New Jersey ?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
kde71450
Posts in topic: 2

New Jersey ?

Post by kde71450 »

I know there is no reciprocity with NJ. However if i drive there, Before crossing their border. Unloading my firearm and locking it in a case (Ammo packed elsewhere) can I at least legally and safely transport my weapon (I have a single firearm steel lockable case for it). I hate to get into trouble in NJ. (Not going soon but might in spring).

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Jersey ?

Post by RottenApple »

Did you check Handgunlaw.us? They've usually got good, up-to-date info.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

kde71450 wrote:I know there is no reciprocity with NJ. However if i drive there, Before crossing their border. Unloading my firearm and locking it in a case (Ammo packed elsewhere) can I at least legally and safely transport my weapon (I have a single firearm steel lockable case for it). I hate to get into trouble in NJ. (Not going soon but might in spring).
Drive around it rather than through it if you can.

That state has more ways to get arrested just for being a gun owner than just about anywhere else outside of DC.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

kde71450 wrote:I know there is no reciprocity with NJ. However if i drive there, Before crossing their border. Unloading my firearm and locking it in a case (Ammo packed elsewhere) can I at least legally and safely transport my weapon (I have a single firearm steel lockable case for it). I hate to get into trouble in NJ. (Not going soon but might in spring).
That will work if you are passing through NJ.

But it will not protect you if NJ is your destination. Federal transport law only applies when you can legally possess the firearm and ammo in both the origin state and the destination state. Repeat, you cannot possess the unlicensed handgun in NJ if you are staying in NJ - only when passing through to a free state like Vermont.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

:iagree:
Excaliber wrote:
Drive around it rather than through it if you can.

That state has more ways to get arrested just for being a gun owner than just about anywhere else outside of DC.
NRA Endowment Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jumping Frog wrote:
That will work if you are passing through NJ.

But it will not protect you if NJ is your destination. Federal transport law only applies when you can legally possess the firearm and ammo in both the origin state and the destination state. Repeat, you cannot possess the unlicensed handgun in NJ if you are staying in NJ - only when passing through to a free state like Vermont.
I agree with Senor Frogs assessment here.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

FL450

Post by FL450 »

Even if your legal to transport thru NJ on way to legal state if your outed there is a good chance of being arrested and letting the DA handle it. (The ole beat the rap but not the ride)
Ciminals have more rights.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Doesn't NJ also prohibit the common citizen from carrying hollow points?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I had to go looking for it.

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like a giant pain in the neck, but might be legal. I'm so glad I got to see that beautiful part of the country when I was just a teenager and don't feel the need to go back.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
kde71450

Post by kde71450 »

I have family in NJ wold like to drive up there and visit this spring..... Might stop of at friends mother who lives in PA and have them hold my firearm while i am in NJ. Otherwise i guess Ill leave it home.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

wasn't it NJ that a soldier ended up in jail because he had a gun in the trunk? I thought it was unloaded? these days....I don't think I'd take one north of the M-D line....but then I'm not sure I'd go north of it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

C-dub wrote:Doesn't NJ also prohibit the common citizen from carrying hollow points?
Yes.

If caught, each one is a felony.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I was in and out of New Jersey & NYC during construction of the WTC's back in the 60's. I have absolutely no desire to go back there at all.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

C-dub wrote:Doesn't NJ also prohibit the common citizen from carrying hollow points?
I believe FOPA would protect you if just passing through.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Ow ... _provision" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it's legal where you're coming from, and legal where you're going to, and you're not stopping in NJ for anything other than food, fuel and a restroom.

IANAL. This is my OPINION, not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

If you are driving to NJ may I make recommendation. Drive through PA....find a gun store in PA along your route. Drop your gun off there to have it cleaned professionally. Pick it up on your way back through.

Seriously NJ is the pitts for guns. If they think you might have owned a gun at some point in your life, they will look for a way to throw you in jail. For heavens sakes sling shots are illegal there.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Return to “Other States”