Illinois - Quinn writes stricter rules into concealed carry

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gthaustex
Posts in topic: 2

Illinois - Quinn writes stricter rules into concealed carry

Post by gthaustex »

Illinois Governor Quinn didn't like the bill sent to him by the Illinois legislature, so he made some edits / amendments to it.
Gov. Pat Quinn on Tuesday made sweeping changes to a bill that would allow concealed guns to be carried in public, writing in tougher regulations he deemed "common sense" amid staunch criticism from lawmakers who say they are poised to overturn his efforts when they return to Springfield next week.
He is worried that people could carry as many guns as they liked and into some areas he thought should be off limits. He added in a change that would restrict citizens to carrying only one firearm with a maximum capacity of ten rounds.
The move sets up a showdown in Springfield between the Democratic governor and state lawmakers who overwhelmingly backed a rare and carefully constructed compromise on the often volatile issue of gun regulations despite ideological, cultural and geographic divisions. Lawmakers were trying to beat a federal appeals court deadline to set up rules allowing people to carry concealed weapons after judges tossed out Illinois' last-in-the-nation ban in December.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 ... egulations

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Illinois - Quinn writes stricter rules into concealed ca

Post by jayinsat »

Even lawmakers who agree with some of Quinn's proposed changes said they are prepared to support an override, arguing the governor should have been more involved in end-of-session negotiations. Moreover, they said it's too close to the July 9 court deadline to seriously consider Quinn's suggestions, saying the state must avoid a situation in which there would be no concealed carry laws on the books and anyone with a firearm owner's identification card could pack a gun whenever and wherever they wanted.
:shock:

From this paragraph, it seems to me that the best thing that could happen is for them to miss the July 9th deadline. If that's true, I say stall. Stall, stall stall.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

Every state has to go through this, acting as if they are the first state ever to deal with these issues. The restaurants, parking lots, churches, long class time, endless paperwork, multiple guns...all the while pretending that these have not been dealt with elsewhere and none of their paranoia (if you give them credit for honest paranoia) has come to pass elsewhere over the last 35 years or so..

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

Where does all of this leave reciprocity? It was my understanding that the bill from the Legislature didn't include it. Further, I understood that an out of State CHL/CCW was considered to be an IL FOID.

If the wheels come off and the veto isn't overridden, would that mean that we out of Staters could carry in IL? Lack of ability to carry is only one of several reasons that currently keep me out of IL but I might change my mind if Texas CHL ended up being honored in Chicago by default. I would have a smug grin on my face after that happened. I would like nothing better than to walk past Mayor Rambo's office armed. Since there won't be the governor's restriction on the number of concealed guns, I'd take my BUG, too. :evil2:

Yes, Yes. I know. It is all a pipe dream. The duly elected representatives of "the people" of IL are never going to let that happen.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

As an ISRA Life Memberr in absentia, I have been following this with great interest. Quinn made his amendatory veto with pontifications that basically said that he knows more than the legislature and the courts.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

A-R

Post by A-R »

Indiana gun writer eviscerates Gov Quinn

http://www.thebangswitch.com/gov-quinn- ... his-hands/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

House blocks Quinn’s concealed-carry amendatory veto. Senate to vote this afternoon.

http://voices.suntimes.com/early-and-of ... tory-veto/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

From the article: "There was one other development in the flurry of gun debate at the Statehouse: a call from state Rep. Monique Davis (D-Chicago) on Gov. Pat Quinn and Mayor Rahm Emanuel to open the door for the National Guard to come into the city to help quell gun violence."
These people are not playing with a full 6pack. Kent state anyone?

Topic author
gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

They voted to allow it. His veto was just overidden....

http://news.yahoo.com/illinois-house-vo ... 37243.html

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AP: ILLINOIS ENACTS NATION'S FINAL CONCEALED-GUN LAW
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/lawmaker ... s-gun-bill
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Illinois became the last state in the nation to allow public possession of concealed guns as lawmakers rushed Tuesday to finalize a proposal ahead of a federal court's deadline.

Both houses of the General Assembly voted to override changes Gov. Pat Quinn made to the bill they approved more than a month ago. Some lawmakers expressed fear that failure to pass something would mean virtually unregulated weapons in Chicago, which has endured severe gun violence in recent months.

The Senate voted 41-17 in favor of the override Tuesday afternoon after the House voted 77-31, margins that met the three-fifths threshold needed to set aside the amendatory veto. Quinn had used his veto authority to suggest changes such as prohibiting guns in restaurants that serve alcohol and limiting gun-toting citizens to one firearm at a time.

Quinn had predicted a "showdown in Springfield" after a week of Chicago appearances to drum up support for the changes he made in the amendatory veto.

But lawmakers had little appetite for fiddling any further with the legislation on the deadline day the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals had set for ending what it said was an unconstitutional ban on carrying concealed weapons. Without action, the previous gun law would be invalidated and none would take its place.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

android

Post by android »

Good for them!
Now there will surely be blood in the streets, just like in TX and the other 48 states that allow concealed carry!

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Sweet. Now the state police get another six months to gear up.

I like the sound of 300,000 anticipated licenses granted in the first year. Wonder how long the S.P. will take to process applications? And how gracefully the Chicago PD will handle citizens who are lawfully carrying?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

Has anyone read the full legislation? Just curious if there's anything that addresses reciprocity agreements with other states, as in allowing agreements to be negotiated by a certain state body, or state law presumptions, to prevent Chicago from enacting tighter restrictions.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

android

Post by android »

hpcatx wrote:Has anyone read the full legislation? Just curious if there's anything that addresses reciprocity agreements with other states, as in allowing agreements to be negotiated by a certain state body, or state law presumptions, to prevent Chicago from enacting tighter restrictions.
Last I read, you can carry a loaded handgun in your car if you have license from another state, but cannot carry concealed.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

android wrote:
hpcatx wrote:Has anyone read the full legislation? Just curious if there's anything that addresses reciprocity agreements with other states, as in allowing agreements to be negotiated by a certain state body, or state law presumptions, to prevent Chicago from enacting tighter restrictions.
Last I read, you can carry a loaded handgun in your car if you have license from another state, but cannot carry concealed.
:iagree: I skimmed through the LONG bill this afternoon and should have cut and pasted the part that goes something like "nothing in the bill should be construed to prevent an non-resident from keeping an concealed gun in their car." I looked at that part for wording that said that the gun had to be unloaded but I didn't find it. So it looks like you can drive through IL now with a loaded concealed handgun but I sure don't want to be the test case for it.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Other States”