Are we working on getting reciprocity from Alabama?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 1

Are we working on getting reciprocity from Alabama?

Post by Doug.38PR »

They seem to be the only state in the South we don't have reciprocity with. Any particular reason why?

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Alabama has some real differences in their CCW law and Texas's CHL law...There will probably be no happy middle ground achievable...

The recourse you have available to get over the speedbump called Alabama is to get a New Hampshire Non-Resident permit...

With that you increase the number of states you can carry in on that permit alone...

Its a downloadable form, copy of your Texas CHL and DL both front and back and $20, and in about 2 weeks you get this neat little card in the mail that fixes the problem...

I highly recommend it...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Stevie,
I followed this advice a few months ago and go my NH permit! I actually go to Alabama from time to time.......now it will be legal! Super easy to obtain......and almost two weeks exactly! Take care.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The issues with Alabama, I am fairly certain, is that the counties issue the CHL's and there is no uniformity, and not all counties require background checks. Kind of like the 'Bama version of the Kalifornia or N'Yark good ol' boy network.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

rodnocker1

Post by rodnocker1 »

Is the info on the New Hampshire Nonresident permit up to date? I just went to packing.org and the link to New Hampshire says that they shall issue to states they have reciprocity with, but they don't have it with Texas. Does this mean that they are now not issuing Nonresident permits to Texans or am I reading it wrong?
Rodney

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

rodnocker1 wrote:Is the info on the New Hampshire Nonresident permit up to date? I just went to packing.org and the link to New Hampshire says that they shall issue to states they have reciprocity with, but they don't have it with Texas. Does this mean that they are now not issuing Nonresident permits to Texans or am I reading it wrong?
According to packing.org:
Effective 10/21/04, you must have a Permit to Carry from ANY state before New Hampshire will issue you a non-resident New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License. A Concealed Carry Permit with restrictions will be accepted by New Hampshire and they will issue you a non-resident License even with a Restricted Concealed Carry Permit.
This is consistent with the directions on the back of their application--a permit from any state, even non-resident permits, satisfy the requirement.

rodnocker1

Post by rodnocker1 »

After getting off work at 6:00 A.M. and having worked a 12 hour shift, I had a moment of brief and rare clarity. I guess all of my "DUH" brain cells were too tired to fight and the one good brain cell I have been holding in reserve was able to over come them. It would make no sense to get a nonresident license if you had reciprocity with them already. :roll: Thanks for cutting me alot of slack everyone. I hope it doesn't happen again, BUT.... Well, I'll just say Thanks Again in advance.
Rodney

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

rodnocker1 wrote:After getting off work at 6:00 A.M. and having worked a 12 hour shift, I had a moment of brief and rare clarity. I guess all of my "DUH" brain cells were too tired to fight and the one good brain cell I have been holding in reserve was able to over come them. It would make no sense to get a nonresident license if you had reciprocity with them already. :roll: Thanks for cutting me alot of slack everyone. I hope it doesn't happen again, BUT.... Well, I'll just say Thanks Again in advance.
Don't sweat it...I have more moments of "duh" than anyone else here...

Go check out that map that AggieMM made the other day...I used the license tool at PDO before I got my NH permit...And at that time, there were a few states that Texas didn't have that NH did, but Texas made up for in the last couple of years...

But Alabama is still the big speedbump to me, that keeps me thinking of renewing it when the time comes...

I still think its a good value considering its only $20, and if I only get one or two states with it...I guess I am ok with it...Nothing more than filling out the application, making a copy of your current CCW license, money order, and bang, two weeks flys by, and you'll get the permit...

Quicker than catching a greased pig at the rodeo...If yer into that kinda thing... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Other States”