Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Reciprocity Map

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Keith B wrote:
jrandyw wrote:Thanks Keith. Its pretty clear to me now that I re-read what it actually says on the Wisconsin website. I just wish we'd extend the same courtesy to WI as they extend to TX.
Wisconsin has only had concealed carry for about a year. They have to approach each state they want full reciprocity with and ask get the attorney general or governor to sign it. It takes some time and the will of the state officials to try and secure that reciprocity. If you look at the reciprocity map you will see that there a LOT unilateral reciprocity states where Wisconsin honors them, but the other state do not honor them do to no written or statutorial reciprocity.
But I thought Texas grants automatic reciprocity to any state that conducts an NICS background check in the licensing process?
Can you cite that?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txhusker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txhusker »

Getting a non-resident CHL from Virginia gets Ohio as well! You can also pick up Maine and Connecticut with non-resident CHL's for each of those states.
Last edited by txhusker on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jumping Frog »

Keith B wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:But I thought Texas grants automatic reciprocity to any state that conducts an NICS background check in the licensing process?
Can you cite that?
Sec. 411.173(b) The governor shall negotiate an agreement with any other state that provides for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed handgun under which a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state or shall issue a proclamation that a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state if the attorney general of the State of Texas determines that a background check of each applicant for a license issued by that state is initiated by state or local authorities or an agent of the state or local authorities before the license is issued. For purposes of this subsection, "background check" means a search of the National Crime Information Center database and the Interstate Identification Index maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:But I thought Texas grants automatic reciprocity to any state that conducts an NICS background check in the licensing process?
Can you cite that?
Sec. 411.173(b) The governor shall negotiate an agreement with any other state that provides for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed handgun under which a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state or shall issue a proclamation that a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state if the attorney general of the State of Texas determines that a background check of each applicant for a license issued by that state is initiated by state or local authorities or an agent of the state or local authorities before the license is issued. For purposes of this subsection, "background check" means a search of the National Crime Information Center database and the Interstate Identification Index maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Doesn't appear to be 'automatic'. The agreement must be negotiated.

Also, they will issue a license without a NICS check, so maybe that is in contention. Just guessing.
(9r) EMERGENCY LICENSE. (a) An individual who
requires an immediate license may petition the court in
the county in which he or she resides for such a license.
Unless the court knows that the individual is ineligible
for a license under sub. (3), a court may issue an emergency
license to an individual if the court determines that
immediate licensure is warranted to protect the individual
from death or great bodily harm, as defined in s.
939.22 (14).
(b) An emergency license issued under this subsection
is valid for 30 days unless it is revoked under par.
(bm) or it is void under par. (c).
(bm) If the court determines that a holder of an emergency
license issued under par. (a) is ineligible under sub.
(3) for a license, the court shall revoke the emergency
license.
(c) If the holder of an emergency license issued under
par. (a) applies for a license under sub. (7) and is determined
to be ineligible under sub. (3) for a license, the
emergency license is void.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jumping Frog »

Keith B wrote:Doesn't appear to be 'automatic'. The agreement must be negotiated.
You missed the "or":

"or shall issue a proclamation that a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state"

Sometimes Texas has a reciprocity agreement, sometimes a unilateral proclamation is issued.

I haven't read the fine print of WI law. If there are licenses issued with an NICS check, then that would be a block.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Keith B wrote:Doesn't appear to be 'automatic'. The agreement must be negotiated.
You missed the "or":

"or shall issue a proclamation that a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state"

Sometimes Texas has a reciprocity agreement, sometimes a unilateral proclamation is issued.

I haven't read the fine print of WI law. If there are licenses issued with an NICS check, then that would be a block.
Didn't miss it, just didn't list it. Still not automatic. ;-)

They do reqire a NICS for their license. http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/re ... cts/35.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; See section 175.60 (9g)
Keith

tomjfrye

Post by tomjfrye »

I travel to Nevada frequently. Last time I was out there, a LGS said that Nevada was going to recognize Texas CHL sometime this fall. So far, I haven't been able to validate that online anywhere. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

tomjfrye wrote:I travel to Nevada frequently. Last time I was out there, a LGS said that Nevada was going to recognize Texas CHL sometime this fall. So far, I haven't been able to validate that online anywhere. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
No Texas currently... http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SC was added to their reciprocity list this past July.

I've not heard any rumblings re:Texas, but admit I don't pay much mind to NV.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
AggieMM
Posts in topic: 44

Post by AggieMM »

Updated the Map.
- Updated 3/6/2013 - Removed AZ Non-Res from Nevada

Ryan

BigBangSmallBucks

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

[quote="AggieMM"]UPDATED 3/6/2013

Looks like I won't be going to the east or west coast anytime soon. I literally won't set foot in a state that doesn't honor Texas CHL's

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

So I can carry in 34 states now, did I count it right?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

I think you missed one.

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

The Texas DPS page still shows that Iowa is Unilateral. It's been years now. Who is wrong?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

gdanaher wrote:The Texas DPS page still shows that Iowa is Unilateral. It's been years now. Who is wrong?
Well, they kind of are. There is no formal reciprocity agreement with Iowa and Texas. We have always honored their licenses. And a couple of years ago Iowa opened up to honor all other states licenses.

So, since Texas really doesn't have a formal agreement other than what was put in place for us to honor theirs, it is still a unilateral agreement.
Keith

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

Fiddlesticks. I'm headed to Vegas tonight & disappointed to find out I can't carry!
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Return to “Other States”