Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Post Reply

Topic author
mr1337
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Austin

Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#1

Post by mr1337 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:11 am

Nevada recently passed SB175 which means the Department of Public Safety has the authority to recognize all CCW licenses from other states, as long as there is some sort of training that goes with the license. That's good news for a lot of Americans, but especially for Texas because of our class requirement.

I've been to Vegas a few times before I got my CHL. A little burnt out on it, but I like the option of carrying if I ever choose to go back.

I think Utah would be recognized as well, which is the go-to CHL for lots of people outside Texas because of the ease of finding UT CCW instructors nationwide.

I skimmed through the bill and it looks like they may have unintentionally (or intentionally?) made airsoft guns, paintball markers, corn/potato launchers, and shirt cannons match the definition of "firearm" under their state law.

Emphasis mine:
(b) “Firearm” includes, without limitation, a pistol,
revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, submachine gun, black
powder weapon, muzzle-loading firearm or any device which is
designed to, able to or able to be
readily converted to expel a projectile through
the barrel by the action of an explosive,
other form of combustion or expanding gases.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

User avatar

GeekwithaGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 924
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am
Location: Hickory Creek

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#2

Post by GeekwithaGun » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:33 am

mr1337 wrote:Nevada recently passed SB175 which means the Department of Public Safety has the authority to recognize all CCW licenses from other states, as long as there is some sort of training that goes with the license. That's good news for a lot of Americans, but especially for Texas because of our class requirement.

I've been to Vegas a few times before I got my CHL. A little burnt out on it, but I like the option of carrying if I ever choose to go back.

I think Utah would be recognized as well, which is the go-to CHL for lots of people outside Texas because of the ease of finding UT CCW instructors nationwide.

I skimmed through the bill and it looks like they may have unintentionally (or intentionally?) made airsoft guns, paintball markers, corn/potato launchers, and shirt cannons match the definition of "firearm" under their state law.

Emphasis mine:
(b) “Firearm” includes, without limitation, a pistol,
revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, submachine gun, black
powder weapon, muzzle-loading firearm or any device which is
designed to, able to or able to be
readily converted to expel a projectile through
the barrel by the action of an explosive,
other form of combustion or expanding gases.

I am not a scientist nor expert in what constitutes "expanding gases", however I believe the highlighted "guns" use "compressed" gases and would not be in the same class.

of course I could be completely wrong - so don't quote me :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member


Topic author
mr1337
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#3

Post by mr1337 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:36 pm

GeekwithaGun wrote:
mr1337 wrote:Nevada recently passed SB175 which means the Department of Public Safety has the authority to recognize all CCW licenses from other states, as long as there is some sort of training that goes with the license. That's good news for a lot of Americans, but especially for Texas because of our class requirement.

I've been to Vegas a few times before I got my CHL. A little burnt out on it, but I like the option of carrying if I ever choose to go back.

I think Utah would be recognized as well, which is the go-to CHL for lots of people outside Texas because of the ease of finding UT CCW instructors nationwide.

I skimmed through the bill and it looks like they may have unintentionally (or intentionally?) made airsoft guns, paintball markers, corn/potato launchers, and shirt cannons match the definition of "firearm" under their state law.

Emphasis mine:
(b) “Firearm” includes, without limitation, a pistol,
revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, submachine gun, black
powder weapon, muzzle-loading firearm or any device which is
designed to, able to or able to be
readily converted to expel a projectile through
the barrel by the action of an explosive,
other form of combustion or expanding gases.

I am not a scientist nor expert in what constitutes "expanding gases", however I believe the highlighted "guns" use "compressed" gases and would not be in the same class.

of course I could be completely wrong - so don't quote me :mrgreen:
Oops I quoted you :lol:

CO2-powered airsoft guns (not all airsoft guns are CO2), paintball markers (use CO2 or compressed air), corn/potato/shirt launchers also use compressed air

The way I see it, these would be considered "any device which is designed to, able to or able to be readily converted to expel a projectile through the barrel by the action of expanding gases"

Of course, I'm no expert in law, nor am I well versed in NV firearm law, but this change seems pretty clear to me.

I wonder if the change in language will also change sales of those types of devices based on the new verbiage. If so, it's a big loss. However, the bill as a whole is a bigger win, both for Nevadans and visitors who hold a CCW license that hopefully Nevada will choose to accept soon.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.


SirTexasSir
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:29 am

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#4

Post by SirTexasSir » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Just saw the posted list, we are not on it.

