South Dakota / Wyoming Trip After Action Review

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RJGold
Posts in topic: 2

South Dakota / Wyoming Trip After Action Review

Post by RJGold »

Just got back from a trip to SD and WY. Here are a few points / observations from the trip:

- As usual, the airlines seem to operate according to their own rules. When I checked my firearms in Houston, the agent did not want to see them. She only verified that the box was locked and had me sign the affidavit (orange form). When I checked them in Rapid City this morning, the agent (same airline) wanted me to show her they were unloaded (and actually seemed to know what she was looking for). Other than that, no issues checking firearms.

- We visited mutliple National Parks and Forests in SD and WY, most buildings are posted with "no gun" signs. This is true of lodges and hotels in the National Parks (more on this later) so you need a strategy for storing your weapon when you are in these situations (Visitor Centers, Museums, Ranger Stations, etc).

- I did carry past a "no gun" sign in a private park in SD as it was not a defined "no carry" location according to law. No issue doing this.

- We stayed in Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park for a few nights. The large motels in the parks are posted with "no gun" signs. Individual cabins are not posted. If you are going there and have the time to plan, staying in individual cabins will allow you to keep your firearm in the room with you instead of locked in your vehicle (at least as far as I can tell). Restaurants and Grills are also posted uniformly throughout these parks.

- I did see one person open carrying in Wyoming. He was driving a vehicle with Missouri plates (looked like his vehicle and not a rental). We were in a fairly busy scenic overlook area with people from multiple states there (based on license plates). No one seemed concerned about the open carry.

- The parks are careful to point out on their websites that while carrying is legal (under state laws for carry), discharging is illegal. They also point out that use of a firearm is not an acceptable strategy for dealing with aggressive wildlife (namely bears).

- I will also note that at Mt. Rushmore, I noticed two National Park Rangers in body armour, carrying Glocks, both had multiple spare magazines (I think 6 to 8 each) and they seemed to be "patrolling" the main areas. I did not observe armed rangers at other parks. Maybe Rushmore is identified as a potential target and gets more attention?

- Lastly, I was pulled over in WY for speeding (I can't believe a state with so many wide open spaces has a speed limit of 65 mph). I did not inform the officer I was carrying nor did I show him my CHL (according to WY law I am not required). He did not ask. He did give me an opportunity to contribute to the WY state budget which I will do on line as I was guilty as his radar gun confirmed.

All in all, a positive travel experience with firearms.

Also, one of the most beautiful trips we've ever taken. My wife and daughter easily took 300+ photos a day each of scenic beauty and wildlife. If you haven't been to this part of the US, I highly recommend it.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: South Dakota / Wyoming Trip After Action Review

Post by RoyGBiv »

Few places on this planet can compare to Yellowstone.

Welcome home. :txflag:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Thanks for posting details of your trip. We've never traveled to that pat of the US. Sorry you got a speeding ticket. You mentioned wide open spaces. I was under the impression Wyoming had 70 MPH on freeways/interstates unless it is urban. I remember looking up different states a few years back. Montana had no limits until the government forced them to post or lose funding. Accidents actually increased dramatically after the change. I think they doubled at one point. I may look that up again.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
RJGold
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RJGold »

puma guy wrote:Thanks for posting details of your trip. We've never traveled to that pat of the US. Sorry you got a speeding ticket. You mentioned wide open spaces. I was under the impression Wyoming had 70 MPH on freeways/interstates unless it is urban. I remember looking up different states a few years back. Montana had no limits until the government forced them to post or lose funding. Accidents actually increased dramatically after the change. I think they doubled at one point. I may look that up again.
Thanks. Interstates are posted at 65, 75, or 80 depending on location. We were on a state highway which was posted at 65. I "earned" my speeding ticket as I was traveling at 77. Based on conditions, visibility, and distance view, I felt I was traveling at a safe speed. The Sheriff didn't think so. In the end, the fine will be $76 so not as much damage as there could have been. Even with the ticket, it was an awesome trip. As a post-script, I did keep my speed in check for the remainder of the trip so I guess the Sheriff got his point across.

If you're thinking about traveling to this part of the country, it's worth the trip. I'm sure there are more beautiful places on earth but they have to be few in number. It was absolutely stunning.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Return to “Other States”