Reciprocity Map

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Reciprocity Map

Post by Jumping Frog »

You need to update the map again. I just found out that the AZ-OH reciprocity agreement limits reciprocity to AZ residents traveling in Ohio. An AZ non-resident license does not have Ohio reciprocity.

This has been recently discussed here: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-c ... od-oh.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And here: http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A copy of the reciprocity agreement is listed here: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/file ... -Agreement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reciprocity agreement, paragraph #1 page 2 clearly limits the reciprocity to residents of each state.

I have no idea why it is limited this way. The agreement was signed within months of the original concealed handgun law passing in Ohio and it does not use the same standard language of typical Ohio reciprocity agreements.

I'd hate to see a Texan in Ohio carrying on an AZ non-resident license find himself more excitement than he bargained for.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
AggieMM
Posts in topic: 44

Post by AggieMM »

Thank you for the heads up, will update the map soon. Thanks to all for helping us keep this current and accurate.

Ryan

Topic author
AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Two future updates coming: Ryan

Topic author
AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Unfortunately, had to remove AZ Non-res from Ohio, and removed NM Reciprocity. Map is updated.

Ryan

discoqueen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by discoqueen »

AggieMM wrote:Unfortunately, had to remove AZ Non-res from Ohio, and removed NM Reciprocity. Map is updated.

Ryan
NM reciprocity should be added back now. ;-)
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

Topic author
AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Got to love it. Updating now.......

Ryan

USMC-COL
Posts in topic: 6

Post by USMC-COL »

From the NRA:

Update on Right-to-Carry Reciprocity in New Mexico

Posted on May 1, 2012

Statement from the New Mexico Department of Public Safety:

In response to several inquiries, it is important to clarify information relating to the Department of Public Safety’s audit of other states’ concealed carry statutes.

First, it is important to note that the Department of Public Safety has not made final decisions to change reciprocity agreements or recognition of other states, but rather DPS is conducting an audit of those statutes to ensure compliance with New Mexico state law.

The information on this web page differentiates those states that have concealed carry laws that are substantially similar to New Mexico’s law (or more stringent) from those that do not.  For those states that have had reciprocity agreements with New Mexico, but do not now have a similar law to ours, NM DPS will contact those states to clarify which permit holders from that state are not allowed to carry a concealed weapon in New Mexico.  This will not affect the vast majority of permit holders in states with current reciprocity agreements.

For example, if New Mexico currently has a reciprocity agreement with a particular state that allows individuals under age 21, non-citizens, and/or individuals convicted of violent crimes to obtain a concealed carry permit, then NM DPS will work to adjust the reciprocity agreement to clarify to that state’s permit holders that they can carry a concealed weapon in New Mexico so long as they are a U.S. Citizen, over 21 years of age, and not convicted of disqualifying violent crimes.  

Information on this webpage will be updated to include those states that (a) have a current reciprocity agreement that will not need to be adjusted because they have a concealed carry statute that is similar to New Mexico’s (or more stringent), (b) have a current reciprocity agreement that must be adjusted to ensure compliance with New Mexico law, and (c) have not entered into any reciprocity agreement with the state.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RHenriksen »

Man, don't blink or you might miss something! Makes me think I need to pull over on the interstate at the state line, and check online for the latest version before I dare venture forth into another state... :-D
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Updated the map: - Updated 7/17/2012 - Added 21+ to NM.

Ryan

Moby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Moby »

Does anyone know why NV does not recognize our CHL????
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

jrandyw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jrandyw »

I have a friend coming to visit me in Texas from Wisconsin soon. He has a permit (CCW) in WI and thought he was good to go to carry in Texas because the Wisconsin Department of Justice website has Texas listed as having reciprocity with Wisconsin. However, after some checking on my part, I'm finding that it seems only the Wisconsin Department of Justice seems to think that's the case. Does anyone here know anything more about this?

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/Con ... rocity.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
6/16/12 CHL
NRA Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

Wisconsin honors Texas, but Texas has never signed a reciprocity agreement with Wisconsin, so we don't honor theirs.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jrandyw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jrandyw »

Thanks Keith. Its pretty clear to me now that I re-read what it actually says on the Wisconsin website. I just wish we'd extend the same courtesy to WI as they extend to TX.
6/16/12 CHL
NRA Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

jrandyw wrote:Thanks Keith. Its pretty clear to me now that I re-read what it actually says on the Wisconsin website. I just wish we'd extend the same courtesy to WI as they extend to TX.
Wisconsin has only had concealed carry for about a year. They have to approach each state they want full reciprocity with and ask get the attorney general or governor to sign it. It takes some time and the will of the state officials to try and secure that reciprocity. If you look at the reciprocity map you will see that there a LOT unilateral reciprocity states where Wisconsin honors them, but the other state do not honor them do to no written or statutorial reciprocity.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jumping Frog »

Keith B wrote:
jrandyw wrote:Thanks Keith. Its pretty clear to me now that I re-read what it actually says on the Wisconsin website. I just wish we'd extend the same courtesy to WI as they extend to TX.
Wisconsin has only had concealed carry for about a year. They have to approach each state they want full reciprocity with and ask get the attorney general or governor to sign it. It takes some time and the will of the state officials to try and secure that reciprocity. If you look at the reciprocity map you will see that there a LOT unilateral reciprocity states where Wisconsin honors them, but the other state do not honor them do to no written or statutorial reciprocity.
But I thought Texas grants automatic reciprocity to any state that conducts an NICS background check in the licensing process?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Other States”