SC Proposed enhanced concealed carry law

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
BlueMerle
Posts in topic: 9

SC Proposed enhanced concealed carry law

Post by BlueMerle »

I ran across this story at http://bearingarms.com/nc-state-senator ... g-schools/ about a new bill that would create an enhanced concealed carry license.

FTA:
The bill would create a new class of enhanced concealed carry permit holder with a badge and the ability to carry a firearm anywhere a law enforcement officer may also carry a weapon.
Emphasis mine.

I'm ok with all of the provisions in this bill except the badge part. I have a real problem with that.

Just wondering how others feel about it.

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SC Proposed enhanced concealed carry law

Post by A-R »

BlueMerle wrote:I ran across this story at http://bearingarms.com/nc-state-senator ... g-schools/ about a new bill that would create an enhanced concealed carry license.

FTA:
The bill would create a new class of enhanced concealed carry permit holder with a badge and the ability to carry a firearm anywhere a law enforcement officer may also carry a weapon.
Emphasis mine.

I'm ok with all of the provisions in this bill except the badge part. I have a real problem with that.

Just wondering how others feel about it.
+1

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Not a fan of the badge for non-LE personnel. Also, the proposed training is more than police receive and then there's the cost.
It isn’t yet known what the cost of the enhanced carry course and the simunitions training classes will be if the bill becomes law, but the permit fee for the enhanced permit is the same as that of a regular concealed carry permit at $80, with renewals at $75. The total cost of training, psychological screening and other requirements, however, may push the actual cost of obtaining such a permit near $1,000.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
BlueMerle

Post by BlueMerle »

C-dub wrote:Not a fan of the badge for non-LE personnel. Also, the proposed training is more than police receive and then there's the cost.
It isn’t yet known what the cost of the enhanced carry course and the simunitions training classes will be if the bill becomes law, but the permit fee for the enhanced permit is the same as that of a regular concealed carry permit at $80, with renewals at $75. The total cost of training, psychological screening and other requirements, however, may push the actual cost of obtaining such a permit near $1,000.
Honestly, I don't think the cost will be an issue for the kind of people that want a "Badge".

Badges will do nothing but create confusion among the general public. They'll assume, understandably, that the person is LEO when they're not. This could introduce a whole new set of problems and may lead to dire consequences.

Badges should be reserved for those that have actual authority... imo.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

BlueMerle wrote:
C-dub wrote:Not a fan of the badge for non-LE personnel. Also, the proposed training is more than police receive and then there's the cost.
Honestly, I don't think the cost will be an issue for the kind of people that want a "Badge".

Badges will do nothing but create confusion among the general public. They'll assume, understandably, that the person is LEO when they're not. This could introduce a whole new set of problems and may lead to dire consequences.

:iagree:
I don't understand the fascination with badges for people who just want to carry a gun. I understand that it might prevent you from getting shot by an LEO in certain situations but there have been a number of accidental shooting of plain clothes officers to disprove that myth. Since most of us will never use our firearm it seems like we'd only want a badge (as a CHL holder) if we wanted to do nefarious things with it.

I know that I wouldn't want a "badge" because I wouldn't want to offend every LEO I encounter by having some fake tin on my hip.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Would I pay $1000 to be able to carry everywhere a LEO does?

In a heartbeat.

Do I think it's right to put that high a price on an enumerated right?

Certainly not.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

CoffeeNut wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:

I also agree that a badge for a non-LEO is a bad idea. Even as a former LEO, I wouldn't display one without a valid agency commission.

I understand some folks think it would keep them from getting shot by arriving LEO's in a chaotic situation, but that's a misconception. Studies by the Force Science Institute have shown that responding LEO's focus on the weapon and often miss a badge even when it's conspicuously displayed.

Displaying a badge will lead to allegations of impersonating an LEO even when that was not the intent.

That part of the bill is a bad idea all the way around.

:iagree:
I don't understand the fascination with badges for people who just want to carry a gun. I understand that it might prevent you from getting shot by an LEO in certain situations but there have been a number of accidental shooting of plain clothes officers to disprove that myth. Since most of us will never use our firearm it seems like we'd only want a badge (as a CHL holder) if we wanted to do nefarious things with it.

I know that I wouldn't want a "badge" because I wouldn't want to offend every LEO I encounter by having some fake tin on my hip.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
BlueMerle

Post by BlueMerle »

RoyGBiv wrote:Would I pay $1000 to be able to carry everywhere a LEO does?

In a heartbeat.

Certainly not.

Take the badge out of the equation and I'm right there with you.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

We don't need no stinkin badges!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The 2A doesn't say anything about more stinkin' training to exercise a right.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

This sort of thing appeals to the wannabe cop.

I can see some knuckleheads whipping out their dopey badge and trying to bully people or worse...

This is a very bad idea.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

BlueMerle wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Would I pay $1000 to be able to carry everywhere a LEO does?

In a heartbeat.

Certainly not.

Take the badge out of the equation and I'm right there with you.
I would (reluctantly) wear a badge if required, although I agree it's a bad idea and would fight against it.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Seriously, though... badges are a REALLY bad idea. You might have people who run up to you and ask for help on a serious matter because they think you are a LEO or Security, and this matter is something that should absolutely only be dealt with by an officer... then what do you do? Next, some bad guy sees a badge and shoots you first.

I guess you can conceal the badge on your belt beside your pistol like off-duty cops do, if the law allows for the badge to be concealed... then the badge becomes one more uncomfortable thing on your belt.

The only possible thing that I think that a badge could do is if you are in a mall or wally world and someone goes active shooter on you and uniformed officers are swarming and you have your gun out to defend yourself if necessary... it would be nice to flash them a badge at that point. But then again, that badge might look shiny like a pistol and get you shot. So, even then... it might not help you.

I think some SC State Rep wants a badge...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
BlueMerle

Post by BlueMerle »

AJSully421 wrote:Seriously, though... badges are a REALLY bad idea. You might have people who run up to you and ask for help on a serious matter because they think you are a LEO or Security, and this matter is something that should absolutely only be dealt with by an officer... then what do you do? Next, some bad guy sees a badge and shoots you first.

I guess you can conceal the badge on your belt beside your pistol like off-duty cops do, if the law allows for the badge to be concealed... then the badge becomes one more uncomfortable thing on your belt.

The only possible thing that I think that a badge could do is if you are in a mall or wally world and someone goes active shooter on you and uniformed officers are swarming and you have your gun out to defend yourself if necessary... it would be nice to flash them a badge at that point. But then again, that badge might look shiny like a pistol and get you shot. So, even then... it might not help you.

I think some SC State Rep wants a badge...
Yep. I'm hopeful that the legislature sees the problem and removes the 'badge' language from the bill. And then TX adopts something similar, or just removes most the restrictions on where we can carry.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

So, we in Texas can pay extra to go to the head of the line, kinda like the system at Disney World...

Then you can have a "Plebeian" class CHL vs. a "Patrician" class CHL.

No thanks!

Return to “Other States”