User avatar

FL450
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:48 am
Location: Pearland, Texas

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#5

Post by FL450 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:15 pm

Doesnt Las Vegas have special requirments
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.


dcphoto
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: not Austin

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#6

Post by dcphoto » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:03 pm

GeekwithaGun wrote:I am not a scientist nor expert in what constitutes "expanding gases", however I believe the highlighted "guns" use "compressed" gases and would not be in the same class.

of course I could be completely wrong - so don't quote me :mrgreen:
Guns using compressed gas release a metered volume of gas into a chamber where it expands driving the projectile down the barrel. I don't think there's any doubt that things like paintball guns, airsoft, t-shirt cannons and the like meet that definition.

I won't speculate as to the intent.

User avatar

denwego
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#7

Post by denwego » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:32 pm

If you look at the sections the definitions are contained in, there's only good, no bad:
9. As used in this section:
(a) “Ammunition” includes, without limitation, fixed cartridge
ammunition and the individual components thereof, shotgun
shells and the individual components thereof, projectiles for
muzzle-loading firearms and any propellant used in firearms or
ammunition.
(b) “Firearm” [means] includes, without limitation, a pistol,
revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, submachine gun, black
powder weapon, muzzle-loading firearm or any device which is
designed to [be used as a weapon from which] , able to or able to be
readily converted to expel a projectile [may be expelled] through
the barrel by the [force] action of [any explosion or] an explosive,
other form of combustion [.
(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms
having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is
intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.] or expanding gases.

The important part is "in this section" - it means that air guns, BB guns, most airsoft guns, paintball guns, etc., are all embraced within the meaning of "firearm" for preemption purposes, but the criminal codes which penalize carry, or regulate purchase/transfer, etc., are governed by the conventional definition of propelled-by-explosives.

User avatar

CedarElm7
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:55 am
Location: West Texas

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#8

Post by CedarElm7 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:51 am

An alternative ...

Arizona's Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP) is relatively easy to acquire by mail. And Nevada recognizes the Arizona CWP.
*Texas CHL* *NRA* *TSRA* *SAF* *GOA* *NSSF* Μολών Λαβέ


Topic author
mr1337
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#9

Post by mr1337 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:51 am

SirTexasSir wrote:Just saw the posted list, we are not on it.
Could you share the list? (and source)
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.


dawgfishboy
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#10

Post by dawgfishboy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:21 pm

mr1337 wrote:
SirTexasSir wrote:Just saw the posted list, we are not on it.
Could you share the list? (and source)
List
(Source)

User avatar

CleverNickname
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#11

Post by CleverNickname » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Supposedly Nevada may add more states in the near future as they review other state's laws.

Also, if a Texan doesn't want to have to travel to Nevada to take the training to get a non-resident Nevada permit, it is possible to get a non-resident Arizona permit by mail. If Nevada doesn't end up recognizing one of my other permits that's what I'll probably end up doing.

User avatar

RetNavy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:21 am
Location: Paris, Tx

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#12

Post by RetNavy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:50 pm

checked http://www.handgunlaw.us/ this morning and jsut checked the CCW app on my phone and both showed that Nevada reconized Arizona permits.... since i have two kids that live in L.V. when i visit them its nice to know that the time i took to get a Arizona Non-Resident License was a good investment.
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

User avatar

CleverNickname
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#13

Post by CleverNickname » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:32 pm

CleverNickname wrote:Supposedly Nevada may add more states in the near future as they review other state's laws.
I checked up on this and apparently Nevada already released a second, revised recognition list. The sole addition was Mississippi enhanced permits. Looks like NV non-resident or AZ non-resident permits are the only option for Texas residents.

http://gsd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gsdnvgo ... e%2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3283
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#14

Post by chasfm11 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:29 pm

CleverNickname wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:Supposedly Nevada may add more states in the near future as they review other state's laws.
I checked up on this and apparently Nevada already released a second, revised recognition list. The sole addition was Mississippi enhanced permits. Looks like NV non-resident or AZ non-resident permits are the only option for Texas residents.

http://gsd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gsdnvgo ... e%2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have any idea (other than politics) why Texas would not make the list? The CHL requirements here, other than the renewals, seem as robust as the ones on the list.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero

User avatar

CleverNickname
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Re: Nevada reciprocity may be coming!

#15

Post by CleverNickname » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:31 pm

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it might be the fact that Texas will issue a license to people between 18-20 who are on active duty or who have been honorably discharged. Some other states also don't recognize us for that reason, but Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Virginia (which also all have requirements for a licensee to be 21) manage to recognize Texas licenses held by >=21 year-olds.

This would also explain why Nevada doesn't recognize Florida, because Florida has the same 18-20 active duty or honorably discharged provision in their law.

Post Reply

Return to “Other States”