Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

UT: Utah axes gun-permit requirement

Post by ELB »

https://freebeacon.com/guns/utah-axes-g ... quirement/
The new law will go into effect on May 5. It passed the Utah Senate by a 22-6 vote and the House by a 51-20 vote. Utah residents will still be able to obtain a concealed carry permit, which some other states require for nonresidents within their borders.
USAF 1982-2005

OneGun

Re: UT: Utah axes gun-permit requirement

Post by OneGun »

I'm sure this will blow Liberals' minds...........
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Hoodasnacks

Post by Hoodasnacks »

I guess the old get a UT permit trick is over...good for them.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Soooo Utah has Constitutional Carry?
Come on Texas...You Can Do It!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Hoodasnacks wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:38 pm I guess the old get a UT permit trick is over...good for them.
No, permit remains for both in-state and out-of-state residents who are interested.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:46 pm Soooo Utah has Constitutional Carry?
Come on Texas...You Can Do It!
‘Constitutional carry’ (properly referred to as ‘unlicensed carry’) can come with some pitfalls. It may not get full privileges and can get quite convoluted in the laws.

A good example is Missouri. They always had unlicensed open carry, but allowed cities and counties to prohibit it by ordinance.

In 2005 they passed licensed concealed carry, and cities could not prohibit concealed, but could still prohibit open carry.

In 2016 they changed the law to allow unlicensed concealed carry. Cities cannot restrict unlicensed concealed carry, but still prohibit unlicensed open carry, but removed the allowance for them to restrict open carry if you had a concealed license. :???:

Also, to further confuse things, while you can carry concealed without a license, if you go into a prohibited location while carrying unlicensed, there are criminal penalties associated with that. If you have a valid concealed carry license, then there is no criminal penalty, but they can force you to leave. If you refuse, then there can be trespassing charges levied against you. :confused5

Totally confusing and convoluted. :waiting:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

clarionite
Posts in topic: 4

Post by clarionite »

I believe the Federal GFSZA would be an issue also with constitutional carry.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

clarionite wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:41 pm I believe the Federal GFSZA would be an issue also with constitutional carry.
Yes it is.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Flightmare »

By the same argument, the Motorist Protection Act (which is a form of unlicensed carry in Texas) would also have the potential to run afoul of the GFSZA.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:32 pm By the same argument, the Motorist Protection Act (which is a form of unlicensed carry in Texas) would also have the potential to run afoul of the GFSZA.
I'm not arguing against Constitutional Carry. I think it's a great Idea. But there will be many who run afoul of the law unintentionally because they haven't taken the LTC class that points these things out to them. I'm sure many will leave it in their vehicles when they park in the post office parking lot too, thinking they're not bringing it into the "Premises".

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

clarionite wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:51 pm
Flightmare wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:32 pm By the same argument, the Motorist Protection Act (which is a form of unlicensed carry in Texas) would also have the potential to run afoul of the GFSZA.
I'm not arguing against Constitutional Carry. I think it's a great Idea. But there will be many who run afoul of the law unintentionally because they haven't taken the LTC class that points these things out to them. I'm sure many will leave it in their vehicles when they park in the post office parking lot too, thinking they're not bringing it into the "Premises".
One of the biggest bonuses I could think of with Constitutional Carry would be if the wording is written correctly about holding a license... If for some reason you forgot your wallet in the vehicle or at home, you'd still be covered because of Constitutional Carry and since you're a license holder be covered that way too. Right now you might run afoul because you didn't have the license on your person.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I'm a fan of less restrictions on my rights. So I do favor open carry, I do favor constitutional carry. I rarely open carry. And I would continue to hold my license. If for no other reason than much faster 4473 paperwork

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Flightmare »

clarionite wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:56 pm I'm a fan of less restrictions on my rights. So I do favor open carry, I do favor constitutional carry. I rarely open carry. And I would continue to hold my license. If for no other reason than much faster 4473 paperwork
I would plain to maintain my license for faster processing from an FFL, and for reciprocity where a license is required and a Texas LTC is recognized.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

constitutional carry is great
i just like knowing folks i see carrying have had some sort of look see at their past criminal behavior if there was some.

when i see folks open carrying i at least know now they are less likely to go bat crap crazy, not NEVER, just less likely

plus for law enforcement

i know police like knowing if the person they just stopped has a license or not as it takes the level of danger down a notch as he or she approaches a vehicle.

they already are under attack like never before. It drives me nuts that our Highway patrol are patrolling as one man cars. we have lots of state highways that are dark and isolated unlike most city areas with local police.

limited government is always good, as i have said many times before. But i like a balance to protect everyone as best we can without crunching rights
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Texas already has constitutional carry. We are really just arguing about the restrictions on carry without an LTC.

Without a license, right now, you can carry on your property, from your property to your vehicle (if its not parked on your property), while driving in your vehicle, walking to / from a business you control, or to / from a shooting range, IDPA match, etc.

We are really only talking about whether we want to expand Texas constitutional (aka license free) carry to also include entry into property that you don't own / control, and which is not otherwise restricted (30.06/.07, statutory restrictions, etc). When you think about it in those terms it becomes a much smaller step.

In my average day, pre-Covid, my LTC only really mattered for an average of less than an hour a day. Now that I've been working from home it doesn't matter at all most days (I could carry the same places I go without an LTC).

Return to “Other States”