.

Return to “Other States”