Posts in topic: 2

Law-Abiding Gun Owner Says There's A Message in His Lawsuit

Post by Paladin »

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/viewstory.a ... 0228c.html

"Law-Abiding Gun Owner Says There's A Message in His Lawsuit
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
February 28, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - Second Amendment supporters have filed a lawsuit stemming from the wrongful arrest of a Utah man who was detained at the Newark, N.J., airport because he had a gun in his luggage.

As required by federal law, the firearm was unloaded, locked and stored in a case inside Gregg Revell's luggage. Although federal law protects law-abiding citizens who travel with firearms, Revell nevertheless was arrested for possessing a firearm without a New Jersey state license.

Federal law should have trumped state and local law in Revell's case, said the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs, Inc.

The Association said it is suing the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and one of its police officers for wrongfully arresting and imprisoning Revell, who spent five days in jail before his family raised the required $15,000 cash to bail him out.

The lawsuit seeks more than $3-million for civil rights violations; and a permanent injunction forcing the Port Authority to follow federal law on the interstate transportation of firearms. It also sends a message.

"The Port Authority blatantly violated federal law when it arrested Gregg Revell," said Scott Bach, president of the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs and a member of the NRA Board of Directors.

"Those charged with enforcing the law have a special responsibility to follow it themselves," Bach said. He called Revell's arrest part of a pattern of misconduct by the Port Authority.

"This lawsuit is intended to send a signal, not only to the Port Authority but to every agency and officer responsible for policing our airports and highways: if you violate the rights of law-abiding gun owners, you will be held fully accountable."

Revell, 57, was traveling from his home in Utah to Allentown, Pa., to pick up a car, which he intended to drive back to Utah, the Association said. Revell, who had a Utah firearms permit and no criminal record, properly stored and declared his firearm in Utah.

The trouble began when Revell missed his connection to Allentown and spent the night in Newark. He was arrested the next morning after returning to the Newark airport, where he once again declared his firearm, as required by FAA regulations.

Several months after Revell's arrest, all charges were withdrawn and the case was dismissed.

"I did nothing wrong yet was arrested and subjected to the worst treatment imaginable for almost a week," said Revell, who said he received abusive and unsanitary treatment during his five days in a New Jersey jail.

"I brought this lawsuit together with the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs because I want to stop this kind of abuse from ever happening again," said Revell.

The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs noted that Revell's travels were protected by the Firearms Owner Protection Act of 1986, a law that protects interstate travel with firearms under certain conditions -- all of which Revell met."
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I've been watching this travesty of justice. I hope somebody gets cooked on this one.
I would add the airline to the lawsuit. :evil:

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

"The lawsuit seeks more than $3-million for civil rights violations; and a permanent injunction forcing the Port Authority to follow federal law on the interstate transportation of firearms. It also sends a message. "

I am 100% behind this. The Port Authority needs to be sent a clear and unmistakable message. Those elitists not only believe they are better than the common folk, but that they don't need to follow the law either.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This guy's story is chilling. There was a good chance he wasn't going to survive his time in jail. He came to the last meeting of the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund (CRDF) and told us what happened in detail. I was infuriated! The CRDF is supporting this suit and I'm proud of it.

Chas.

BTW, Scott Bach is an NRA Board member running for re-election and he has my strong endorsement.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I saw this on another board and I really hope he wins BIG
HighVelocity wrote:I would add the airline to the lawsuit. :evil:
I just gotta ask - on what grounds?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Kalrog wrote:I saw this on another board and I really hope he wins BIG
HighVelocity wrote:I would add the airline to the lawsuit. :evil:
I just gotta ask - on what grounds?
His attorney investigated bringing the airline in, but decided there was no viable claim. I don't recall the specifics, but the airline was the cause of him missing his plane. I think it had something to do with the airline failing to transfer his baggage to the new flight. Instead, they put it on the carousel as though N.J. was his destination, forcing him to get it and go back to the counter and declare the firearm. I may be wrong on this, as it was a very minor part of the presentation. At any rate, it was not foreseeable that the Port Authority would blatantly violate federal law (FOPA) so a claim against the airline wouldn't be viable. It would also detract from the real motive of hammering the agencies and officers involved.

Regards,
Chas.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I can see it now...

If they (Port Authority) try to defend this illegal arrest and detainment based upon, "Why did you miss your flight, sir?"

I would just up the ante, another million...Just for saying that...Hurt them in the pocketbook...That always gets their attention...

But I guess that makes me unreasonable and mean spirited...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

stevie_d_64 wrote:But I guess that makes me unreasonable and mean spirited...
It sure does. Welcome to the club - although your membership might be older than mine...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

stevie_d_64 wrote: . . . But I guess that makes me unreasonable and mean spirited...
Not at all. They can't hit these people hard enough. The arresting officer was told by the victim that he was protected by FOPA and his response was "this is New Jersey, we don't [care] about federal law." I hope this guy gets hit for at least 50% of the verdict. I would make sure the judgment included language that his actions constituted intentional conduct making sure he couldn't file bankruptcy and discharge the debt. I'd then file an abstract of judgment and he'd never own a thing in his name the rest of his life.

Chas.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

You go Charles! Are you sure you don't want that Attorney General position?

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote: . . . But I guess that makes me unreasonable and mean spirited...
Not at all. They can't hit these people hard enough. The arresting officer was told by the victim that he was protected by FOPA and his response was "this is New Jersey, we don't [care] about federal law." I hope this guy gets hit for at least 50% of the verdict. I would make sure the judgment included language that his actions constituted intentional conduct making sure he couldn't file bankruptcy and discharge the debt. I'd then file an abstract of judgment and he'd never own a thing in his name the rest of his life.

Chas.
Man...Talk about both barrels (pardon the pun) :lol:

I'm glad Charles is my friend...

You are my friend right Charles??? :lol:

Charles???

Yo, Charles???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Kalrog wrote:You go Charles! Are you sure you don't want that Attorney General position?
[Cough]...paycut...[Cough] :lol:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

90north
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 90north »

Did Mr. Revell ever get his pistol back?

Return to “Other States”