Moving to Mississippi

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
cctcaden
Posts in topic: 1

Moving to Mississippi

Post by cctcaden »

So the wife and I just found out we are relocating to the Memphis (TN) not (TX) area and after doing some research on the differences between TN chl and MS chl we are leaning toward Mississippi who has a 12 month residency restriction that is waived if one posseses a valid license from another state. I am not wild about paying 132 bucks to MS three months after paying 142 bucks to TX but it is what it is. Are there any former Tennesseeans or Mississippians on the board that can offer some sound advice.
When the game is over the King and the Pawn go back in the same box.

old Italian Proverb
5/13/11 Online App
5/18/11 Fingerprints
6/4/11 Class
6/6/11 Packet to DPS
6/13/11 Online Status
6/17/11 Background cleared
6/20/11 Mailed
6/24/11 PLASTIC IN HAND
18 DAYS MAILBOX TO MAILBOX!

KFP

Re: Moving to Mississippi

Post by KFP »

You're able to change your address on your Texas CHL online through DPS to your new out of state address. Texas has reciprocity with both TN and MS. Cost is $25.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff!

[youtube][/youtube]

Now, here's the interesting part with that video I've linked...the old gunsmith in Shooter...I had NO idea who he was. When I saw this video, I was flabbergasted. Hint: If you loved the award winning album "Dirt Farmer", you will do this: :eek6
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

lkd wrote:...the old gunsmith in Shooter...I had NO idea who he was.
Levon Helm
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

How does Tennessee's state income, property and sales tax, etc. compare to Mississippi's? You asked...

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Oldgringo wrote:How does Tennessee's state income, property and sales tax, etc. compare to Mississippi's? You asked...
That is a very relevant question. I haven't lived in MS in over a dozen years, but my dim recollection was that it was cheaper, tax-wise in MS compared to TN. MS v. TX was a wash tax wise, i.e., they have lower property taxes which they make up for with an income tax.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

cowboymd

Post by cowboymd »

An even more important stat regarding Memphis TN. :shock:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tn/memphis/crime/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

Bart

Post by Bart »

cowboymd wrote:An even more important stat regarding Memphis TN. :shock:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tn/memphis/crime/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rangemaster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

I used to spend a lot of time in Memphis, but that was 20+ years ago. Many areas have gotten really bad with a lot of gang activity. A lot of the malls have gotten pretty well known for gang hangouts. The Mall of Memphis was a showplace built in 1981, but got closed and totally torn down after about 20 years due to the crime issues. Hickory Ridge Mall used to be really nice, but it is very unsafe to go there now and you will not have a car, or at a minimum it will be missing the windows and tires/wheels, when you come out.

My suggestion for living locaitons is either south into Mississippi a ways, or quite a ways east-southeast into Collierville or farther out. Not sure what price range you are looking at though; that will make a differnce. Also, Tennessee tax structure is geared toward middle-class+ and Mississippi is geared toward lower income on tax structure, so that may help you on thinking about taxes.

Drop me a PM and I can maybe point you into a area depending on your $$$$ and income if you want.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:I used to spend a lot of time in Memphis, but that was 20+ years ago. Many areas have gotten really bad with a lot of gang activity. A lot of the malls have gotten pretty well known for gang hangouts. The Mall of Memphis was a showplace built in 1981, but got closed and totally torn down after about 20 years due to the crime issues. Hickory Ridge Mall used to be really nice, but it is very unsafe to go there now and you will not have a car, or at a minimum it will be missing the windows and tires/wheels, when you come out.
Why is that? :coolgleamA:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Oldgringo wrote:
Keith B wrote:I used to spend a lot of time in Memphis, but that was 20+ years ago. Many areas have gotten really bad with a lot of gang activity. A lot of the malls have gotten pretty well known for gang hangouts. The Mall of Memphis was a showplace built in 1981, but got closed and totally torn down after about 20 years due to the crime issues. Hickory Ridge Mall used to be really nice, but it is very unsafe to go there now and you will not have a car, or at a minimum it will be missing the windows and tires/wheels, when you come out.
Gangs and thugs. No different than a lot of other cities (Dallas, Houston, St. Louis, Detroit, LA, etc.) just got to know where to not go.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Gangs and thugs. No different than a lot of other cities (Dallas, Houston, St. Louis, Detroit, LA, etc.) just got to know where to not go.
It's unfortunate that Memphis is in Tennessee. Memphis gives the Volunteer State a black eye. Memphis would be better suited to be in Arkansas, IMO, and would be except for a wandering bend in the Mississippi River several thousand years ago..

Return to “Other States”