Carry in TX with a PA Non-Res CCL?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
hadasamatter
Posts in topic: 4

Carry in TX with a PA Non-Res CCL?

Post by hadasamatter »

A very helpful person gave me the link to your website. I like what I see! But what brings me here foremost is that I have a Maine CCL, and also a PA Non-Resident CCL as I visit there from time to time. I will be coming to Texas on a short business trip in a couple of weeks, also, I had planned to vacation there next year so I thought I'd apply for my TX carry license. And then I found out I wouldn't have time to re-take the qualifying pistol course while I was there so I wouldn't be able to apply. (Already had my qualifying pistol course in Maine anyway!) But it appears Maine and Texas do not reciprocate, but I see that PA and Texas does. That noted, am I able to legally carry in Texas because I have a non-resident PA carry license?

I sure hope so ... I'm a woman traveling alone and always have my pistol on me. Thanks in advance for any info.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carry in TX with a PA Non-Res CCL?

Post by speedsix »

...Texas recognizes Pa licenses...and doesn't differentiate between resident and non-resident...you should be fine to carry here...

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

hadasamatter wrote:That noted, am I able to legally carry in Texas because I have a non-resident PA carry license?
When I moved here, that is exactly how I carried for the first 4-5 months. I had my Ohio CHL, which was not recognized in Texas, with a PA non-resident license.

I hope you enjoy your visit.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I am a Texan from birth, with a Texas CHL, but I have a PA non-resident as backup in case I lose mine.
My son lost his wallet yesterday so he is unarmed until his replacement plastic arrives.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
hadasamatter

Post by hadasamatter »

Well this is fantastic news - thank you.

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 2farnorth »

I know what you're going through. I'm in Texas and periodically need to make trips to Maine. My only solution is to get a Maine non-resident to be covered. Though Maine law requires the AG to set up reciprocal recognition they haven't bothered to do so. Part of the problem is that Maine doesn't have a central clearing house for CCL. It's primarily done by your local police chief. I used to have a Maine CCL, but when I moved back to Texas I had to turn it in to the the local chief in Maine. No provision for making it a non-res at the time.
N5PNZ

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by speedsix »

...Maine is one of those who will recognize a few states' permits...IF you reside in the state that issued it...I can't carry in Maine on a Pa. or a Fla...'cause I don't live there...

Topic author
hadasamatter

Post by hadasamatter »

2farnorth wrote:I know what you're going through. I'm in Texas and periodically need to make trips to Maine. My only solution is to get a Maine non-resident to be covered. Though Maine law requires the AG to set up reciprocal recognition they haven't bothered to do so. Part of the problem is that Maine doesn't have a central clearing house for CCL. It's primarily done by your local police chief. I used to have a Maine CCL, but when I moved back to Texas I had to turn it in to the the local chief in Maine. No provision for making it a non-res at the time.
Yep - I live in a town of about 1200 people and had to go to my local police station to apply. The police chief himself even brought it to my door when he was finished! Now that's service ... :)

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

hadasamatter wrote:
2farnorth wrote:I know what you're going through. I'm in Texas and periodically need to make trips to Maine. My only solution is to get a Maine non-resident to be covered. Though Maine law requires the AG to set up reciprocal recognition they haven't bothered to do so. Part of the problem is that Maine doesn't have a central clearing house for CCL. It's primarily done by your local police chief. I used to have a Maine CCL, but when I moved back to Texas I had to turn it in to the the local chief in Maine. No provision for making it a non-res at the time.
Yep - I live in a town of about 1200 people and had to go to my local police station to apply. The police chief himself even brought it to my door when he was finished! Now that's service ... :)
It was a similar sized town for me also, but I had to go hunt Gary (the chief) down at the 30 day point. He had forgotten about it and issued the next day.lol Wasn't even a provision for a pic on the permit then.
N5PNZ

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

speedsix wrote:...Maine is one of those who will recognize a few states' permits...IF you reside in the state that issued it...I can't carry in Maine on a Pa. or a Fla...'cause I don't live there...
Yeah Maine only recognizes 6 other states.
N5PNZ

Topic author
hadasamatter

Post by hadasamatter »

2farnorth wrote:It was a similar sized town for me also, but I had to go hunt Gary (the chief) down at the 30 day point. He had forgotten about it and issued the next day.lol Wasn't even a provision for a pic on the permit then.
lol - well, I neglected to mention the same thing happened to me. In such a small town where barely anything happens aside from a DUI, I'm afraid I didn't understand why it took so long ... I like that some places have a provision where it must be handled within a certain amount of time.

bkj

Post by bkj »

Lots of one day class around. In Houston "CHL Now" offers a class 7 days a week. $99.00 8:AM to 6:PM including shooting.
"When seconds count the police are minutes away" Nikki Goeser

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority…They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.” Noah Webster

Return to “Other States”